SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    4? year old laptop running sloooow...question p2
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

4? year old laptop running sloooow...question p2 Login/Join 
Don't Panic
Picture of joel9507
posted Hide Post
If Nicky (0-0) can't help you, nobody can! Smile

If all else fails, before whipping out a wallet and maybe getting shoehorned into Win-10 purgatory in the process, it might be worth backing up your data, and resetting the laptop back to factory condition. That is either using a restore function (if available on your machine) or reinstalling Windows and your programs, and using Windows Update. Getting rid of 4 years of bloatware and imperfectly uninstalled programs can work wonders.

If that gets you close to happy, I did look it up and your machine can accept up to 8GB of RAM - depending on cost doubling your RAM might be worth considering.

Now, if you want great performance running games, editing photos/videos, new hardware is admittedly whizzy but none of the improvements really are needed to get reasonable performance storing pictures, running Quicken, and browsing the web.

Posts: 15001 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: October 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do No Harm,
Do Know Harm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by joel9507:

If all else fails, before whipping out a wallet and maybe getting shoehorned into Win-10 purgatory in the process, it might be worth backing up your data, and resetting the laptop back to factory condition.

Getting rid of 4 years of bloatware and imperfectly uninstalled programs can work wonders. If that gets you close to happy, I did look it up and your machine can accept up to 8GB of RAM - depending on cost that might be worth considering.

Now, if you want great performance running games, editing photos/videos, new hardware is whizzy but none of the improvements really are needed to get reasonable performance storing pictures, running Quicken, and browsing the web.

That still may be the plan. Especially once you factor in having to buy Microsoft Office.

Knowing what one is talking about is widely admired but not strictly required here.

Although sometimes distracting, there is often a certain entertainment value to this easy standard.
-JALLEN

"All I need is a WAR ON DRUGS reference and I got myself a police thread BINGO." -jljones

Posts: 11446 | Location: NC | Registered: August 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by chongosuerte:
quote:
Originally posted by joel9507:

If all else fails, before whipping out a wallet and maybe getting shoehorned into Win-10 purgatory in the process, it might be worth backing up your data, and resetting the laptop back to factory condition.

Getting rid of 4 years of bloatware and imperfectly uninstalled programs can work wonders. If that gets you close to happy, I did look it up and your machine can accept up to 8GB of RAM - depending on cost that might be worth considering.

Now, if you want great performance running games, editing photos/videos, new hardware is whizzy but none of the improvements really are needed to get reasonable performance storing pictures, running Quicken, and browsing the web.

That still may be the plan. Especially once you factor in having to buy Microsoft Office.
There's a cost effect way around paying full price for MS Office, that still results in you having a fully licenced suite of programs. Let me know when you're ready to buy/install and I'll pass you the info.

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posting without pants
Picture of KevinCW
posted Hide Post
I like the specs except the processor. If you watch woot, you can get similar specs with a core i5 processor for 20 to 30 bucks more.

Strive to live your life so when you wake up in the morning and your feet hit the floor, the devil says "Oh crap, he's up."

Posts: 33287 | Location: St. Louis MO | Registered: February 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Live long
and prosper
Picture of 0-0
posted Hide Post
There are ways to dig the office key out from the entrails of the beast. Never tried it but will look it up.

0-0

"OP is a troll" - Flashlightboy, 12/18/20

Posts: 12090 | Location: BsAs, Argentina | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Look at the Office Depot weekly specials. There are ALWAYS good deals on Laptops. I buy a new laptop about every 3 years, and replace it while it's still running. I always go with HP and stick to the $300-400 laptop.....(by 3 years the battery holds half the charge it once did and fan is shot in them anyways). I leave my laptop on 24/7 and use it for hours everyday for both business and personal use.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Armed and Gregarious
Picture of DMF
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by chongosuerte:
Should I be looking for a new one? Or can I eek a couple of more years out of it...I'm thinking it's 4 years old. It could be older than that. I basically use it to store pictures (backed up), Quicken Money, and light internet surfing (none of those naughty sites):

Toshiba Satellite L505D
AMD TurionII Dual-Core Mobile M500 2.2GHz
4GB of RAM
64 bit
Windows 7
156GB of 287GB free

I have no idea what any of ^^that^^ means, for the most part Wink but I know the ones that do, would ask.

I've ran CCleaner and Spybot, I'm about to reboot and defrag. What should be my next steps?
RAM is cheap, so if you computer can take it upgrade your RAM and get 8GB or more, if possible.

If you're running a old spinning HD, you can get much faster performance by upgrading to a Solid State Drive (SSD), and prices on those have come way down.

Also, despite what some will say, upgrade to Windows 10. Hopefully that's still free.

"War is the remedy that our enemies have chosen, and I say let us give them all they want." - William Tecumseh Sherman

Posts: 12591 | Location: Nomad | Registered: January 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Live long
and prosper
Picture of 0-0
posted Hide Post
chongo, is your machine still running? Wink

Still some work to do, emailed you some thoughts. The iphone is hard on my eyes.

0-0

Posts: 12090 | Location: BsAs, Argentina | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do No Harm,
Do Know Harm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 0-0:
chongo, is your machine still running? Wink

Still some work to do, emailed you some thoughts. The iphone is hard on my eyes.

0-0

Yessir! I appreciate your assistance. I woke up to a 6 year old with the flu this morning, so I haven't had a chance to do much, but it's still running Big Grin

Knowing what one is talking about is widely admired but not strictly required here.

Although sometimes distracting, there is often a certain entertainment value to this easy standard.
-JALLEN

"All I need is a WAR ON DRUGS reference and I got myself a police thread BINGO." -jljones

Posts: 11446 | Location: NC | Registered: August 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Live long
and prosper
Picture of 0-0
posted Hide Post
Hope your kid gets well soon. Autumn is here and we're starting to feel the weather change.

Peeped at my own Toshiba startup and haven't kept a single original Toshiba utility when I nuked and paved. Just ran with W7 provided drivers, BUT I had already downloaded the drivers from Toshiba just in case and also ran a couple of those programs that verify your drivers and download more current ones. Still, the stuff is basically MS provided.

0-0