SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    ATF National Tracing Center - national DB for locating guns... interesting video (NOT "conspiracy theory", GQ magazine video)
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

ATF National Tracing Center - national DB for locating guns... interesting video (NOT "conspiracy theory", GQ magazine video) Login/Join 
Rock Paper
Scissors
Lizard Spock
Picture of James in Denver
posted
Interesting video... I had no idea this truly existed. I always wondered how they "traced" firearms...

Inside the Real-Life Database of America’s Firearms - GQ

They can't store names, they actually convert any electronic records to TIFs then upload those with FFL and Firearm/Serial number info.

Located in Martinsburg West Virginia.

Video is dated late last year (August 30, 2016).

Hope you find it interesting.

James in Denver

----------------------------
"Voldemorte himself created his worst enemy, just as tyrants everywhere do! Have you any idea how much tyrants fear the people they oppress? All of them realize that, one day, amongst their many victims, there is sure to be one who rises against them and strikes back!"
Book 6 - Ch 23

Posts: 4484 | Location: Colorado | Registered: August 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
fwiw, TIFFs are container files, sort of like zips or mp4s, but specific to images and include meta data. Many tiffs hold JPEGs inside. Or they can hold uncompressed images, too. It's just a way of cataloging images in some circles, often when scanning is involved.

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Conservative Behind
Enemy Lines
Picture of synthplayer
posted Hide Post
After watching the video, I am left thinking, "Thank God for the NRA."

I found what you said riveting.

Posts: 10703 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: June 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raptorman
Picture of Mars_Attacks
posted Hide Post
TIFF is a Tagged Image Format

It was developed for scanners to have a uniform system of storage.

It is the preferred format for OCR software as it readily converts to 1 bit color so the software can detect the letter.

Eeewwww, don't touch it!
Here, poke at it with this stick.

Posts: 34107 | Location: North, GA | Registered: October 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
If you see me running
try to keep up
Picture of mrvmax
posted Hide Post
The guy in the vault was cool, instead of saying nobody had a use for the Barrett or cane gun he gave justifiable and practical uses.

Posts: 4101 | Location: Friendswood Texas | Registered: August 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
Such a complete and utter waste of resources!!!!!
Should be a simple form, call it in to NICS, get the yes, no, or delayed. Once the yes is given the form is destroyed and the person leaves with a new gun and smile on their face.

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25408 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Optimistic Cynic
Picture of architect
posted Hide Post
If the purpose of the background check is to vet the individual, why do they need the serial number of the firearm?

Posts: 6455 | Location: NoVA | Registered: July 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shall Not Be Infringed
Picture of nhracecraft
posted Hide Post
The Serial # of the firearm is NOT included in the NICS / background check....It is only recorded on the 4473.

If Some is Good, and More is Better.....then Too Much, is Just Enough !!
Trump 2024....Save America!
"May Almighty God bless the United States of America" - parabellum 7/26/20
Live Free or Die!

Posts: 8865 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: October 29, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Main Thing Is
Not To Get Excited
Picture of wishfull thinker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by nhracecraft:
The Serial # of the firearm is NOT included in the NICS / background check....It is only recorded on the 4473.

In the state of Washington, pistol serial numbers are recorded on a separate form and delivered to the chief law enforcement officer of your address, that is police chief in the case of a city, sheriff if you are county.

Nothing to worry about though, unless you've done something wrong. You haven't have you?

Posts: 6386 | Location: Washington | Registered: November 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do No Harm,
Do Know Harm
posted Hide Post
It doesn't take much to meet a dead end when you're trying to figure out how the gun got from the FFL to the mope you've caught with it 10 years later.

When you are doing an investigation all you get is "Jim Bob bought the gun from xxx on xx/xx/xxxx. Jim Bob's address at the time was xxx." Then it's up to you to track down who Jim Bob sold it to, and who they sold it to, etc. In my experience, the trail went cold more times than hot.

Of course, I'm firmly in the camp that there should be no form of registration, which keeping the 4473s is only one step away from being such.

It's one of the few things I don't mind making my job harder.

Knowing what one is talking about is widely admired but not strictly required here.

Although sometimes distracting, there is often a certain entertainment value to this easy standard.
-JALLEN

"All I need is a WAR ON DRUGS reference and I got myself a police thread BINGO." -jljones

Posts: 11448 | Location: NC | Registered: August 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by chongosuerte:...

And if I failed to say it before, I am most grateful that you are on the job.

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43867 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by chongosuerte:...

If one could not tell from my original post we are rowing the same boat.

————————————————

Shall Not Be Infringed
Picture of nhracecraft
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wishfull thinker:
quote:

In the state of Washington, pistol serial numbers are recorded on a separate form and delivered to the chief law enforcement officer of your address, that is police chief in the case of a city, sheriff if you are county.

Nothing to worry about though, unless you've done something wrong. You haven't have you?

This does NOT happen in a Free State! Wink

Live Free or Die!

Posts: 8865 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: October 29, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:

Unless you buy multiple pistols in a transaction.

————————————————

Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Yeah, actually I have. ( I know, I'm in Florida, but still Smile )

Lived many decades as a white male constitutionally conservative American. Over the last 9 years or so, have been rebranded as a racist, deplorable Nazi associated with terrorist groups like the Tea Party and the NRA.

But its nothing to worry about. You trust your government, don't you?

Posts: 15886 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shall Not Be Infringed
Picture of nhracecraft
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Black92LX:
quote:
quote:
quote:

Unless you buy multiple pistols in a transaction.

Well, I guess if you MUST purchase multiple handguns, or semi-auto rifles, AND transfer/take possession within a 5 day period, then yes, they'll need to fill out a 3310 as well. Roll Eyes

Live Free or Die!