SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Island Vacation recommendations please
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Island Vacation recommendations please Login/Join 
Working for Water
Picture of Chance228
posted
Its been quite the year for me and my family. We have not been a vacation in about 2 years for one reason or another. Looking to make this happen for the Spring break time period and are thinking an island destination. We have little experience traveling to the Caribbean so looking for anyone ones recommendations based on past experiences. We are leaning towards Aruba but interested what the members have to say. Wife and I are 43yo and our only child is a 12 yo daughter. Budget is flexible too. Thanks in advance, Ryan

Posts: 1050 | Location: Central New Jersey | Registered: February 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
We were gonna go to Aruba this summer also but that got cancelled. I’ve been to every island in the Caribbean at one time, I enjoyed St Martin as there are two distinct cultures there...I’d never go back to Jamaica, curaçao, Cuba, Dom Rep or Haiti.

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11247 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
In the yahd, not too
fah from the cah
Picture of ryan81986
posted Hide Post
Just in case there are still travel restrictions outside the US come spring, check out North Captiva Island in Florida. It's just a little bit south of Ft Myers. It's a great decompression vacation because once you're there (for the most part) you're there. You bring the majority of the food with you as there are only a couple restaurants on the island. You take a ferry over from the main land and use golf carts to get around on the island.

Posts: 6339 | Location: Just outside of Boston | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
St. Barts was great, and St. John was cool too. St. Barts was hit pretty bad by a hurricane a few years ago, not sure about St. John.

Puerto Rico is pretty good and easy to get to. You have beach, city, historic stuff (Spanish forts and city walls), rainforest all in one Island.

Posts: 4690 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
Was pleased in both Dominican Republic and St. Lucia. St. Lucia being my preference because it felt safer/cleaner.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20758 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
Kamalame Cay

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30546 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
British Virgin Islands are our favorite. We can sail so we stay on the boat that we sail ourselves and do our own schedule.
Beautiful place, no language or currency problems and seem very safe.
No telling what the travel situation will be by spring time.
Wherever you decide to go, make sure any deposit is refundable or stay in the US and plan for 2022.

Posts: 9456 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eschew Obfuscation
posted Hide Post
Been to Aruba. It was nice, but the wind was a PITA.

Not a slight breeze, but a constant wind - blowing sand in your face, knocking umbrellas over, etc. I would not go back.

(Caveat: We stayed at an all-inclusive resort that was underwhelming. That may contribute to my negative impression of Aruba.)

On the other hand, we loved the Cayman Islands, particularly Seven Mile Beach. So much so, that we went there every year for 10 years.

“Civilization is not inherited; it has to be learned and earned by each generation anew; if the transmission should be interrupted for one century, civilization would die, and we should be savages again." - Will Durant

Posts: 6373 | Location: Chicago, IL | Registered: December 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Have had many good times in Cozumel, México. Great scuba diving, absolutely great snorkeling!! Make sure you visit the west side of the island for some unique experiences! Watch out for the Morays, but night dives will let you play with octopus!

"Once abolish the God, and the Government becomes the God." --- G.K. Chesterton

Posts: 3856 | Location: WNY | Registered: April 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
paradox in a box
Picture of frayedends
posted Hide Post
Aruba all the way. The breeze was fine the times I've gone. Keeps temps from being too hot. Aruba isn't as scuzzy as most of the other islands.

These go to eleven.

Posts: 12407 | Location: Westminster, MA | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of TigerDore
posted Hide Post
What do you like to do? Aruba has some of the nicest locals you will find anywhere in the Caribbean, and a fairly unique, Dutch culture. The water is clear and the diving/snorkeling is very good. Otherwise, it is not a very picturesque island. It is a fairly flat desert in the middle of the ocean.

These are the places we've been to that are family friendly, depending on what you like.

The Atlantis Resort in Nassau, Bahamas is pretty family friendly, based on our experience there 20+ years ago.

Playa Del Carmen is the newer area near and just south of Cancun. There is a lot to do in the area, including snorkeling at Xel-Ha, the Tulum Mayan ruins, and a well-run "swim with the dolphins" attraction. Chichen Itza, the more famous ruins, is doable, but about 2.5 hours away

If there is a travel ban outside the US:

Depending on where you go on the islands and the state of rebuilding, Puerto Rico and its "Spanish Virgins" out-islands of Vieques and Culebra are very nice. The northeast side of Puerto Rico(the Fajardo area) has the classic Caribbean water. Vieques and Culebra are very undeveloped and non-touristy. We love Vieques.
The El Conquistador Resort in Fajardo. It has its own private island(Palomino Island). From here you can also take the day ferries to Culebra(Flamenco Beach) and Vieques.
Very cool place:
https://www.elconresort.com

The American Virgins may be also be a nice option, but I have never been there.

Now, having said all that, I have one word for you.... MAUI!!!!

Go to Maui!! You won't regret it and the extra travel time is more than worth it.

Posts: 8603 | Registered: September 26, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
Well you know..., with a 12 year old daughter, you should put a heavy black line through Phuket, Thailand if the US Navy is in port.

If they're not in port, and you and your ladies like tailor made clothes... just saying. Big Grin

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

Only in an insane world are the sane considered insane.

The memories of a man in his old age
Are the deeds of a man in his prime

Posts: 14020 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Pyker
posted Hide Post
Captiva or Sanibel are good choices if you don't want to fly overseas.

Posts: 2763 | Location: Lake Country, Minnesota | Registered: September 06, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
Punta Cana, D.R. is pretty nice. I was at/in a putting-green-adjacent private home on some golf course whose name I don't recall (I don't Golf, was just a nice house by the coast to me). And Santo Domingo is an interesting city, largest by population in the Caribbean, I think, around one million people, old stone work, cigars being rolled, loads of humidity outside, all that.

Saw large Tarantulas on the golf course and our patio, and once got shaken down by local popo in Santo Domingo in one of the VW Beetle police cars for what equated to about $4US in loose coins during a "traffic stop", but otherwise was hassle free and nice and fun.

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
That said, here is where I want to go next in the Caribbean:

https://www.jademountain.com/

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of TigerDore
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 46and2:
Punta Cana, D.R....

I agree Punta Cana is picturesque and Santo Domingo has cool historic spots. I had a factory down there for a number of years and I took my family there, but they've had some issues recently. I am not sure I would recommend going there now.

I'm not trying to start an argument, just a heads-up for the OP.

Picture of TigerDore
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 46and2:
That said, here is where I want to go next in the Caribbean:

https://www.jademountain.com/

Pretty amazing. I want to go too, now. Smile

Ignored facts
still exist
posted Hide Post
I suppose Maui doesn't qualify. But Maui is very nice.

----------------------
Let's Go Brandon!

Posts: 10861 | Location: 45 miles from the Pacific Ocean | Registered: February 28, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by radioman:
I suppose Maui doesn't qualify. But Maui is very nice.

Why not? It is an island and better yet - US soil.

Posts: 192 | Location: chicagoland | Registered: March 22, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Festina Lente
Picture of feersum dreadnaught
posted Hide Post
Cayman’s Seven Mile Beach is great. Cayman is currently closed to non-residents.

If it opens up, go for it. http://www.plantationvillage.com/ is where I’ve stayed for 20 years. And now have a time share...

I also have a 12-year daughter. Her favorite is riding wave runners. But walk out snorkeling is getting close. Along with paddle boards, kayaking in the mangroves, and the turtle farm. Day trip out to “stingray city” and feeding stingrays at a sand bar is very memorable.

Last time down, my daughter and wife went on a horseback ride that included swimming them off the beach...

Very comfortable island - no concerns anywhere.

NRA Life Member - "Fear God and Dreadnaught"

Posts: 8295 | Location: in the red zone of the blue state, CT | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post