SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Poll: Do you highlight books while you read?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Poll: Do you highlight books while you read? Login/Join 
is circumspective
Picture of vinnybass
posted
Just wondering. I do it regularly. I developed the habit whilst studying technical books, and it's carried over to include passages in novels & such I'll likely refer back to.

Question:
Do you highlight passages in the books you're reading?

Choices:
Blasphemy! Thou shan't desecrate the leaves of thine tomes
Duh, how else am I going to remember the good stuff?
Highlighter? Izzat a Bic for bongs?

"We're all travelers in this world. From the sweet grass to the packing house. Birth 'til death. We travel between the eternities."

Posts: 5478 | Location: Las Vegas, NV. | Registered: May 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Corgis Rock
Picture of Icabod
posted Hide Post
As most of the books I read are on Kindle or iPad, using a highliter isn't pertinent. With an electronic book you can highlife pages, plus see what others have highlited.
Then you can undo the highlite passage at any time.

“ The work of destruction is quick, easy and exhilarating; the work of creation is slow, laborious and dull.

Posts: 6060 | Location: Outside Seattle | Registered: November 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No good deed
goes unpunished
Picture of cheesegrits
posted Hide Post
I underline or highlight material I'm learning or reading for work. I don't do that in books I'm reading for pleasure.

Posts: 2680 | Location: The Carolinas | Registered: June 08, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
On a Wing
and a Prayer
Picture of Pilken
posted Hide Post
I was taught, when trying to LEARN from a book, to use "active reading techniques". A highlighter, a notebook, and a dictionary were needed to "actively" read a book. Imagine the book as a lecture you'd hear in a lecture hall. Highlight the things that strike you as important, take notes to put things in "your own words" and look up any words that you are unsure of the meaning of (or words that might have double meanings). A smartphone is all I need now to take notes and look things up, but a highlighter is still necessary.

If I'm reading for pleasure. . . I skip all of this.

-------------------------
“I have heard there are troubles of more than one kind. Some come from ahead and some come from behind. But I've bought a big bat. I'm all ready you see. Now my troubles are going to have troubles with me!”
- Dr. Seuss

Posts: 2624 | Location: FINALLY just outside of Chicagoland | Registered: April 24, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
stupid beyond
all belief
Picture of Deqlyn
posted Hide Post
yes in both ebooks and regular

What man is a man that does not make the world better. -Balian of Ibelin

Only boring people get bored. - Ruth Burke

Posts: 8227 | Registered: September 13, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Delusions of Adequacy
Picture of zoom6zoom
posted Hide Post
yeah, but now I have this yellow crap all over my screen.

I have my own style of humor. I call it Snarkasm.

Posts: 17944 | Location: Virginia | Registered: June 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by zoom6zoom:
yeah, but now I have this yellow crap all over my screen.
Smile

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30647 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
I've been known to dog-ear pages with passages that strike me, but no highlighting.

Posts: 20081 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
If it’s a book that has stuff I might want to refer back to, I write the page and a brief description of the passage on a sticky note at the front of the book. That way I can find what I’m looking for without having to page through everything to find a highlighted line and then decide if it’s the one I want.

I also hate to deface books.

What amuses me is to run across something like a textbook with entire pages highlighted: “Uh … fellas, if you’re highlighting everything, you’re emphasizing nothing.”

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47397 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
Vandalism

Posts: 26893 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spread the Disease
Picture of flesheatingvirus
posted Hide Post
Winter will come for you if you deface my books. Your children and your childrens' children will suffer for it. For the night is dark and full of terrors, mainly pissed off anal retentive bibliophiles.

HELL....NO.

If you must, make notes on a post-it on the inside of the front cover.

-- Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past me I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain. --

Posts: 17269 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: October 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I voted yes because I do highlight and make notes on endpages but this is entirely dependent on the type of book.
Books that I consider reference material usually are highlighted, underlined, and noted.

Posts: 3853 | Location: Citrus County Florida | Registered: October 13, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
is circumspective
Picture of vinnybass
posted Hide Post
Just to be clear...I'm talking about my own books, for my own use. I keep them nice & straight otherwise, & don't dog ear, but for me the highlight becomes part of the book.

"We're all travelers in this world. From the sweet grass to the packing house. Birth 'til death. We travel between the eternities."

Posts: 5478 | Location: Las Vegas, NV. | Registered: May 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Nope. I find it distracting. If I need to study material, I use a notebook and write down what I need to know in my own words.

"It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts." Sherlock Holmes

Posts: 1286 | Registered: February 26, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
No. It brings back bad memories of used textbooks in college and used books that I always wanted a copy of and that I thought were pristine.

Ugh. If I ever find that idiot who put that ONE highlighter mark in my copy of "Border Wars Of Texas", I'm gonna brain them. If I can find their brain.

Posts: 27291 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
No, I do not deface books.

"I am your retribution." - Donald Trump, speech at CPAC, March 4, 2023

Posts: 107502 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by flesheatingvirus:
Winter will come for you if you deface my books. Your children and your childrens' children will suffer for it. For the night is dark and full of terrors, mainly pissed off anal retentive bibliophiles.

HELL....NO.

If you must, make notes on a post-it on the inside of the front cover.

Well said.

Posts: 17113 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Kindle guy here. So yes. In all kinds of fancy colors (even ones I check out from the library Big Grin) Plus I can send annotations to myself.

Posts: 958 | Registered: October 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
At Jacob's Well
Picture of jaaron11
posted Hide Post
In my Bible or reference books for work, absolutely. In novels or "fun" books, no.

J

Rak Chazak Amats

Posts: 5281 | Location: SW Missouri | Registered: May 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of olfuzzy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigfreund:
If it’s a book that has stuff I might want to refer back to, I write the page and a brief description of the passage on a sticky note at the front of the book. That way I can find what I’m looking for without having to page through everything to find a highlighted line and then decide if it’s the one I want.

I also hate to deface books.

This is what I do with books and some magazines.

Posts: 5181 | Location: 20 miles north of hell | Registered: November 07, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post