SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    No Jobs for Teenagers?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

No Jobs for Teenagers? Login/Join 
Picture of jcsabolt2
posted
My daughter turned 16 a few weeks ago and started looking for a part time job. However, NO one is hiring anyone over 18 years of age unless you want to flip burgers. No sporting good stores, no fabric suppliers, most restaurants, any type of farming...no, no, and no! My own dad can't even hire her to work on the farm without taking a risk of getting hit up by the feds. When did this crap start? I started opening an 8 ton tractor at the age of 10. So our government now punishes teenagers that have the initiative to get a job and work. Brilliant!

----------
“Nobody can ever take your integrity away from you. Only you can give up your integrity.” H. Norman Schwarzkopf

Posts: 3627 | Registered: July 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
Flipping burgers is about like the first two real jobs I had bagging groceries, back in the 1970s. I took what I could get until I could find something better, being a lifeguard.

Posts: 26904 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
safe & sound
Picture of a1abdj
posted Hide Post
Insurance companies likely more so than the feds. In the restaurant business you have to be 18 to be in the kitchen or serve alcohol. 21 to pour alcohol. Bussers and Hostesses can be 16.

What part of town is she looking to work in?

www.zykansafe.com

Posts: 15716 | Location: St. Charles, MO, USA | Registered: September 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I kneel for my God,
and I stand for my flag
posted Hide Post
My 17 year old is bussing tables at a local Italian joint, plus nannying for the owners a couple of nights a week. Bussing pays $10.25 plus 2% of tips. Nanny gig is $15.00 an hour for two kids ages six and nine.

Most of her friends are working at grocery stores, as bussers/dishwashers, or baristas.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: SIG228,

Posts: 1812 | Location: Oregon | Registered: September 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
Got any Country Clubs near by??
That was my first job at 14.

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25421 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bookers Bourbon
and a good cigar
Picture of Johnny 3eagles
posted Hide Post
Both of my 16 year old grandkids have part time jobs. Boy makes. $11 per hour, girl mzkes $10.

BIDEN SUCKS.

If you're goin' through hell, keep on going.
Don't slow down. If you're scared don't show it.
You might get out before the devil even knows you're there.

NRA ENDOWMENT LIFE MEMBER

Posts: 7120 | Location: Arkansas  | Registered: November 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
At least one grocery chain in our area hires kids starting at 14.

Posts: 2366 | Registered: October 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A teetotaling
beer aficionado
Picture of NavyGuy
posted Hide Post
At 16 with presumably zero job experience, yeah don't expect much. Take what you can get and show a willingness to work when ever the employer needs you. Our oldest started at Baskin Robins making minimum wage and worked her way up to cake decorator in about 8 months and did pretty well income wise. Not exactly a career path but for a HS kid I was proud of her.

Men fight for liberty and win it with hard knocks. Their children, brought up easy, let it slip away again, poor fools. And their grandchildren are once more slaves.

-D.H. Lawrence

Posts: 11524 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: February 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Started out mowing yards, raking leaves and pine straw, when I got 16 I became a lifeguard (making $.75 per hour) taught swimming, kept the pool in balance with chlorine gas and soda ash (chlorine gas if inhaled turns to hydrochloric acid in your lungs-not good) so I kept doing yard work since I had 20 or so yards that I mowed regularly and made way more money than my prestige job as a lifeguard/water safety instructor. Next I worked on shrimp boats in the summer and as a delivery boy/ general flunky at a drug store in the winter which led to me becoming a pharmacist.

Posts: 1833 | Location: central Alabama | Registered: July 31, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fortified with Sleestak
Picture of thunderson
posted Hide Post
I don't know what state you're in but some states have very specific limitations on those working under the age of 18. My son has started talking about getting a job(good for him) but IIRC under 18 and you're limited on how late you can work etc. I would imagine that most employers don't wan't the added hassle and simply only hire at 18 and up.

I have the heart of a lion.......and a lifetime ban from the Toronto Zoo.- Unknown

Posts: 5371 | Location: Shenandoah Valley, VA | Registered: November 05, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Big Stack
posted Hide Post
Does her HS offer some sort of placement for part time jobs? It was a lot of years ago, but mine did.

Posts: 21240 | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Many kids from the hs where I work flip burgers or work in a local grocery store or restaurant.

If she wants to work, nothing wrong with flipping burgers in high school. That is where countless people(this poster included) got their start.

Posts: 722 | Location: Maine | Registered: October 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've been trying to hire one for yard work for the last couple of years with no luck. I pay $10/hr and supply everything. I just need labor. Had one taker but he was between college graduation and going to Air Force flight training. He flies planes this year. He drove a paint brush for me last year.

GW.

Posts: 642 | Location: Auburn, AL | Registered: August 24, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
When you fall, I will be there to catch you -With love, the floor
posted Hide Post
Odd timing as we stopped in a local restaurant after leaving the gun club. the one waitress/manager was saying they can't find any decent help for either of their restaurants. up north they have to hire teenagers from out of the country here for a while because the residents are brain dead.

This might help.

https://www.snagajob.com/resources/legal-age-to-work/

What about local theaters or supermarkets? I see kids around 16 working at those types of places.

Richard Scalzo
Epping, NH

http://www.bigeastakitarescue.net

Posts: 5803 | Location: Epping, NH | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Saluki
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bryan11:
At least one grocery chain in our area hires kids starting at 14.
As does our local McDonalds. Read the sandwich board last night. They are very limited to the number of hours and area they can work.

----------The weather is here I wish you were beautiful----------

Posts: 5150 | Location: southern Mn | Registered: February 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Striker in waiting
Picture of BurtonRW
posted Hide Post
Is there no Chick-Fil-A near you? It’s the best first job a young, impressionable mind could have.

-Rob

I predict that there will be many suggestions and statements about the law made here, and some of them will be spectacularly wrong. - jhe888

A=A

Posts: 16270 | Location: Maryland, AA Co. | Registered: March 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BurtonRW:
Is there no Chick-Fil-A near you? It’s the best first job a young, impressionable mind could have.

-Rob

Yes, they advertise hiring 14 and 15 year olds.

Also Whataburger hires youngsters.

"Some people are alive today because it's against the law to kill them".

Posts: 8228 | Location: Arizona | Registered: August 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eye on the
Silver Lining
posted Hide Post
Check at the local zoo, aquarium, vet clinic, or boarding kennel. It’ll probably be kennel cleaning or something similar, but it’s a start.

Check a local private optometry clinic, chiropractor, or dentist - she could do office work or filing, or checking people in or out (at the optometry clinic she might get the added benefit of working retail and styling frames on people before turning them over to the optician)..
How bout the local Y? Lots of daycare opportunities, lifeguard, leading kids programs, assisting, etc.
Lots of places would hire a motivated kid, but everyone has to start somewhere to prove their reliability and responsibility.
Good luck to her. I started at 14 cleaning yards and vacuuming houses. Worked at a parts store at 16 years, and things just took off from there.

"Trust, but verify."

Posts: 5319 | Registered: October 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Babysit / pet-sit.

My kids have all had good luck with this. It's all straight cash and usually pays well especially if there are multiple children involved.

Once she develops a network of customers she could easily make a couple hundred per month. No interaction with the public required. No coming home smelling like a grease-ball.

I have seen them come home with $100+. Also - when they get a bit older like 17-18 - the families may trust them to do overnight watching - then you are really talking nice $$.

Proverbs 27:17 - As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another.

Posts: 8940 | Location: Florida | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Best Buy and Staples hire associates at 16. I am sure this is the case with many retail establishments.

Posts: 4979 | Registered: April 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post