SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Memorial Day Flag Etiquette
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Memorial Day Flag Etiquette Login/Join 
Bookers Bourbon
and a good cigar
Picture of Johnny 3eagles
posted
Just a reminder:

On Memorial Day the flag should be flown at half-staff from sunrise until noon only, then raised briskly to the top of the staff until sunset, in honor of the nation’s battle heroes

BIDEN SUCKS.

If you're goin' through hell, keep on going.
Don't slow down. If you're scared don't show it.
You might get out before the devil even knows you're there.

NRA ENDOWMENT LIFE MEMBER

Posts: 7120 | Location: Arkansas  | Registered: November 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
I was hoping that the guy who is doing the major repairs / renovation for our house would have the flag pole installed by now, but no such luck.

Maybe Flag Day.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30644 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I did not know about the half-staff till noon, so it shall be written, so it shall be done.. Thank You

Welcome to my home, that door you just kicked in, was locked for your protection, not mine.

Posts: 79 | Location: South St. Louis | Registered: November 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 808
posted Hide Post
Half staff over the next three days per the president.

**** Please Note, There are two Half-Staff Events ****

1. President Trump orders flags to fly at half-staff to honor CoronaVirus victims

"I will be lowering the flags on all Federal Buildings and National Monuments to half-staff over the next three days in memory of the Americans we have lost to the CoronaVirus," the President tweeted the evening of Thursday, May 22nd

*** Flags should be at Half-Staff Immediately for the Next Three Days per the President's Tweet.

2. Memorial Day United States Flag Display

Memorial Day, which is observed on the last Monday of May, commemorates the men and women who died while in the military service. In observance of Memorial Day, fly the United States flag at half staff from sunrise until NOON , and then raise it to full height from noon to sundown.

United States Flag Code
Section 7.M

The flag, when flown at half-staff, should be first hoisted to the peak for an instant and then slowly lowered to the half-staff position. The flag should be again raised to the peak before it is lowered for the day. On Memorial Day the flag should be displayed at half-staff until noon only, then raised to the top of the staff.
Click here to see the entire US Flag Code....

*** Flags should be at Half-Staff From Sunrise Until Noon on Monday, May 25th.

Posts: 1231 | Location: Great Commonwealth of Pennsylvania | Registered: February 04, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Dumb question: if you don't have a flag pole, just a flag on a pole that you stick in a mount, what is the appropriate way to fly it this weekend?

Mongo only pawn in game of life...

Posts: 683 | Location: DFW | Registered: August 15, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 808:
Half staff over the next three days per the president.

1. President Trump orders flags to fly at half-staff to honor CoronaVirus victims

Oh Lord...

No. What next: Flags at half staff for annual influenza victims?

I will observe the proper etiquette on Memorial Day.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bookers Bourbon
and a good cigar
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Puckpilot78:
Dumb question: if you don't have a flag pole, just a flag on a pole that you stick in a mount, what is the appropriate way to fly it this weekend?

Half way on the pole. Same thing.

BIDEN SUCKS.

Posts: 7120 | Location: Arkansas  | Registered: November 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No, not like
Bill Clinton
Picture of BigSwede
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Johnny 3eagles:
quote:

There is no adjustment, it's either mounted or it's not

Posts: 5317 | Location: GA | Registered: September 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Sorry my question was a little vague. I have one where the flag is fixed to the pole so it can't be moved, just rolled up for storage. I can't imagine there's anything wrong with displaying it as-is.

Mongo only pawn in game of life...

Posts: 683 | Location: DFW | Registered: August 15, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blackmore
posted Hide Post
I have a fixed flag but have a short piece from an old pole I add to the top (appears half staff) until noon. Then I remove it to give full staff look.

Truth: The New Hate Speech

Posts: 3445 | Location: W. Central NH | Registered: October 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
I have one where the flag is fixed to the pole so it can't be moved, just rolled up for storage. I can't imagine there's anything wrong with displaying it as-is.

That's what I used to do.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ensigmatic:
quote:
I have one where the flag is fixed to the pole so it can't be moved, just rolled up for storage. I can't imagine there's anything wrong with displaying it as-is.

That's what I used to do.

That's what we'll be doing...

Posts: 23392 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 2BobTanner
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:

Sorry my question was a little vague. I have one where the flag is fixed to the pole so it can't be moved, just rolled up for storage. I can't imagine there's anything wrong with displaying it as-is.

If it’s not too late, you could obtain a black ribbon strip about 2-inches wide and 3-feet in length and attach it at the head of the pole. This has become an acceptable method to indicate “mourning” when the flag itself cannot be properly half-staffed.

---------------------
LGBFJB

"Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it." — Mark Twain

“Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard.” — H. L. Mencken

Posts: 2698 | Location: Falls of the Ohio River, Kain-tuk-e | Registered: January 13, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BigSwede:
quote:
quote:

There is no adjustment, it's either mounted or it's not
Same here. Presumably, attaching a black streamer at the top of the pole is a substitution for half-staff. Unfortunately, I don't have tha ability to manage the attachment and removal of the streamer (although I do have one).

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Still finding my way
Picture of Ryanp225
posted Hide Post
I have a flag on the end of a stick. I'll just be putting it in it's little holder doohicky.

Posts: 10849 | Registered: January 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not as lean, not as mean,
Still a Marine
Picture of Gibb
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 2BobTanner:
quote:

If it’s not too late, you could obtain a black ribbon strip about 2-inches wide and 3-feet in length and attach it at the head of the pole. This has become an acceptable method to indicate “mourning” when the flag itself cannot be properly half-staffed.

This.

A mourning ribbon is the proper way to show respects (half mast/staff) on a fixed flag.

I shall respect you until you open your mouth, from that point on, you must earn it yourself.

Posts: 3352 | Location: Southern Maine | Registered: February 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of downtownv
posted Hide Post
president trump orders all flags 1/2 Mast starting today. I NEVER follow my Governor's notice(He Can stick it up his ass) I only follow my President.

"I will be lowering the flags on all Federal Buildings and National Monuments to half-staff over the next three days in memory of the Americans we have lost to the CoronaVirus," the President tweeted the evening of Thursday, May 22nd

*** Flags should be at Half-Staff Immediately for the Next Three Days per the President's Tweet.

2. Memorial Day United States Flag Display

Memorial Day, which is observed on the last Monday of May, commemorates the men and women who died while in the military service. In observance of Memorial Day, fly the United States flag at half staff from sunrise until NOON , and then raise it to full height from noon to sundown.

United States Flag Code
Section 7.M

The flag, when flown at half-staff, should be first hoisted to the peak for an instant and then slowly lowered to the half-staff position. The flag should be again raised to the peak before it is lowered for the day. On Memorial Day the flag should be displayed at half-staff until noon only, then raised to the top of the staff.

*** Flags should be at Half-Staff From Sunrise Until Noon on Monday, May 25th.

https://www.teampython.com

Posts: 8343 | Location: 18 miles long, 6 Miles at Sea | Registered: January 22, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lead slingin'
Parrot Head
Picture of Modern Day Savage
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ensigmatic:
Oh Lord...

No. What next: Flags at half staff for annual influenza victims?

I will observe the proper etiquette on Memorial Day.

That was my reaction as well when I heard the news a couple days ago... actually, the order ticked me off.

This order diminishes the intent of what this day is supposed to commemorate. And, while it is appropriate to mourn and grieve those lost to COVID-19, why does their loss warrant this honor? Are the victims who died from H1N1, AIDS, or Bird Flu less worthy, or for that matter the victims of drunk driving, or rock climbing, or construction accidents?

Two groups are being remembered this weekend...but only one in which their service to the country led to their death.

Posts: 7324 | Location: the Centennial state | Registered: August 21, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have my flag ready to fly. I plan to fly it Sat., Sun., and Monday.......as I usually do.

Posts: 6613 | Location: Az | Registered: May 27, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bookers Bourbon
and a good cigar
posted Hide Post
My flag is flown 24/7, illuminated by an LED spotlight on a Sunset to Sunrise astronomical timer.

BIDEN SUCKS.