SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Telephone test equipment aka buttset
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Telephone test equipment aka buttset Login/Join 
Picture of dubdubu
posted Hide Post
An analog telephone line has 48vdc. I you have a volt meter you can use that to check for voltage before and after the splices in the wire. A buttset is just gonna let you hear it and a meter you can see it on the readout.

Posts: 68 | Location: St Louis Co, Mo | Registered: November 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of eTripper
posted Hide Post
First thing to try is put a 'toner' on the jack-pairs, and see if tones back to the demark. If you have a toner, the light should also come-on either 'red', or 'green' for a good hot connection. This will show the polarity. Also, remember that a toner will sometimes jump a weak-pair even at the block. I was a phone guy for thirty-years. As other have said, you may just have a bad pair on the station cable. A lot of things can cause problems: as mentioned cross-connect wire, or a bad bridge clip could be a culprit. But I doubt this, for a residential set-up. Fluke's are good butt-sets, especially if your going to be testing Centrex lines.

"We're after men - and I wish to God I was with them. The next time you make a mistake, I'm going to ride off and let you die." - Deke Thornton, - The Wild Bunch

Posts: 759 | Location: 'The Hive' beneath Raccoon City | Registered: February 07, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dies Irae
Picture of Opus Dei
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by shovelhead:
I agree. Automotive Scotchlocks were praised by many years ago especially for trailer wiring. Well until they found out that they would allow moisture in and corrode. Especially when they would allow the corrosion to migrate back into the harness past the junction point. I saw so much of that crap out west with the ranch trucks. Even though those telephone Scotchlocks are in a more controlled environment it still does not matter. Now I wonder if when I bumped the wiring I did something to it.

IDK about other applications, but if telco Scotchloks are getting moisture inside, the wrong type is being used. There's "dry" types, which are unfilled and intended for immersion in encapsulant. "Jelly" Scotchloks are intended for exposed connections.

Posts: 5750 | Location: Fort Heathen, Texas | Registered: February 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Opus Dei:
quote:
Originally posted by shovelhead:
I agree. Automotive Scotchlocks were praised by many years ago especially for trailer wiring. Well until they found out that they would allow moisture in and corrode. Especially when they would allow the corrosion to migrate back into the harness past the junction point. I saw so much of that crap out west with the ranch trucks. Even though those telephone Scotchlocks are in a more controlled environment it still does not matter. Now I wonder if when I bumped the wiring I did something to it.

IDK about other applications, but if telco Scotchloks are getting moisture inside, the wrong type is being used. There's "dry" types, which are unfilled and intended for immersion in encapsulant. "Jelly" Scotchloks are intended for exposed connections.

I use UR connectors, which I assume are pretty much the same thing as you guys are talking about. The 3M brand ones have oil, or something in them to prevent corrosion. You can see it when you squeeze them shut.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20815 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Page late and a dollar short
posted Hide Post
Thank you to everybody that answered here. The knowledge and assistance here is greatly appreciated.

-------------------------------------——————
————————--Ignorance is a powerful tool if applied at the right time, even, usually, surpassing knowledge(E.J.Potter, A.K.A. The Michigan Madman)

Posts: 8099 | Location: Livingston County Michigan USA | Registered: August 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post