SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    4? year old laptop running sloooow...question p2
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

4? year old laptop running sloooow...question p2 Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
Just as a data point. I have a 7+ year old Asus laptop running win7 that still works just fine. It is possible to be a little old and still function.

Posts: 512 | Location: Pearland, Tx | Registered: June 22, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mikito:
Just as a data point. I have a 7+ year old Asus laptop running win7 that still works just fine. It is possible to be a little old and still function.

I'm running a 10 year old system. I started having problems recently, installed Ad Blocker Plus. No more problems. Most people don't need latest and greatest, I can still even play video games on my 2008 build.

Intel Core2 Quad Q9550 @ 2.83 GHz with 8GB RAM.

Running 64bit Win7 Premium

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20756 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Back, and
to the left
Picture of 83v45magna
posted Hide Post
I have a similar (but even older) laptop, around 12 years old now. It originally had Vista, and was NEVER fast. Never. Like it's lucky to not have bullet holes.

3 years ago I replaced the drive with an SSD and loaded it with Win 7. I use it similarly to Chongo, except now it pretty much just does travel duty and automotive repair software (VAG-Com, VIDA-DiCE) duty. Didn't change another damn thing and frankly it is as zippy as I could ever expect from a new one. That 120 GB SSD cost me about $42 shipped 3-4 years ago. Best thing that ever happened to it.

I returned, and saw under the sun, that the race is not to the swift, nor the battle to the strong, neither yet bread to the wise, nor yet riches to men of understanding, nor yet favour to men of skill; but time and chance happeneth to them all. -Ecclesiastes 9:11

Posts: 7232 | Location: Dallas | Registered: August 04, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Chongosuerte,

Like Aeteocles said earlier, Woot has some good deals on refurbished laptops right now. If you want to go with new, I would suggest looking at Micro Center - Hot deals. They are a great source for everything computer related. Have dealt with them for years, and never disappointed. Worth a look.

It's all about clean living. Just do the right thing, and karma will help with the rest.

Posts: 1106 | Location: The Republic of Texas | Registered: April 11, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Skins2881:
quote:

I'm running a 10 year old system. I started having problems recently, installed Ad Blocker Plus. No more problems. Most people don't need latest and greatest, I can still even play video games on my 2008 build.

Gentlemen, take from someone who actually builds and benchmark systems for a living.
This particular system of the OP is done ~ both technologically and physically.
Sometimes "old" systems can function adequately for it's needs.
It's all in the details.
"Adblocker" is not the answer here, trust me.

Posts: 22858 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by smschulz:
quote:
quote:

Gentlemen, take from someone who actually builds and benchmark systems for a living.
This particular system of the OP is done ~ both technologically and physically.
Sometimes "old" systems can function adequately for it's needs.
It's all in the details.
"Adblocker" is not the answer here, trust me.

I have been considering replacing mine, but it works fine still, especially for what I use it for. Would you suggest that I replace it before it dies? Is there anything this can't do for me now that it should? I get mailers all the time for Dell and Costco with good deals on them. Looks like I can buy a whole computer for what I spent on my 27" Flatscreen in 2008.

When I bought this one it was the best you could get under $2,000. When I do purchase again should I do the same? Go highend and get many years of use out of it, or get 1 year old tech and replace every 3-4 years?

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20756 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
quote:
I have been considering replacing mine, but it works fine still, especially for what I use it for. Would you suggest that I replace it before it dies? Is there anything this can't do for me now that it should? I get mailers all the time for Dell and Costco with good deals on them. Looks like I can buy a whole computer for what I spent on my 27" Flatscreen in 2008.

When I bought this one it was the best you could get under $2,000. When I do purchase again should I do the same? Go highend and get many years of use out of it , or get 1 year old tech and replace every 3-4 years?

If you are fine with the performance then just keep a good back up of your data.
However, even though I build systems one of my prime desktop computers I am upgrading ~ actually just building a new one.

Old System was decent "in it's time"
Intel Gen 1 I7-870 CPU (no graphics)
Intel motherboard matx
8gb ddr3
Intel SSD 180gb(recently migrated when I was running out of space)
NVidia GTX275 vid card ~ 700w ps stuffed in matx case
W7 pro 64

New System
Intel Gen 7 I7-7700K
16gb DDR4
Gigabyte itx mb with Intel 270 chipset
Intel NVMe M2 SSD 500gb
Graphic is built in to CPU
600w ps AND Watercooled CPU stuffed into a itx case
W10 Pro

The only game I do is a Golf Game from Stream. It does fine.
The benchmark tests are off the chart except for 3D graphics (which is average-to-decent).
It is fast and it takes a lot to impress me.
The biggest problem is stuffing everything into the case effectively and neatly.
The case is mini-itx but a book shelf size and the mb is only 6.7" by 6.7"
It would be a challenge to install a "gaming" graphics card in this particular case.
The CPU is cooled with a 240mm watercooler.
My objective was to keep the footprint size down.
Parts were around $1200 or so not counting any software or OS.
Very fast and should last a long time.
My old system still works well though and it was built in 2008.
YMMV

Posts: 22858 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shit don't
mean shit
posted Hide Post
I would backup the data you want, wipe the drive and re-install the OS. Should take you a few hours and it will probably help. If it doesn't, you are only out a few hours of your time, zero dollars.

The idea of, "it's only a few hundred bucks" doesn't fly with me....but I am thrifty.

Posts: 5734 | Location: 7400 feet in Conifer CO | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Live long
and prosper
Picture of 0-0
posted Hide Post
Hi chongo, sould you be interested in a remote session?
I could connect to your machine using Teamviewer and have a look.
Would install some easily removed freeware to check your OS health and get rid of useless stuff with your permisssion and approval. Could take me an hour or so and couñd be scheduled during seekend or late at night. Done this sith a bunch of SFers over the years.
Typing using the phone sucks.

You have my email.

0-0

"OP is a troll" - Flashlightboy, 12/18/20

Posts: 12090 | Location: BsAs, Argentina | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RGRacing
posted Hide Post
Replace with Solid State Drive 256G
Reload with W10
You will be amazed -

Posts: 493 | Location: Mpls, MN | Registered: January 05, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Security Sage
Picture of striker1
posted Hide Post
A clean OS image and an SSD can make that older laptop run much better, chongosuerte. 4GB is fine for Win7.

But the better money is spent on a newish laptop.

RB

Cancer fighter (Non-Hodgkins Lymphoma) since 2009, now fighting Diffuse Large B-Cell Lymphoma.

Posts: 7133 | Location: Michiana | Registered: March 01, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Chip away the stone
Picture of rusbro
posted Hide Post
It's really about your time vs. your money, as well as your enjoyment. If you think you'd enjoy cleaning the old laptop up and handing it off to someone else if it's still not fast enough for you, go for it. That's what I'd do, though I wouldn't personally spend any money on new hardware or a new OS for it. If you'd rather just solve the problem with the least amount of time spent, buy a new one and be done with it.

Posts: 11597 | Registered: August 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
eh-TEE-oh-clez
Picture of Aeteocles
posted Hide Post
You really ought to get a new laptop.

Not only are newer laptops more powerful, but they're also more efficient.

That means brighter, clearer LCD screens, with sharper text and graphics. It also means cooler, quieter operation, and longer battery life.

Not to mention that a computer that old will likely have parts that will simply just wear out. The hard disk platter will one day day. The battery likely doesn't hold a charge like it used to, and will one day just die. The LCD lamp is likely already dimmer than when it was new, and will one day die.

If you don't need to be "mobile" (read: you don't travel with your laptop a ton, you don't use your laptop while on the plane, and you don't need to carry it with you everyday), then this laptop is a *fantastic* deal.

https://www.microsoftstore.com.../productID.333475500

The reason this laptop is a fantastic deal is that it has a 15" 4K Screen AND a discrete NVidia GeForce GTX 960M graphics card. It is using last years 6th Generation i7 processor, instead of the new 7th generation that just came out.

I know you don't game, but that laptop has serious horsepower for the price. $729, currently on sale from the Microsoft store (original price is $1,099).

Also, this laptop is EASILY UPGRADEABLE. It comes equipped with an EMPTY ram slot and an EMPTY M.2 SSD slot. Here's an article on how to upgrade the computer with pictures of how easy it is to do.

http://www.windowscentral.com/...ell-inspiron-15-7559.

That said, $729 is decidedly a middle-priced laptop.

You can easily get functional laptops for $500 or less. The Dell Inspiron 15 i5559 is on sale for $450 at the microsoft store. You don't get the 4k screen, a slower processor, and no discrete graphics, but it's cheaper:

https://www.microsoftstore.com.../productID.333089700

Normally, I would recommend getting something with an SSD already installed...but SSD prices are dropping rapidly, and you can get a laptop with a solid CPU now and upgrade your SSD in a year or two to give your computer a "mid-life refresh."

Posts: 13046 | Location: Orange County, California | Registered: May 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shit don't
mean shit
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Aeteocles:
You really ought to get a new laptop.

So, according to the OP he needs the laptop to..." I basically use it to store pictures (backed up), Quicken Money, and light internet surfing."

I'm really not seeing why it's necessary to spend several hundred dollars for this simple requirement.

Wiping the HD and re-installing the OS will probably bring back 95% of the performance it once had.

I will admit a new battery would probably be a good idea as they seem to crap out after 3 or 4 years.

We all like new stuff, myself included. But I still think a new machine is a waste of money based on his requirements.

Posts: 5734 | Location: 7400 feet in Conifer CO | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Live long
and prosper
Picture of 0-0
posted Hide Post
My laptop is also a Vista class machine. It is old, there's no denying it. A Toshiba A135 w/3GB RAM that has gone through Vista, XP, 7 and more recently 10.
Have just downgraded to 7 Pro 32bits while replacing the drive with SSD.
It does show improvement.

If you nuke and pave go for lean and mean. Less is more, don't install stuff you won't use. Most of the stuff you need is already included in Windows and the manufacturer download page will be full of outdated packages that are mostly useless.

Doing a thorough cleaning is a good option, you can try it first instead of the total demolition.
Pick your flavor of OS wisely and be prepared to download and install a shitload of updates afterwards.
There are free utilitiesthat can clean up and remove the mess afterwards.

I do most of the stuff manually.

0-0

Posts: 12090 | Location: BsAs, Argentina | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Dead_Eye
posted Hide Post
Used Lenovo T420s

I have used T series Thinkpads before Lenovo bought out that division from IBM. I issue one of these to everyone in my sales team despite it being a few years old. It's fast, lightweight (you have to pick it up to truly appreciate how solid yet lightweight the magnesium frame is), built solid and gets the job done. I see $1,000+ computers all the time that offer no discernible increase in speed or functionality. I use it for email/office/web and regularly connect it to projectors and monitors and I've run two monitors plus the LCD all at once at max resolutions for all three without an issue. If you've survived with that computer for this long, this will be a major upgrade.

I also recommend Firefox with adblock and flashblock extensions.

Beware the man who has one gun because he probably knows how to use it.

Posts: 368 | Location: Somplace with cold drinks and warm women | Registered: May 04, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do No Harm,
Do Know Harm
posted Hide Post
0-0, I was thinking of you specifically when I started typing this thread, I'll send you an email.

I'd like to hold off for a couple of months before buying a replacement. I'm about to give David Truong a chunk of change Wink and I'm getting married in a month. A new computer is a couple of months out, unless this one straight croaks.

I have always ran minimal startup programs. I run ad blocker and such, and I do not keep a full anti-virus running in the background.

I certainly do appreciate the suggestions, and the education, and others do as well, I'm sure.

Knowing what one is talking about is widely admired but not strictly required here.

Although sometimes distracting, there is often a certain entertainment value to this easy standard.
-JALLEN

"All I need is a WAR ON DRUGS reference and I got myself a police thread BINGO." -jljones

Posts: 11446 | Location: NC | Registered: August 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
eh-TEE-oh-clez
Picture of Aeteocles
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by chongosuerte:
0-0, I was thinking of you specifically when I started typing this thread, I'll send you an email.

I'd like to hold off for a couple of months before buying a replacement. I'm about to give David Truong a chunk of change Wink and I'm getting married in a month. A new computer is a couple of months out, unless this one straight croaks.

I have always ran minimal startup programs. I run ad blocker and such, and I do not keep a full anti-virus running in the background.

I certainly do appreciate the suggestions, and the education, and others do as well, I'm sure.

No harm in backing up your files and reformatting your computer. I recommend doing it every year or so anyway to give your computer that fresh from the store feeling. It's like detailing your car when you get bored of it.

You can also stick a new 120 GB SSD in it and it'll run faster than it did when new. About $50 on Amazon.

Posts: 13046 | Location: Orange County, California | Registered: May 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Live long
and prosper
Picture of 0-0
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by chongosuerte:

Please send it to my @hotmail.com addy. Will gladly have a look see and do my best.

Fully agree with Aeteocles on the yearly refresh. The only thing I'm getting fed up with is that since each OS setup disk release, there are a few days worth of updating ahead of you until your machine is fully updated unless the latest SP is only a couple of months old.

0-0

Do No Harm,
Do Know Harm
posted Hide Post
http://www.woot.com/offers/hp-...ref=w_cnt_gw_dly_img

That's today's Woot deal...worth it? I'm completely ignorant to this, beyond what's been discussed in this thread.

It's got 2 things important to me: Decent screen size and a number keypad. I'd rather have a smaller SSD, from what I understand.

I've been following the suggestions (and 0-0's generous directions) in the last couple of days, but we realized the fiancée's laptop is just as old as mine, so we're probably going to get something. Turd polishing, if you will... Wink

Knowing what one is talking about is widely admired but not strictly required here.

Although sometimes distracting, there is often a certain entertainment value to this easy standard.
-JALLEN

"All I need is a WAR ON DRUGS reference and I got myself a police thread BINGO." -jljones

Posts: 11446 | Location: NC | Registered: August 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post