SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Non-Electric Backup Lighting
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Non-Electric Backup Lighting Login/Join 
10mm is The
Boom of Doom
Picture of Fenris
posted
Para's recent thread about battery lanterns got me thinking about other types of backup lighting. I have a few candles and a couple of kerosene lanterns from a thrift store. But are these the best for the job? As a kid we had a couple Coleman lanterns for camping. I remember them being a pain.

Yes, I know flames are a fire risk.

Question:
Do you keep non-electric backup lights? More than just a couple candles that is.

Choices:
Yes
No

Question:
What type? Or if more than one, what is your primary?

Choices:
Candles
Kerosene lanterns
Coleman fuel, white gas, naptha
Propane
Other

The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People again must learn to work, instead of living on public assistance. ~ Cicero 55 BC

The Dhimocrats love America like ticks love a hound.

Posts: 17460 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of DougE
posted Hide Post
We have a bunch of candles, a few oil lamps, and I have a Coleman lantern that runs on regular unleaded gas.

The water in Washington won't clear up until we get the pigs out of the creek~Senator John Kennedy

Posts: 987 | Location: Richmond, KY | Registered: February 02, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
eh-TEE-oh-clez
Picture of Aeteocles
posted Hide Post
We've got a bag full of votives and a Coleman propane lantern for camping. For emergency use, in anything other than an EMP, LED lights are pretty much the way to go.

Posts: 13047 | Location: Orange County, California | Registered: May 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Don't Panic
Picture of joel9507
posted Hide Post
Just so you know, the poll design forces folks who don't use non-electric backup to pick one of the options in the second question.

Might want to modify the second question to include (Don't use) as a choice.

To avoid messing with the results, I chose 'other'.

No need here - we have a generator and a 500 gallon propane tank.

Posts: 15027 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: October 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
They're not on your list but several Aladdin lamps here, some of which I've had for decades. High quality lighting, odorless, easy to use and maintain. They're now a little expensive but there's nothing else quite like them.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"And it's time that particularly, some of our corporations learned, that when you get in bed with government, you're going to get more than a good night's sleep."
- Ronald Reagan

Posts: 5785 | Location: Pegram, TN | Registered: March 17, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I collect coleman lanterns. Big Grin

Posts: 5405 | Registered: April 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by joel9507:
No need here - we have a generator and a 500 gallon propane tank.

Does your generator have electronics that might be affected by an EMP? Our house is off-grid solar with a large battery bank (24 2 volt, 1700 amp hour deep cycle marine batteries) and an 8KW propane backup generator and we have a 500 gallon propane tank. That was great until a nearby lightning strike damaged the brain in the generator, taking it out of service. Yeah, if the propane generator hiccups now it is as simple as as taking the skiploader, scooping up the forks, scooping up the diesel powered arc welder (and 10KW generator), bringing it up to the house, plugging the pigtail in to the welder, starting it, and flipping the transfer switch. Of course in the event of an EMP, the whole solar system will likely be Tango Uniform, and while the skippy is old enough that it *might* still work the welder almost certainly won't.

At least the water gravities down from the 420,000 gallon (10,000 bbl) welded steel tank. In the event of an EMP, we'll likely be completely w/o electricity and lose the booster pumps as well as the tankless water heater, but we'll have plenty of water and 30psi of pressure. We likely won't be able to refill the tank, but as we probably won't be able to irrigate the orchard or the landscaping, it should last a good long time...

Hopefully we don't experience an EMP, as I am sure there would be plenty of other problems...

Posts: 6919 | Location: Lost, but making time. | Registered: February 23, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
quote:
At least the water gravities down from the 420,000 gallon (10,000 bbl) welded steel tank. In the event of an EMP, we'll likely be completely w/o electricity and lose the booster pumps as well as the tankless water heater, but we'll have plenty of water and 30psi of pressure. We likely won't be able to refill the tank, but as we probably won't be able to irrigate the orchard or the landscaping, it should last a good long time...

Hydropower, you could install a water wheel in the flow that would run gears to power a generator, as long as you have water flow you'd have power.

perhaps there is some kind of blanket you can cover the electronics with in case of an EMP type attack.

Posts: 23436 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bolt Thrower
Picture of Voshterkoff
posted Hide Post
All of the above, but have two battery light sources for every room. They are safer and easier to deal with. From what I have read battery powered electronics won't be effected by EMP as they don't have an antenna (power cord).

Posts: 9961 | Location: Woodinville, WA | Registered: March 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Equal Opportunity Mocker
Picture of slabsides45
posted Hide Post
I would, but I've heard it is a fire risk. You should consider that....

Big Grin

Candles (moreso), kerosene, and propane are all on hand.

"You cannot legislate the poor into freedom by legislating the wealthy out of freedom. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving."
-Dr. Adrian Rogers

Posts: 6390 | Location: Mogadishu on the Mississippi | Registered: February 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The success of a solution usually depends upon your point of view
posted Hide Post
I have a few oil burning hurricane lamps and I keep 2 or 3 extra bottle of lamp oil on hand for them. Flashlights are useful for tasks but for basic room illumination, especially for a longer time, oil lamps work great.

I have 2 Colmen lanterns in with the camping gear but I don't use them inside.

“We truly live in a wondrous age of stupid.” - 83v45magna

"I think it's important that people understand free speech doesn't mean free from consequences societally or politically or culturally."
-Pranjit Kalita, founder and CIO of Birkoa Capital Management

Posts: 3849 | Location: Jacksonville, FL | Registered: September 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
I tried mounting candles on the back of my 4x4, but getting out to light them each time proved to be too much of a pain in a butt, so I abandoned the idea.

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have both propane and white gas pressure type lanterns. In the winter I would use them for emergency lighting.

They are much to hot for summer lighting.

Posts: 3853 | Location: Citrus County Florida | Registered: October 13, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I guess I must really be a car person. My first thought was nothing else is logical for you car. I opened the thread.....o those backup lights!

Posts: 921 | Registered: June 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post