SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Car guys step in.
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Car guys step in. Login/Join 
posted
I recently purchased a 2017 Tacoma and absolutely love the truck.

Tonight, I went out to the garage to grab my flashlight to bring in and charge it. I heard what sounded like a small electric motor running. I determined that it was coming from underneath my truck, near the gas tank. I opened the gas cap and heard the air rush in as if there was a vacuum inside. The noise stopped immediately.

It's below freezing and I got a carwash today. Those are the only things that are different from the rest of the time I've had this truck with no strange noises.

What the heck was that all about?

Thanks in advance!

Posts: 545 | Location: Ohio | Registered: April 13, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
EVAP test. Truck will do it 4 or 5 hours (can't remember) after shut off. It's normal.

Posts: 3718 | Registered: August 13, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Wow thanks. I finally found some info online on a Tundra forum.

I figured I ask here first because we have experts in everything..... and I was right! Thanks, Dusty!

Posts: 545 | Location: Ohio | Registered: April 13, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wandering, but
not lost...I think
Picture of brywards
posted Hide Post
Smile I remember the first time I heard my 07 Tacoma making that noise, and I was concerned for a while. Research revealed the answer, but I was racking my brain!

Posts: 2715 | Location: West Texas | Registered: January 19, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Do you have a key fob that causes the car to prep as you approach ?

P229

Posts: 3809 | Location: Sacramento, CA | Registered: November 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have what's known as the H key. I don't know if it makes the car do anything special when I approach.

Picture of Shaql
posted Hide Post
If you have a "smart key" such as hands-free starting or hands-free access to the car then most likely it has a proximity sensor to the FOB and will prep the car for starting. It's generally only 3 or so feet though.

Hedley Lamarr: Wait, wait, wait. I'm unarmed.
Bart: Alright, we'll settle this like men, with our fists.
Hedley Lamarr: Sorry, I just remembered . . . I am armed.

Posts: 6845 | Location: Atlanta | Registered: April 23, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of Death
and Destruction
Picture of walker77
posted Hide Post
Our Camry does this too.

Posts: 7389 | Location: Raymore, Missouri | Registered: June 24, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Cous2492:

Good to know info.

What do you think about the transmission / throttle response?

I am getting used to mine.

I have 1,700 miles on a SR5 4x4 V6.

-----------------------------

Proverbs 27:17 - As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another.

Posts: 8940 | Location: Florida | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Life's too short to
live by the rules
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sig209:
quote:
Originally posted by Cous2492:

Good to know info.

-----------------------------

My 2017 just hit 13,000 miles. The transmission/throttle response gets better with age. I was rather disappointed with it for the first couple of thousand miles, but it definitely gets better.

Posts: 1694 | Location: Richmond, VA | Registered: August 04, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mikeyspizza
posted Hide Post
"In Toyota’s case, the leak detection pump draws the system into a vacuum after the vehicle has been sitting for five hours, providing the engine has cooled enough. If not, the ECM waits another two hours and tries again. If the engine temperature is still above 95 degrees Fahrenheit, it will wait another two and a half hours before making one more attempt.

If all is ready, the pump draws the system into a vacuum and monitors system pressure to test for leaks and the ability of the components to seal the system. This does not test the purge side of the system for operation, though. That is done with the engine running and a two-step test. The first step is run every key start. The ECM monitors purge flow by watching the system pressure change with the purge valve open. If a problem is detected, the ECM will open the vent valve. If pressure does not drop as expected, it will set a code P0441 for a purge flow restriction." Link

Posts: 4006 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: August 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mikeyspizza:
"In Toyota’s case, the leak detection pump draws the system into a vacuum after the vehicle has been sitting for five hours, providing the engine has cooled enough. If not, the ECM waits another two hours and tries again. If the engine temperature is still above 95 degrees Fahrenheit, it will wait another two and a half hours before making one more attempt.

If all is ready, the pump draws the system into a vacuum and monitors system pressure to test for leaks and the ability of the components to seal the system. This does not test the purge side of the system for operation, though. That is done with the engine running and a two-step test. The first step is run every key start. The ECM monitors purge flow by watching the system pressure change with the purge valve open. If a problem is detected, the ECM will open the vent valve. If pressure does not drop as expected, it will set a code P0441 for a purge flow restriction." Link

Good Lord! Will it help you name your children too?

Posts: 13166 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mikeyspizza:

Damn...what ever happened to points/condenser and cheap spark plugs?

"Some people are alive today because it's against the law to kill them".

Posts: 8228 | Location: Arizona | Registered: August 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post

My 2010 Tacoma and my wife's 2003 Sequoia both do this.

Posts: 10778 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sig209:

Good to know info.

-----------------------------[/QUOTE]

I purchased mine certified/used with 4300 miles on it. I have put about 2k on it and noticed that the throttle response is getting better. When I am in a big hurry and want to drive fast I found the ECT Power button to make it a little more peppy.