SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    wood and weather seal
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

wood and weather seal Login/Join 
posted
I built a couple of " one board" pine bird houses.
and I purchased some sealer , in hopes of preserving them for an extra few years.
My question is:
which would soak up more sealer?

O an un sanded board
O a finely sanded board
O a rough sanded board

I plan on about three coats

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54597 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I can't speak to the science behind it, but every sealing project I have ever done has called for a final sanding at 220 grit (fine) before putting on the sealer, and then another light sanding at 220 grit between coats.

Posts: 1168 | Registered: July 06, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Use a deck conditioner on them. Basically an oxalic acid which will open the pores as to accept a sealer. A gal will cost about $10 and usually a 1:1 with water dilution

Even with coarse sandpaper it can still fill the pores

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Live today as if it may be your last and learn today as if you will live forever

Posts: 6223 | Location: New Orleans...outside the levees, fishing in the Rigolets | Registered: October 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post