SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Garbage Disposal - Today's Suggestions Please
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Garbage Disposal - Today's Suggestions Please Login/Join 
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
Proof of Waste Kang's superior quality: Look around. Do you see any baby yaks walking around?

No? Didn't think so.

Fair point, I haven't seen a single one, let alone a baby one. Guess that is what I'll put in my kitchen when I get a sink installed, if ever.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20757 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Never has an issue with Insinkerator, I will pass wasteking

Posts: 192 | Location: chicagoland | Registered: March 22, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Waste King and in sinkerator are pretty much the market choice.

One thing to note. The WasteKing is typically bigger. If you have under sink space issues go insinkerator.

Posts: 1038 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: August 16, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Paddle your
own canoe
Picture of BigWhup
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by AZSigs:
Nothing seems to be down in the cutting area but sounds like metal on metal as if a metal washer was being tossed around.

Sounds like my son's, he swore nothing was in there. Flashlight and tongs later, out comes a mangled beer bottle cap.

Posts: 1552 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: August 06, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Insinkerator with the cover that you have to lock in place to turn on the unit. Have it in my home for 10 years and at my parents for even longer.

Posts: 186 | Registered: April 23, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by stuffgeek:
Never has an issue with Insinkerator, I will pass wasteking

Pussy.

Wife and I have a working list for our retirement home, circa 2029. Waste Kang was about number 3 on the list. Right behind "doors" and "toilets". She barely knows what a Sigforum is. You should reconsider. Never seen such a non-native non-sponsored support for a product in 25 years on the 'net. Trust the people, trust the recommendation.

eta
YAK!

eta2
Just realized sttuffgeek has been with us a decade with 21 posts. Respect and all that. Come on in!

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12350 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Another vote for Waste King

Posts: 1950 | Location: Indiana or Florida depending on season  | Registered: March 18, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Happily Retired
Picture of Bassamatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pessimist:
If you decide on the Waste King (I recommend you do), DO NOT get the model with the EZ mount unless you want to re-tighten the collar every 3 or 4 uses. Make sure you buy the version with the 3-bolt mounting system.

Funny you said that. I did go with the EZ mount and I did have to re-tighten it several times after I installed it but I haven't touched it in over two years now. It needs a little time to settle in I guess.

.....never marry a woman who is mean to your waitress.

Posts: 5024 | Location: Lake of the Ozarks, MO. | Registered: September 05, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blume9mm
posted Hide Post
I'll be the odd man out...

Why do you, the OP, or any of you actually need a garbage disposal... the house we moved into, ours went out about 37 years ago... removed and did not replace and have never missed it....

My Native American Name:
"Runs with Scissors"

Posts: 4441 | Location: Greenville, SC | Registered: January 30, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Only dead fish
go with the flow
Picture of pessimist
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bassamatic:
quote:
Originally posted by pessimist:
If you decide on the Waste King (I recommend you do), DO NOT get the model with the EZ mount unless you want to re-tighten the collar every 3 or 4 uses. Make sure you buy the version with the 3-bolt mounting system.

Funny you said that. I did go with the EZ mount and I did have to re-tighten it several times after I installed it but I haven't touched it in over two years now. It needs a little time to settle in I guess.

Mine never took hold. At one point, I put plumbing tape over the threads to tighten the fit and try and stop it from backing off. No dice. Finally, I called WK and complained. They sent me a kit to convert it to the 3-bolt mount.

The EZ mount is a marketing ploy for homeowners and I'm surprised they get away with still selling it. The 3-bolt mount is literally just that; 3 bolts that you tighten with a flathead screwdriver vs hand tightening a plastic collar.

Posts: 1517 | Registered: March 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Go with the Insinkerator.

I bought a 1hp waste king it was junk.

Amazon was getting a ton of those returned.

It leaked on installation, the "chrome" case was plastic.

I went with an Insinkerator Evo.

I can barely hear it running.

Posts: 4743 | Registered: February 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
When we redid our countertops we initially went with American Standard (3/4 hp?). We were both so surprised by its [lack] of quality hardware and manufacturer flaws, I figured it was a one-off until the second unit had the same issues. (Never did install it, just the initial inspection.)

Ended up with a Waste Kang 1 hp from Amazon for less $$ than the AS unit. The biggest plus on the WK unit - nearly zero perceptible noise compare to the house's OEM unit, late 70s era unit.

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

Only in an insane world are the sane considered insane.

The memories of a man in his old age
Are the deeds of a man in his prime

Posts: 14020 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sig2392:

I bought a 1hp waste king it was junk.

Amazon was getting a ton of those returned.

Gather the Pitchforks.... Blasphemy...….

Can someone with a fresh copy of the waiver find the section of appropriate punishment for heresy.

Andrew

Duty is the sublimest word in the English Language - Gen Robert E Lee.

Posts: 861 | Registered: May 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just Hanging Around
posted Hide Post
I tried a Waste King. In a little less than a year, it started leaking. They replaced it under warranty, no problem. In a little over a year, the 2nd one started leaking. Went back to InSinkerator almost 2 years ago, no problem so far.

Posts: 3220 | Location: NE Kansas | Registered: February 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by AZSigs:
I have looked over past threads on the Sigforum about garbage disposals. It seemed Waste King was the resounding choice of the threads. Is this still the top brand?(Which model if so?) Mine is a Badger 3/4 hp and seems to chop fine but it is making a lot of noise. Nothing seems to be down in the cutting area but sounds like metal on metal as if a metal washer was being tossed around.

I've looked over Google and saw the InSinkErator 1hp Evolution Excel (yeah I know bigger) has soundseal technology (whatever that is) and a good rating. It's an install job I am more than happy to conquer again but I want better than 3 years out of the unit. What say you? What are the ones to look for or stay away from today? Thanks.

My mother told me her unit stopped working. Me thinking the unit probably kicked the bucket after 10 years bought a new one to install. After I took the old unit off, I turned it over and gave it a grinder a spin with the wrench. Low and behold mangled paper clips fall out. How they got in there, I don't even want to know. But after get the paper clips out and pressing the reset switch, good as new. For 1/2 hour tinkering saved myself 200 bucks.

It might be worth it to unmount the unit and turn it upside down. Its amazing what can get in there and not be seen.

Posts: 1038 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: August 16, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Step by step walk the thousand mile road
Picture of Sig2340
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LS1 GTO:
Ended up with a Waste Kang 1 hp ....

You're the guy then!

The Naval Observatory notes there have been numerous small scale reversals in the space-time continuum. The speculation is there was a 1hp WasteKang installed somewhere in California.

Now we know!

You're THAT GUY!!!

Nice is overrated

"It's every freedom-loving individual's duty to lie to the government."
Airsoftguy, June 29, 2018

Posts: 31382 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sig2340:
quote:
Originally posted by LS1 GTO:
Ended up with a Waste Kang 1 hp ....

You're the guy then!

The Naval Observatory notes there have been numerous small scale reversals in the space-time continuum. The speculation is there was a 1hp WasteKang installed somewhere in California.

Now we know!

You're THAT GUY!!!

I like throwing zeros in there.

Universe and Japanese both hate me because of it. Big Grin

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

Only in an insane world are the sane considered insane.

The memories of a man in his old age
Are the deeds of a man in his prime

Posts: 14020 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hoping for better pharmaceuticals
Picture of AZSigs
posted Hide Post
I wanted to thank everyone for their suggestions. I went with the Insink erator Evolution Select Plus. Nine year warranty didn't hurt the decision. The installation wasn't a fun experience. The disposal was a bit bigger than my last and fits pretty snug against my water filtration tank. Really took a bit to get it fitted right and only have a dozen scrapes since there was little room for me to work underneath. But no leaks so I am happy.

Getting shot is no achievement. Hitting your enemy is. NRA Endowment Member . NRA instructor

Posts: 8752 | Location: Peoria, Arizona | Registered: April 02, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post