SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Helicopter and hovercraft ride
Page 1 2 

Moderators: Chris Orndorff, LDD

Closed Topic Closed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
Helicopter and hovercraft ride Login/Join 
Picture of konata88
posted
Watching tv. I'm old but it occurs to me that I've never taken a ride on a helicopter or hovercraft. A little unique but not uncommon things.

Things to do next year (mini bucket).

Helicopter ride
Hovercraft ride
Aurora Borealis viewing

Just need to decide where and when.

"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." - B.Franklin
"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy

Posts: 6767 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Report This Post
posted Hide Post
Helicopters are a lot of fun. I went up in a Bell Jet ranger years ago as a kid with an ex-vietnam pilot and he put it through his paces. I hear in the Grand Canyon and in Hawaii they are amazing.

I own a Yacht Management business in the yachting capital of the world and have never even been on a hovercraft......LOL......Once a year or two I see one personal one running somewhere, but very very rare, never had the opportunity to ride on one......

Now Serving 7.62
Picture of 10X-Shooter
posted Hide Post
I've been lucky to have had so many rides aboard Hueys, Chinooks, and Blackhawks while in the service but never a hovercraft. Not sure where you're located but Huey's rides are usually found at the Knob Creek Machinegun Shoot.

Finally edited to spell Hueys correctly. I need to pay more attention to my auto correct.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: 10X-Shooter,

Posts: 4637 | Location: Southeast Tennessee | Registered: February 12, 2003Report This Post
Picture of dgwiggans
posted Hide Post
Father worked for Bell. First ride was in a model 47G. I'll never forget the view from the bubble canopy (M*A*S*H style). Go for it. It's a great experience.

-------------------

On the DL
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
November 1977, hovercraft ferry across the channel, returning to France from England. We had taken the traditional steamer on the westbound trip, hovercraft for the return.

The hovercraft was really fast, but a very uncomfortable ride.

A mind is a terrible thing.

Posts: 16379 | Location: Central Florida (near Orlando) | Registered: January 03, 2010Report This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
November 1977, hovercraft ferry across the channel, returning to France from England. We had taken the traditional steamer on the westbound trip, hovercraft for the return.

The hovercraft was really fast, but a very uncomfortable ride.

I did both directions in 1982 - unfortunately, hovercraft are still subject to the wave action - it was a very bumpy day. Dover to Boulogne - returned later in the day. We passed one of the traditional ferries on the way over one way.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hoverspeed

One of the craft that day was similar to the Mark III shown on that page.

Posts: 1962 | Location: Northern California | Registered: December 01, 2006Report This Post
posted Hide Post
I did a doors off helicopter ride in Kauai, it was awesome, great for photography.

My neighbor keeps saying he's going to take me to the Apache simulator on base but we haven't had a chance yet.

Picture of ShouldBFishin
posted Hide Post
My first helicopter ride was in the late 80's in the ND National Guard - I sat in the "hell hole" on the side of a Huey (I think) held in by what seemed to be a very small canvas strap. As we were flying over Camp Ripley in MN I vividly recall thinking "Wow - those tree tops seem pretty close!" It was a hoot!

The last time I was in one was several years ago. My daughter, who was probably 5 or 6 at the time, and I chartered a trip over Mt Rushmore. The Vietnam era pilot and I got a good chuckle as we flew behind the faces when my daughter suddenly exclaimed "Hey! There's no butts on this side! That grandpa!" (apparently my dad had been telling her something to that effect a few days earlier...) Big Grin

Posts: 1068 | Location: MN | Registered: March 29, 2009Report This Post
posted Hide Post
In September of this year, I was lucky enough to see a magnificent Aurora Borealis display in Michigan's upper peninsula, near Hancock, MI. Very beautiful.

In the 1980's, I got a ride on a Bell Jet Ranger copter at an air show near DC. In the mid to late 1960's my dad took me an a ride in a Bell 47-G (think opening sequence of the MASH TV show) at the DelMarVA Chicken Festival in Salisbury, MD. Way cool for an approximately 10 year old!

Late 1950's or early 60's, my dad piloted a one man, flying saucer shaped hovercraft during a demonstration at a boat show at the airport in Easton, MD. I was all of about 5 to 6 years old but remember it like it was yesterday. I got several rides on my dad's lap. Wish I could find photos of the event, but calls to the historical society and boat show organizer has turned up nothing.

Posts: 1159 | Location: Fairfax, VA | Registered: February 27, 2006Report This Post
Picture of jbcummings
posted Hide Post
As long as it's not a CareFlight ride, I'm in!

Posts: 3532 | Location: N. Texas | Registered: May 21, 2012Report This Post
Picture of Miataguy
posted Hide Post
I did the helicopter ride, definitely a blast!

Posts: 137 | Location: Long Beach, CA. | Registered: January 09, 2011Report This Post
Mired in the
Fog of Lucidity
posted Hide Post
I've managed to do both of your first two items. I'm not sure how, as my life isn't particularly exciting. Both were many years ago....perhaps that's why...

Posts: 3597 | Registered: February 10, 2007Report This Post
Move Up or
Move Over
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by konata88:
Watching tv. I'm old but it occurs to me that I've never taken a ride on a helicopter or hovercraft. A little unique but not uncommon things.

Things to do next year (mini bucket).

Helicopter ride
Hovercraft ride
Aurora Borealis viewing

Just need to decide where and when.

Join the Marines and I'm sure they can help with at least 2 of those.

Seriously though. Surely there is a place where you can take a helicopter to the edge of the water where you can hop on a hovercraft to ride out into the ocean to view the lights...

Mark

Posts: 4014 | Location: middle Tennessee | Registered: October 28, 2008Report This Post
Just for the
hell of it
Picture of comet24
posted Hide Post
Helicopter check

Hovercraft nope

Aurora Borealis kinda. Saw it briefly from a plane. My trip to Iceland included seeing and photographing them but overcast skies the entire trip said otherwise.

Because in the end, you won’t remember the time you spent working in the office or mowing your lawn. Climb that goddamn mountain. Jack Kerouac

Mired in the
Fog of Lucidity
posted Hide Post
Here's an emerging opportunity to ride a new kind of hovercraft ride...

https://www.bloomberg.com/news...ine-to-san-francisco

Posts: 3597 | Registered: February 10, 2007Report This Post
Too clever by half
Picture of jigray3
posted Hide Post
I rode along in the local traffic copter. I enjoyed it, but there was lots of hovering and circling.

I've only ever seen a couple of hovercraft. One was a Navy LCAC in the Chesapeake Bay quite a ways from home.

Maybe Bubba Watson will give you a ride in his golf cart hovercraft. $30-40K each, not bad compared to a helicopter.

Never try to teach a pig to sing. It's a waste of your time, and it annoys the pig.

Posts: 9559 | Location: Richmond, VA | Registered: December 11, 2007Report This Post
posted Hide Post
I recommend this helicopter tour in conjunction with a stay on the strip:

http://www.maverickhelicopter....our-wind-dancer.aspx

Posts: 137 | Registered: December 27, 2010Report This Post
Picture of cparktd
posted Hide Post
quote:
I hear in the Grand Canyon and in Hawaii they are amazing.

When visited the Grand Canyon a few years ago we were told the flights had been stoped in and directly adjacent to the canyon. You could go very close in the surrounding area.

TD

Deplorable before deplorable was cool!

Posts: 1390 | Location: Middle Tennessee | Registered: February 07, 2013Report This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cparktd:
quote:
I hear in the Grand Canyon and in Hawaii they are amazing.

When visited the Grand Canyon a few years ago we were told the flights had been stoped in and directly adjacent to the canyon. You could go very close in the surrounding area.
I have flown countless times on oil & gas helicopters in the Gulf of Mexico and Alaska. In the GoM, it had gotten so mundane that I would be asleep shortly after take off.

In 2013, I rode a helicopter with Blue Hawaiian in Kuaui. It was a night and day experience. First, the helicopter was quieter and the air conditioning worked so much better that it was enjoyable. You can hardly see any of Kuaui by road so the helicopter was worth the money. I saw sights like the Jurassic Park waterfall and the beach from 6 days 7 nights that I never would have seen.

I'd like to ride a hovercraft, and I'd like to hog hunt out of a chopper.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 14821 | Location: N. Houston, TX | Registered: November 14, 2005Report This Post
The One, the Only Mighty Paragon
Picture of Paragon
posted Hide Post
I want to go up in a bell jet Ranger! That's what AirWolf was.

I have been up in the mash style one. With an AR in my hands. An AR that ejected from the bottom. As I fired down into the pocket berm. I actually hit one of the targets, too.

NRA Basic Pistol Instructor
NRA Range Safety Officer

Posts: 12062 | Location: Central FL | Registered: April 30, 2005Report This Post