SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    No Jobs for Teenagers?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

No Jobs for Teenagers? Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
Big ones here are fast food, hostesses, movie theaters (though I think they may be the owners' kids) and bagging groceries. Local dairy farmers hire under 18 as well.
My first job was an iron foundry when I was 18, as I don't really count mowing lawns as I only did 2 regularly. Made less on the hour than some of the above posts.

A Perpetual Disappointment...

Posts: 2739 | Location: BFE, Ohio | Registered: August 05, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I offered to pay $15.00 per hour to a dozen people , here in tiny town , I need to move from an upstairs apt , to the lower level.

no takers , the kids here are too very well off to work that hard .

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54638 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Yokel
Picture of ontmark
posted Hide Post
Our son when he was 16 applied at a pizza take out place that only made take and bake Pizzas. He was told he was not qualified.

Our oldest Daughter when she was 16 got a job as a box girl at a Riley’s Market.

Beware the man who only has one gun. He probably knows how to use it! - John Steinbeck

Posts: 3878 | Location: Vallejo, CA | Registered: August 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Yokel
Picture of ontmark
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bendable:
I offered to pay $15.00 per hour to a dozen people , here in tiny town , I need to move from an upstairs apt , to the lower level.

no takers , the kids here are too very well off to work that hard .

Check with a local U-Haul rental place. They will hook you up with laborers thru Manpower.

Beware the man who only has one gun. He probably knows how to use it! - John Steinbeck

Posts: 3878 | Location: Vallejo, CA | Registered: August 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Kinda weird. I wonder what state the OP is in. I see tons of 16 on up kids working.

Posts: 3920 | Registered: January 25, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
The major reason is the constant raising of the minimum wage.
Terrible sad too, it is killing of the introduction of young workers to the workforce.

Posts: 22907 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
My first job was a grocery packer at a Big Bear Supermarket in Detroit, Michigan. I don't remember how old I was, but I was paid 50 cents an hour plus tips (a quarter a bag was HUGE). I graduated from that to a job at a Chinese Carry-out Kitchen taking and packaging phone orders--I think that paid $1.00/hr plus supper. Both jobs were as a high school student.

Both jobs were considered as "food handlers", too and I had to qualify for a city "Food Handler's Card"--required a passing grade from a doctor's physical exam and an 8-hour class on sanitation practices (just to pack groceries!).

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
our oldest works for Home Depot. He got the job at 16- quite a few places don't want you unless you're 18, but Home Depot is not one of them. The pay is outstanding compared to his peers, and the benefits are outstanding. They include tuition reimbursement, stocks and 401k.

There is something good and motherly about Washington, the grand old benevolent National Asylum for the helpless.
- Mark Twain The Gilded Age

#CNNblackmail #CNNmemewar

Posts: 706 | Location: Seacoast in USA | Registered: September 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post
I applied at McDonald's when I was about 5 or 6 months short of being 16. The manager told me to come back the day I turned 16 and he would hire me...I did and he did. Daaayum! Just did the math and realized I've been in the work force for 71.92% of my life. No wonder I'm beat..... Frown

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 11066 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mikeyspizza
posted Hide Post
From Home Depot's careers website:

A variety of positions are open for candidates between the ages of 16–18 in the following states: AK, AZ, AR, CO, FL, ID, IL, IA, KS, KY, ME, MN, MS, MO, MT, NE, NV, NH, NM, ND, OK, RI, SC, SD, TN, TX, UT, VT, VA and WY.

Candidates who are 16 and 17 years of age can apply for the following positions:

Store Support / Lot Associate
Customer Service / Sales Associate (Garden)
Cashier

Link

Posts: 4010 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: August 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
186,000 miles per second.
It's the law.

posted Hide Post
My niece recently got a part time job at Nordstrom at age 17. My friend's daughter got a job at the local grocery store bagging groceries at age 16.

The bigger problem I see is that most teenagers don't want to get a part time job these days. When I was that age, we all had part time/summer jobs. I mowed lawns, shoveled driveways, had a large paper route, painted houses, bagged groceries, worked in the grocery produce dept, cashiered, and bussed tables. All between ages 13 and 18. I worked my way though university (waiter) and graduated with zero debt. Not a dime from my parents. My sister waited tables and managed an apartment building while at college (to get her rent covered), and became an internal medicine doctor with no parental support, as well. She did have some student debt, but paid it off in about 5 years.

Posts: 3251 | Registered: August 19, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The guy behind the guy
Picture of esdunbar
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Black92LX:
Got any Country Clubs near by??
That was my first job at 14.

Same. I was a caddy a couple summers and really liked it.

Posts: 7548 | Registered: April 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
I got my first job at age 10.
Yeah, that's right 10.
OK, maybe it was 11 .... it was a long time ago. Frown
I got a bundle of "Grit Magazine" (actually a paper) sent to me and I stood outside of the local grocery stores and sold them for ten cents a piece.
That allowed me to "age" and eventually get a real paper route.
Loved the experience.
Never take anything for granted.

Posts: 22907 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post