SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Best BB gun / air gun for 5 year old son? With questions.
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Best BB gun / air gun for 5 year old son? With questions. Login/Join 
Picture of myrottiety
posted
I know I want the CZ 455 Scout when I step him up to 22LR. But he's agreed to try a "BB Gun" if I got him one. I may surprise him at Christmas with one.

So I got questions:
- I've got a 22LR can. Are there any pellet or BB guns that take a suppressor? (1/2x28 thread pitch) I'll be shooting in back yard likely some. So i'd be nice to make it even more quiet.

- Any suggestions on something that has a short length of pull and is fairly light?

- Pellet rifle or "BB Gun"? I have zero experience with air rifles since I was a kid. Which should I look for?

- Old school pump to charge it? Or is there any that run with CO2 cartridges? I remember my old air gun as a kid was fairly hard to pump using the hand-guard.

Train how you intend to Fight

Remember - Training is not sparring. Sparring is not fighting. Fighting is not combat.

Posts: 8851 | Location: Woodstock, GA | Registered: August 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Knows too little
about too much
Picture of rduckwor
posted Hide Post
He's 5 years old. Buy him a Daisey Red Rider. If you want something different, buy yourself a toy.

RMD

TL Davis: “The Second Amendment is special, not because it protects guns, but because its violation signals a government with the intention to oppress its people…”
Remember: After the first one, the rest are free.

Posts: 20321 | Location: L.A. - Lower Alabama | Registered: April 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shit don't
mean shit
posted Hide Post
I asked a similar question at this time of year last year. Based on recommendations here I bought my 2 boys (6 & 7) Benjamin 392 rifles in .22 pellet. However, they are not strong enough to pump them themselves. We shot them with a neighbor who has boys that are 8 & 10, and the 10 year old even struggled. It's fine because that means I have to be around when they shoot them. I am happy with my purchase.

https://www.crosman.com/airgun...airguns/benjamin-392

Posts: 5760 | Location: 7400 feet in Conifer CO | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
non ducor, duco
Picture of Nickelsig229
posted Hide Post
There is a lot to know about airguns now. You can easily turn a "toy" for your son into your backyard shooting hobby.

Pump guns and co2 are typically where we all started, and they are fun but mostly just toys.

Spring and gas are a step up in cost but also in power and accuracy, as well as weird recoil that is not beneficial in learning to shoot as center fire rifles don't have two way recoil like a spring loaded rifle does. It is not a Training device for real rifles.

That brings us to PCP air guns which require some more accessories, like a pump or tank and some fittings for connectivity. These offer unequaled accuracy even out to 125 yards, more power then a 22lr and the cheapest models offer 30 or so shots on one filling, some up to 150. A full scba tank depending on size can get you 10-30-50-70 fillings. I get 35 fillings of 60 (2100) accurate shots on one of my rifles for 10 dollars worth of air.

I entered with a 500 dollar benjamin marauder but there are cheaper entry level rifles now, in the 200 dollar range.

As for the silencer. In airgun circles, they are called moderators. That disassociates the sound dampeners from the negative stigma of a "silencer" and also keeps the confusion of tax stamps and NFA laws away from the airguns.

Most airguns come with a moderator or barrel shroud to address sound as people want to shoot them in their back yard. Usually what draws attention isn't even the gun shot, but the impact of the pellet against a target. So many people devise rubber mulch or carpeted target backings to dampen the impact sound.

Here's a quick vid on some pcp.

First In Last Out

Posts: 4789 | Location: CT | Registered: October 15, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Kids grow up fast, I was still on a slingshot @ 5. Moved up to a Daisy Cub around 7, collected by enough pop bottles to get that Red Ryder. Around 10, got the Daisy model 25 pump. Loved that peep sight!

Keep his eyes safe! Good luck, happy shooting to you both!

Posts: 5768 | Location: west 'by god' virginia | Registered: May 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Daisy Match Grade Avanti Champion 499

This message has been edited. Last edited by: springnr,

Posts: 426 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
The Daisy Red Ryder we have is hard to cock for a 5 year old. Now that my son is 8, he can do it, but still struggles. The lever is plastic.

Posts: 10938 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
A five year old “agreed” to try a BB gun? That sounds like a different arrangement than I grew up with. Guess the times have changed. Wink

I got my first BB gun at around 8 or 9, after I earned enough money doing lawn work to buy it, and got permission from my dad to buy one. It was a Crosman that used steel BB shot, I still have it and it still works (52 years later). I also have the Benjamin pump .22 lead BB shot airgun featuring “Bolt Action, Hair Trigger, Hammer Fire” that I bought the following summer, under similar circumstances. Both of them are well worn but still completely functional. I remember Dad taking me to Gart Brothers sporting goods in Denver to purchase both of those.

A Daisy “Buck” BB gun ought to be about the right size for the typical five year old.

https://www.airgundepot.com/daisy-model-105-buck.html

Posts: 26904 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I’d get him an air soft gun. It’s safer and will be easier to use for him, then in a year or two get the red rider

Posts: 3371 | Registered: December 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too soon old,
Too late smart
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by limblessbiff:
I’d get him an air soft gun. It’s safer and will be easier to use for him, then in a year or two get the red rider

Yes. Even if he doesn't agree.

NRA Life Member
Member Isaac Walton League

I wouldn't let anyone do to me what I've done to myself

Posts: 1489 | Location: NoVa | Registered: March 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post