SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Do you wear / tie your bow ties?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Do you wear / tie your bow ties? Login/Join 
Live long
and prosper
Picture of 0-0
posted
Wondering how many of you gentlemen wear bow ties and if you tie them or prefer clipons.

Switched to bow ties back in 1990, during one of the last Panam Tours to Russia. I became friends with a gentleman from Texas and we were permanently sloshed. Eventually I asked about the secret of how to tie them and since I managed to tie it while heavily intoxicated I decided to make it a permanent personal touch.

I was the only odd guy wearing bow ties in this country until they came back in fashion.
Still, you can only find clip on and I don't dig them.
0-0

"OP is a troll" - Flashlightboy, 12/18/20

Posts: 12108 | Location: BsAs, Argentina | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Now in Florida
Picture of ChicagoSigMan
posted Hide Post
The only time I wear a bowtie is with a tuxedo, and clip-ons are forbidden unless you're a high-schooler going to prom. Instant revocation of man card.

Posts: 6063 | Location: FL | Registered: March 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Step by step walk the thousand mile road
Picture of Sig2340
posted Hide Post
Only when I wear a tuxedo.

Which is never.

Nice is overrated

"It's every freedom-loving individual's duty to lie to the government."
Airsoftguy, June 29, 2018

Posts: 31435 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
On the wrong side of
the Mobius strip
Picture of Patrick-SP2022
posted Hide Post
I don't wear ties in general and have not worn a bow tie since I was a child.

Charlie on the other hand, wears a bow tie regularly.

Posts: 4127 | Location: Texas | Registered: April 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of maladat
posted Hide Post
I wear bow ties with suits or sportcoats and slacks sometimes.

Real tie-it-yourself bowties only.

Posts: 6319 | Location: CA | Registered: January 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
I haven't worn one since the early 1960s, but when I did wear one, it was tie-it-yourself. I never owned a clip-on.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30659 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's not you,
it's me.
Picture of RAMIUS
posted Hide Post
In my daily business, I might run into a guy with a bow tie once a year on average.

He's automatically christened "Bow Tie Guy".

Posts: 7016 | Location: Right outside Philly | Registered: September 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
With white socks.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16086 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Caribou gorn
Picture of YellowJacket
posted Hide Post
I occasionally wear one... summer weddings, dress casual parties, and the like. I certainly tie my own.

I'm gonna vote for the funniest frog with the loudest croak on the highest log.

Posts: 10487 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Two occasions:

Tuxedo (my wedding 24 years ago)

While also wearing a propeller hat and red rubber nose (hasn't happened yet)

Posts: 8955 | Location: The Red part of Minnesota | Registered: October 06, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of dlc444
posted Hide Post
I have an even number of bow ties and long ties. Don't really have the occasion to wear either that often, but will go either way. I spent some formative years in Charleston, SC where bow ties are as normal as Sperry Boat shoes for formal and semi-formal events

-.---.----.. -.---.----.. -.---.----..
It seems to me that any law that is not enforced and can't be enforced weakens all other laws.

Posts: 4357 | Location: Tampa | Registered: August 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have a few and wear them occasionally. And of course I tie them; no clip-ons in my wardrobe.

Posts: 2693 | Registered: November 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Live long
and prosper
Picture of 0-0
posted Hide Post
I learned about the man card in this board. Think it is a splendid concept.
Has been really hard to find bow ties that you tie yourself and eventually I stopped wearing suits but for very special occasions.

When ive been offered clip on bow ties at stores I always made it clear that it was quite offensive and asked the person how would they feel about wearing clip on ties...

0-0

"OP is a troll" - Flashlightboy, 12/18/20

Posts: 12108 | Location: BsAs, Argentina | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Non-Miscreant
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dlc444:
but will go either way.

Dangerous words here on the forum. Or anywhere else, for that matter...

I don't wear ties these days. Only for special events that I avoid like the plague. I do have a bow tie, somewhere. They tie just like your shoes..sort of.

Last Sunday we went up to Waynesville, OH to a nice little restaurant. I think Charles Dickens ate there. That was back before he croaked. Our waitress was a fairly young black girl. Not that it matters much. She did a very good job. She was wearing a bow tie, so I asked her if she tied it herself. She said she, and very few others she knows can do it. She looked good in it.

I've come to expect others that wear them to be half wits. I'm giving them the benefit of the doubt. Just like other fashion statements, bow ties seem to make a statement. Its not a positive one, either.

Unhappy ammo seeker

Posts: 18388 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: February 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ice age heat wave,
cant complain.
Picture of MikeGLI
posted Hide Post
I wear them and I tie them.

I don't own clip on ties of any variety. On the few occasions where I feel like I should wear a tie, I sure as fuck don't wanna look like a goober.

NRA Life Member
Steak: Rare. Coffee: Black. Bourbon: Neat.

Posts: 9687 | Location: Orlando, Florida | Registered: July 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Don't wear bow ties, however the only clip on I have ever worn is a clip on long tie in my police uniform long sleeve shirt when required.
Always tie my own long tie.

James

We the unappreciated
must do the unimaginable
and see the unthinkable
to protect the ungrateful

Posts: 801 | Registered: March 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
posted Hide Post
I have a few bow ties that I wear once in a great while with a tux. I have a lot more long ties that I wear once in a while at coat and tie events. All of those are tie ‘em yourself versions. The full Windsor is pretty much automatic on the long ties after working in London and wearing a tie five days a week for a year and a half. The bow ties always require pulling out the cheat sheets and puzzling through it though. Wink

Posts: 6918 | Location: Lost, but making time. | Registered: February 23, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Husband, Father, Aggie,
all around good guy!
Picture of HK Ag
posted Hide Post
I have one for my tuxedo,but that is the only one.

HK Ag

Posts: 3499 | Location: Tomball, Texas | Registered: August 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of maladat
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rburg:
Just like other fashion statements, bow ties seem to make a statement. Its not a positive one, either.

I had an English teacher/cross country coach in high school who almost always wore bow ties.

The joke about English teachers and literary analysis is that they think anything and everything is a phallic symbol.

When questioned about the bow ties, he would play along with the joke and in a humerous way explain that neckties were obviously phallic symbols and that he preferred to emphasize his ears.

Posts: 6319 | Location: CA | Registered: January 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
SAC trained killer
Picture of Ricardokid11
posted Hide Post
I have a nice collection of bow ties ( 25 ) and wear them regularly. All hand tied. Smile

" May I always be the kind of person my dog thinks I am".

Posts: 2083 | Location: Glen Allen, VA. | Registered: July 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post