SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    New Jersey could hike fees for buying guns by as much as 25-fold
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

New Jersey could hike fees for buying guns by as much as 25-fold Login/Join 
posted
http://www.guns.com/2018/06/22...m&utm_source=twitter

Newly elected Democratic Gov. Phil Murphy continues his streak of anti-gun measures with a proposal to hit the state’s gun owners and sellers with big fee increases for licenses and permits.

As previously reported by Guns.com, Murphy, a Democrat, had folded $2 million in expected new revenue generated from gun licensing in his early draft of the state’s budget in March. However, his office did not detail how the fees would be structured. Now, according to information obtained by NJ Advance Media, the proposed bump in fees are significant.

Handgun purchase permits, required by law to buy a firearm in the Garden State, would jump from $2 to $50. The mandatory firearms identification cards needed to own a gun or buy ammunition would increase from $5 to $100. Handgun carry permits, already notoriously hard to obtain in the state, would balloon from $50 to $400 — which would make them the highest in the country. For reference, the neighboring states of Delaware and Pennsylvania charge fees for carry licenses of $65 and $20, respectively.

Gun dealers would also be hit by the change, with the cost of retail gun dealer licenses rising 10-fold, from $50 to $500; and manufacturer licenses leaping from $150 to $1,500. By comparison, federal fees charged by the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives for gun dealer and pawnbroker licenses is $200 while manufacturer licenses are $150.

In a public signing ceremony for a six-pack of gun control measures last week, Murphy slammed what he characterized as the low fees of firearm licensing in New Jersey. “We must please responsibly increase the fees for gun licenses and handgun permits,” he said. “It’s long past time we did this. The last time these fees were increased was 1966.”

Since taking office in January following a campaign supported by national gun control groups, Murphy has rolled back a number of pro-gun reforms backed by the outgoing administration of Republican Gov. Chris Christie, repeatedly slammed the gun lobby for the state’s instances of violent crime, shut out Second Amendment groups from gun policy discussions, and appointed a former lawyer for Giffords to a newly-created “gun czar” position. Murphy’s attorney general last week warned a number of gun parts makers they could face civil action for selling unfinished lowers and frames in the state and has been ordered by Murphy to publish a running “shame” list of firearm trace data.

Scott Bach, head of the state affiliate of the National Rifle Association, which is already engaged with the Murphy administration in a federal lawsuit, said the proposed fee hike would likely not withstand a legal challenge.

Posts: 12679 | Registered: January 17, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Just one more reason to stay away from the Garbage State.

"Once abolish the God, and the Government becomes the God." --- G.K. Chesterton

Posts: 3856 | Location: WNY | Registered: April 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
Mad

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30407 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
25-fold would be in the trillions of dollars, if not more.

25 times? Yes.

Sorry. Amateur math nerd.

Posts: 20099 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Why on earth would anyone live there?

Posts: 872 | Location: Louisiana and Florida | Registered: February 22, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of downtownv
posted Hide Post
Family, job maybe?

https://www.teampython.com

Posts: 8353 | Location: 18 miles long, 6 Miles at Sea | Registered: January 22, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hurstolds1:

Don't be obtuse.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30407 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Speling Champ
posted Hide Post
quote:
Newly elected Democratic Gov. Phil Murphy continues his streak of anti-gun measures with a proposal to hit the state’s gun owners and sellers with big fee increases for licenses and permits.

What a fantastic idea and I support this 100%

This will insure that dangerous firearms will remain where they belong: In the hands of middle, upper middle and wealthy people who by coincidence are also a mostly white demographic.

What a brilliant way to keep minorities and the poor one (or more) steps below their white betters er...neighbors, all while "doing something", "for the children".

Posts: 1604 | Location: Utah | Registered: July 06, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
quote:

It's largely a beautiful state.

Raising the cost of a NJ carry permit could generate hundred of dollars for the state! Big Grin
I know a bunch of people who would happily pay $400 for a carry permit if it meant they could actually get one. lmao

Posts: 21105 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
Must hate poor black people... This only harms the single black mother that just needs a way to protect her family, or other low income people. For most gun owners it would be no big deal, if I lived there I'd be annoyed, but probably buy just as many guns. For someone who has to save for many months or a year to buy a gun to protect their family this really hurts their safety. $150 just to buy one Glock or revolver to protect you children is insane.

Explain to me how this is different from a poll tax? The affluent are pretty much unaffected, the poor are priced out of their second amendment rights.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20819 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glorious SPAM!
Picture of mbinky
posted Hide Post
quote:
It's largely a beautiful state.

Hate to admit it, but yea. I drove through Jersey many, many times. I always started at the bottom right after the bridge and the southern half? Beautiful. Once you hit the merge it starts to look (and smell) crappy but until then? Not bad.

Posts: 10635 | Registered: June 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nature is full of
magnificent creatures
posted Hide Post
All of us who live in free States need to start donating to lawsuits by local groups against this nonsense. Not just the NRA-ILA, but the individual groups on the front lines. Find some good cases and sue away.

One more Supreme Court justice and the pendulum may just turn to the other direction.

Posts: 6273 | Registered: March 24, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glorious SPAM!
Picture of mbinky
posted Hide Post
quote:
One more Supreme Court justice and the pendulum may just turn to the other direction.

Assuming you can get the supremes to take a stand. More and more they look like congress: do nothing, offend no one. Like they took some some sad oath we know nothing about. Rendering verdicts designed to please everyone and settle nothing.

Posts: 10635 | Registered: June 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
In New Jersey, the 2nd Amendment can only be practiced by rich folks. Guns are legal, just need the cash.

...do I wait for the race hustlers to step-in and start the message that this will only hurt poor folks and minorities?

Posts: 14653 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
"Obtuse" is a bit harsh. I lived in San Francisco. In 1993 my wife and I both took a 25 percent pay cut and left her family in favor of Kentucky. Many, many people have left progressive states for the relative freedom of conservative states. I believe it is a valid lifestyle choice, and I encouraged many of my San Francisco friends with similar views to move with me. Within two years, four families relocated to various parts of KY, and several to TN and SC. If they imposed restrictive gun laws in KY, and I felt I had no chance of changing them, I would move, likely to Texas.

Posts: 17142 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fredward:
"Obtuse" is a bit harsh. I lived in San Francisco. In 1993 my wife and I both took a 25 percent pay cut and left her family in favor of Kentucky. Many, many people have left progressive states for the relative freedom of conservative states. I believe it is a valid lifestyle choice, and I encouraged many of my San Francisco friends with similar views to move with me. Within two years, four families relocated to various parts of KY, and several to TN and SC. If they imposed restrictive gun laws in KY, and I felt I had no chance of changing them, I would move, likely to Texas.

Fredward,

I wish I had your confidence in Texas. All major cities are blue as is most of South Texas. After the Santa Fe incident Abbott wants "Red Flag" legislation. Blue votes are either bought or imported. Kinda hard to beat a stacked deck.

Posts: 51 | Registered: June 29, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Constable
posted Hide Post
quote:

They have really good pizza and Italian food.

I left in 1979 as I was tired of the War against gun owners and hunters. The few gun shows we still had were soon to go the way of the dodo bird. Places I'd hunted as a kid closed down. I saw the writing on the wall.

I grew up in Hunterdon County. On a FARM. It was and still is, a beautiful area. Small game hunting was widespread and we got the first day of deer season off from High School. Then again, that was in the 1960's.

Your average Jerseyite is a decent, friendly person. Unfortunately far too many are Liberal Democrats...or at least VOTE that way.

I attended the State Police Academy in the 1970's. VERY anti gun rhetoric during classes. The attitude was gun ownership by Cops is fine. But Civilians have little or no need for them. Pose the subject of CCW by civilians and they were 100% against it.

New Jersey is a sad place to be if you are a shooter or hunter.

Posts: 7074 | Location: Craig, MT | Registered: December 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
When does an obstacle become infringement?

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29695 | Location: Highland, Ut. | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Northern Jersey and some other smaller areas are nice but the other parts are crap and unfortunately it's spreading. I was born there and lived there for a while and moved when my parents moved.Sadly the liberal mindset is moving as well.

Posts: 6883 | Location: Treasure Coast,Fl. | Registered: July 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Made from a
different mold
Picture of mutedblade
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by darthfuster:
When does an obstacle become infringement?

This. Didn’t they do away with poll taxes because it kept the lower income folks from exercising the same rights as the wealthy? Seems to me that this could be handily struck down if ever passed.

Posts: 2832 | Location: Lake Anna, VA | Registered: May 07, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post