SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Tracking Dorian
Page 1 2 3 4 ... 15
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Tracking Dorian Login/Join 
Picture of just1tym
posted
I didn't want to thread drift in the other thread about advice concerning a visit to Orlando so..

I see on the 5pm advisory the fear mongers are getting at the top of their game with the newest tracking models. Once they all seem to converge I guess that the accuracy will be more certain. With that said from what I just saw it is predicted to be nearing a category 3 at landfall if their predictions (guesses) are accurate and a bit more southerly track. They're already sending their storm minions out dispersing them out among the Islands. I wish all those up in the path well and being prepared or at the least staying up with the advisories might be a good idea. Sorry to say I sure don't want it coming our way in the south.

These days I'm just not up to putting up all the shutters and stuff. At least I do have accordions on the larger full size front windows but aluminum code shutters for the remaining. In fact the last good blow I had my sister and brother-in-law help put up the others and just left them up for that remainder of the season that year..

Good luck folks! And if this storm tracks as their current models are showing, a trip to Disney or the Orlando area wouldn't be such a good idea.

Wait and see...

Regards, Will G.

Posts: 9660 | Location: 140 mi to Margaritaville, FL | Registered: January 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sourdough44
posted Hide Post
In Puerto Rico now, not bad at all. Storm veered NW, currently great in Old Town, though lots of stuff is closed.

Posts: 6197 | Location: WI | Registered: February 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ironmike57
posted Hide Post
I just waited over an hour for gas at a local Costco. The line was out in the street and around a corner. This is going to drive me crazy as I drive about 500 miles per day. People need to chill.

Posts: 1981 | Location: Florida | Registered: July 26, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I was born and raised in Fort Lauderdale and have been quite a few hurricanes. Including Andrew and Wilma and Irma (which was the most surprising as we didn't get a lot of windspeed here but it sat for 2 days and we still have considerable damage with 70 mph winds and gusts). I'm currently managing and responsible for protecting $16 million in assets split between 3 properties, 3 yachts, and 2 center consoles. My best guess is it will hit Vero Beach or North. I've been tracking it for the past 4 days. But, I'm getting everything ready, tomorrow and Friday. Simply because it takes 2 full days to get everything ready. All of the owners I work for want everything taken care of and don't care about spending the money to protect everything. This being said, I've made my home hurricane ready in 15 minutes, because I have everyone else stuff to do...…I put impact windows and basically it's simply putting 2 grills, a bench and a few odds and ends inside. This time of the year I always keep a few full propane tanks, plenty of charcoal, plenty of bottled water and food in the freezer and cupboards.....so I'm ready all of the time.

It does look like it is going to be quite a bit stronger than a category 1. It sat at 40-50 mph winds for 2 days and was supposed to hit as a TS but then it picked up steam earlier than expected and turned into a 1......So given the distance it could easily pick up to a 3 I think.

You might want to just hire someone to put them up now, before the rush from everyone else getting ready for the storm and the torrential rain and higher winds for the day or two before the storm. The older I get, I'd rather be prepared ahead of time and not fight the rush of everyone driving around with their head cut off, and fighting over water and gasoline.

The problem with taking a trip to Disney is it will be miserable even if it passes. Restaraunts out of food or just closed because they thought the storm was coming, horrible traffic because everyone's out of work, many things closed and tons of rain (most likely). A friend of mine left like 2 days before IRMA and was stuck on I-95 for 18 hours before he got to GA. I certainly wouldn't fly into Orlando. And, if it does hit, you'll be miserable for days afterwards and won't be able to fly out.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of HayesGreener
posted Hide Post
There goes my weekend

CMSGT USAF (Retired)
Chief of Police (Retired)

Posts: 4359 | Location: Florida Panhandle | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of just1tym
posted Hide Post
Sheez, I just looked at their "Cone of Concern", I know I have hardly watched any Local News on the tube but my God, is that just me or is that a new thing? The Cone of Concern has the whole state of Florida in it. I know that it's several days from any landfall but it now has me here in the deep south Florida Coast included again!

These days being a little bit more behind the health eight ball I've at least got to get a plan together. They were even just discussing getting the Governor on board with declaring a State Emergency for the whole State!!

So many things have changed over the years and the Hurricane Seasons are at the top priority of the News dominations. Getting there first with the "story"..

Here we go again, at least many here know what to expect and make the necessary preparations in advance. Gas is one like Ironmike just mentioned. Next is the mad rush to the grocery stores..water, food stuffs..etc

Regards, Will G.

Posts: 9660 | Location: 140 mi to Margaritaville, FL | Registered: January 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ice age heat wave,
cant complain.
Picture of MikeGLI
posted Hide Post
People have lost their fucking minds at Publix. I stop by to grab something for dinner and all the shopping carts are gone, parking lot FULL, and the shelves look like the apocalypse.

Lets not act like we haven't been here before.

NRA Life Member
Steak: Rare. Coffee: Black. Bourbon: Neat.

Posts: 9701 | Location: Orlando, Florida | Registered: July 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ironmike57:
I just waited over an hour for gas at a local Costco. The line was out in the street and around a corner. This is going to drive me crazy as I drive about 500 miles per day. People need to chill.

I see you live in Delray. If you want to skip any lines and have gas cans, you're going to pay more for it, but just go to a marina that sells gas and fill the cans, you will have zero wait for gas, no matter what is going on in the street. Big Grin

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ironmike57
posted Hide Post
I went to a local Walmart at 6:00 am on my way to work. Water was gone. I had to complete my supply from a another Walmart in Naples!

quote:
Originally posted by just1tym:

Here we go again, at least many here know what to expect and make the necessary preparations in advance. Gas is one like Ironmike just mentioned. Next is the mad rush to the grocery stores..water, food stuffs..etc

Posts: 1981 | Location: Florida | Registered: July 26, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of just1tym
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MikeGLI:
People have lost their fucking minds at Publix. I stop by to grab something for dinner and all the shopping carts are gone, parking lot FULL, and the shelves look like the apocalypse.

Lets not act like we haven't been here before.

And let the panic begin! Big Grin Those local News stations are licking their chops. They are partially if not more for all the necessary panic at the gas pumps, grocery, hardware stores, and yea, jamming up the roads with angry and panicked people who look to them for advice and direction..

Regards, Will G.

A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by just1tym:
Sheez, I just looked at their "Cone of Concern", ...

Then there is the "Cone of What If?" that covers all of the solar system and 2/3 of the Oort belt.

If my interpreting cave scribblin' is correct, I think the dinosaurs ignored the "CoWI?" and were wiped out when they failed the warnings and then made a big stampede stomping each other's guts out in the process and settling into puddles of oily goo.

But I could be wrong about my interpretation. It was a long time ago...

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43941 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ironmike57
posted Hide Post
Thanks Jimmy, I buy all of my gas at Costco as they have the best prices. But I am not going to wait in line like that again. I will spend the extra .25 per gallon at a Chevron or Shell. I just bought my first gas can today. A 2 gallon beauty!

quote:
Originally posted by jimmy123x:
quote:

I see you live in Delray. If you want to skip any lines and have gas cans, you're going to pay more for it, but just go to a marina that sells gas and fill the cans, you will have zero wait for gas, no matter what is going on in the street. Big Grin

Altitude Minimum
Picture of BOATTRASH1
posted Hide Post
Mine too. Got 1 big boat and 3 smaller ones to take are of plus clearing off the dock and at least getting my shutters to the house. Last year lost labor day and Columbus Day weekends to storm prep. At least they didn’t hit here (Shalimar/FWB)
quote:
Originally posted by HayesGreener:
There goes my weekend

Posts: 1228 | Location: Shalimar, FL | Registered: January 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of just1tym
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HayesGreener:
There goes my weekend

Oh yea, I just remembered it's the Labor Day Weekend Show too Smile I'm really outta touch since retirement Razz

It's ramping up for a massive-like planetary alignment type event converging on Florida, with The Cone of Concern, State of Emergency and panic and all that. The Monkey is right on!

Regards, Will G.

Altitude Minimum
Picture of BOATTRASH1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jimmy123x:
quote:

Jimmy, I imagine St. Lucie lock got busy quick late this afternoon. Probably gonna be a zoo tomorrow.

Posts: 1228 | Location: Shalimar, FL | Registered: January 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Everyone can stop worrying - I purchased a window AC Unit in case power goes out and we use the portable generator. If history is any indication - anytime I spend significant money on hurricane preps...nothing happens.

All kidding aside, I'm in Houston and flying into Orlando tomorrow evening and am disappointed to hear the zaniness is already starting as far as gas and supplies.

Posts: 248 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: December 09, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hurricane warnings should never be taken lightly, but fearmongering a hurricane bolsters the human caused global warming/climate change narrative.

Posts: 1316 | Location: Gainesville, VA | Registered: February 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stangosaurus Rex
Picture of Tommydogg
posted Hide Post
It looks like it moving in in the house of Dogg! I gassed everything up last night and 7 5 gallon cans before the lines hit and the price went up. Plenty of water. I save water jugs and bottles just for this. Shutters going up probably Friday or Saturday weather depending.

Beth Greene

Posts: 7841 | Location: South Florida | Registered: January 09, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rushfan65
posted Hide Post
Hopefully won't have to put up my shutters, but everything is in place if I have to. Stay safe everyone.

Posts: 383 | Location: Margate, FL | Registered: January 23, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I've always been Crazy!
kept me from goin Insane!
posted Hide Post
Might screw my vacation supposed to be in Gulf Shores Monday.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A 'Veteran' -- whether active duty, discharged, retired, or reserve -- is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America,' for an amount of 'up to, and including his life.' That is honor, and there are way too many people in this country today, who no longer understand that fact.
Author unknown

Posts: 2182 | Location: Lyndon,KS | Registered: November 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post