SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Poll: Do you highlight books while you read?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Poll: Do you highlight books while you read? Login/Join 
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
This got me to thinking about how I can't remember the last time I read a book. Razz Anyway, I have no need for highlighting anything.

Posts: 27929 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
No, I do not. It seems a little like vandalism to me. It also seems a little 14 year old girl - you might as well write "YES!" in the margin, or a series of hearts.

I have highlighted relevant passages in materials I have brought to court so that I can find them quickly, should I need to bring them to the court's attention.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53121 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My college roommate did this. The entire one thousand pages of Palmer's History of the Modern World was highlighted. EVERY SINGLE LINE. He flunked out after a semester.

Posts: 17225 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Do you highlight books?
Only the audio books.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30647 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
quote:
The entire one thousand pages of Palmer's History of the Modern World was highlighted. EVERY SINGLE LINE.

My problem with reviewing books I've highlighted. Really was ALL that important?

Posts: 18044 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I only highlight things I use for reference material. Bibles and commentaries definitely.

Way back in my college days I always searched out used textbooks that were previously owned by smart girls.

Their highlighting was thorough and neat and I especially liked the ones that made notes in the margins.

Made life much simpler.

Posts: 659 | Registered: June 19, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
Never, but I take excellent notes if need be.

In a work environment, in spreadsheets and PDFs or on printed materials, absolutely.

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Let's be careful
out there
posted Hide Post
used to, but gave it up. It didn't seem to help any, and I hated the annoying bleed-through.

Posts: 7333 | Location: NW OHIO | Registered: May 29, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Happily Retired
Picture of Bassamatic
posted Hide Post
Just sitting down reading a book for the pleasure in it, no never, but, in college I lived by a highlighter.

.....never marry a woman who is mean to your waitress.

Posts: 5035 | Location: Lake of the Ozarks, MO. | Registered: September 05, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
It depends on the book. Some I highlight and others not. It also depends on whether I own it or not (wouldn't deface a borrowed book).

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
Studying, yes. Pleasure reading, no.

Q

Posts: 26352 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
Fully annotated and illustrated. I'll put in mini-novels, engineering drawings, whatever I need...

This message has been edited. Last edited by: kkina,

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16319 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Yew got a spider
on yo head
Picture of DoctorSolo
posted Hide Post
With textbooks and technical references I highlight, write notes and heavily book mark. I really prefer books to ebooks for this reason.

Novels and other pleasure reading I leave alone.

Posts: 5130 | Location: Colorado Springs | Registered: April 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Loved those Texas
one room schools
posted Hide Post
If I own the book, I will sometimes highlight some important passages. I also make notes referring to some passages.

"Louis was furious with the sharks. He thought they had an understanding: The men would stay out of the sharks' turf - the water - and the sharks would stay off theirs - the raft...If the sharks were going to try to eat him, he was going to try to eat them." From Unbroken by Laura Hillenbrand

Posts: 1862 | Location: Cincinnati, Ohio | Registered: May 26, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post