SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Garbage Disposal - Today's Suggestions Please
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Garbage Disposal - Today's Suggestions Please Login/Join 
Hoping for better pharmaceuticals
Picture of AZSigs
posted
I have looked over past threads on the Sigforum about garbage disposals. It seemed Waste King was the resounding choice of the threads. Is this still the top brand?(Which model if so?) Mine is a Badger 3/4 hp and seems to chop fine but it is making a lot of noise. Nothing seems to be down in the cutting area but sounds like metal on metal as if a metal washer was being tossed around.

I've looked over Google and saw the InSinkErator 1hp Evolution Excel (yeah I know bigger) has soundseal technology (whatever that is) and a good rating. It's an install job I am more than happy to conquer again but I want better than 3 years out of the unit. What say you? What are the ones to look for or stay away from today? Thanks.

Getting shot is no achievement. Hitting your enemy is. NRA Endowment Member . NRA instructor

Posts: 8752 | Location: Peoria, Arizona | Registered: April 02, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Back, and
to the left
Picture of 83v45magna
posted Hide Post
Waste Kang!

Sorry, I wanted to be first.

I returned, and saw under the sun, that the race is not to the swift, nor the battle to the strong, neither yet bread to the wise, nor yet riches to men of understanding, nor yet favour to men of skill; but time and chance happeneth to them all. -Ecclesiastes 9:11

Posts: 7232 | Location: Dallas | Registered: August 04, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
I replaced a badger with an Evo Compact. 15 years no issues. Couldn’t be happier. Ymmv.

ETA: one consideration for me was that Evo was drop-in replacement to the Badger I had. I didn't want to do any hard plumbing work.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: konata88,

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12683 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I went with the WASTE KANG on the longstanding advice of the forum. I like it. It's quiet, it kills stuff, and it was surprisingly fairly priced.

Posts: 5143 | Location: Iowa | Registered: February 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Insinkerator Evolution Select Plus is the go to for this plumber.

"Once abolish the God, and the Government becomes the God." --- G.K. Chesterton

Posts: 3856 | Location: WNY | Registered: April 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
Waste King!!!!!
Waste King 9980 Garbage Disposal with Power Cord, 1 HP https://www.amazon.com/dp/B001..._api_i_bj0EEb98SJJZE

Install was a breeze. Been going strong for about 5 years now.

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25354 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
Important question: Do you anticipate the need to dispose of a baby yak?

If so, you'll want the Waste Kang.

If not, you'll still want the Waste Kang.

Posts: 32429 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
Do you have a magnetic probe you can stick down in the disposal and see if you can fish anything out?
Might save you a backache from getting under the sink.

If you don’t have one, it might be worth taking the disposer out and turning it upside down and shaking it to see what comes out. Could be a coin or something similar.

Posts: 26852 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Waste Kang!!!!

3/4 horse. Just last week I need fresh mulch for the landscaping. Ground up 4 cords of hardwood. Handled that job as well.

Seriously, simple to install, quiet, and just plain works. As it is reasonably priced on Amazon, it is a bargain at twice the price.

Andrew

Duty is the sublimest word in the English Language - Gen Robert E Lee.

Posts: 861 | Registered: May 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Black92LX:
Waste King!!!!!
Waste King 9980 Garbage Disposal with Power Cord, 1 HP https://www.amazon.com/dp/B001..._api_i_bj0EEb98SJJZE

Install was a breeze. Been going strong for about 5 years now.
That is what I installed in Anchorage when my builders grade one died. 3x the hp and much quieter.

Now that I live in Houston my home came with a builders grade one and I already have a 9980 sit5ing on the shelf for when the inevitable occurs.

One thing to note, over the years I’ve noticed better reviews on Sigforum and Amazon for the 3 bolt design (eg the 9980) versus the EZ Mount.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23099 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Happily Retired
Picture of Bassamatic
posted Hide Post
Yeah, I also went with Waste King after years of reading about them on the forum. Mine is a 1/2 hp model and that thing would chew up an anvil... can't imagine what a full 1 hp would do. Eek

.....never marry a woman who is mean to your waitress.

Posts: 5024 | Location: Lake of the Ozarks, MO. | Registered: September 05, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
bigger government
= smaller citizen
Picture of Veeper
posted Hide Post
Full 1HP Waste King here. It ground up the baby yak with no issues, and then pulled in the hoist I was using to load the yak.

Would purchase again.

Seriously though, if you buy anything from Amazon, especially garbage disposals, make sure you open it and look it over. Ours came with the wrong sink plug AND there was nasty grime all over the collar and chamber. Clearly used and then returned to Amazon, or to the vendor that sold it to Amazon.

“The urge to save humanity is almost always only a false-face for the urge to rule it.”—H.L. Mencken

Posts: 9144 | Location: West Michigan | Registered: April 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
ours went out last year. I could not get ahold of a waste king in the time frame i had.

I picked up an insinkerator.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000...A-fiJQiHXp1x.vrnHKNQ

Stupid quiet,
3 levels of blades.

could not be happier.

Posts: 6633 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
Proof of Waste Kang's superior quality: Look around. Do you see any baby yaks walking around?

No? Didn't think so.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30545 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Only dead fish
go with the flow
Picture of pessimist
posted Hide Post
If you decide on the Waste King (I recommend you do), DO NOT get the model with the EZ mount unless you want to re-tighten the collar every 3 or 4 uses. Make sure you buy the version with the 3-bolt mounting system.

Posts: 1517 | Registered: March 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
is circumspective
Picture of vinnybass
posted Hide Post
Love live THE KANG!!!

Baby yaks tremble at the mere mention of his name.

"We're all travelers in this world. From the sweet grass to the packing house. Birth 'til death. We travel between the eternities."

Posts: 5473 | Location: Las Vegas, NV. | Registered: May 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
American Standard- all stainless steel body and guts, 1.25 HP, they're quiet etc. and sold at Costco and usually $79.99 in the store. I put a few in rentals 3 and 4 years ago and they're both going strong, no issues.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I like my Insinkerator. quietest I've ever had.

"The days are stacked against what we think we are." Jim Harrison

Posts: 1116 | Location: Ann Arbor | Registered: September 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nosce te ipsum
Picture of Woodman
posted Hide Post
The InSinkerator would be my choice. ¾ HP pro line is enough. (1HP? What exactly are you grinding ...) The WK I installed had a plastic collar which pissed me off. The InSinkerator has an all-metal attachment collar, and sometimes you can skip replacing the collar / strainer.

Here is a fancy model I've not yet seen, but it says "Whisper quiet" ... just do not forget if it is running.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/In...6655-_-206758755-_-N

Posts: 8759 | Registered: March 24, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cparktd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by muzzleloader:
I like my Insinkerator. quietest I've ever had.

Another vote for Insinkerator. 1 HP

If it ain't woke... don't fix it.

Posts: 4118 | Location: Middle Tennessee | Registered: February 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post