SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Whataburger sold..... Bummer!
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Whataburger sold..... Bummer! Login/Join 
Dances With
Tornados
posted
I really like Whataburger. Mighty fine burger at a great price.

The Dobson family in Texas has sold out to a Chicago investment firm. I hope I’m wrong but I’m afraid they will cut the quality in order to suck out all the money by cutting costs in many ways. This sucks.

Link to story

Fast-food chain Whataburger — beloved by generations of Texans — is now the property of a Chicago investment firm.

BDT Capital Partners has agreed to acquire a majority stake in San Antonio-based Whataburger, the companies announced Friday.

Financial terms of the deal were not released.

Whataburger will continue to be headquartered in San Antonio, and the groups will “begin exploring expansion plans,” according to a statement.

Whataburger’s founders, the Dobson family, will keep a minority ownership position in the company. President and CEO Preston Atkinson and board chairman Tom Dobson will keep their seats on the board, but will retire from daily operations.

The decision to sell the company “is both exciting and bittersweet” for the family, Tom Dobson said.

“Whataburger has been the heart and soul of our family legacy for nearly 70 years, but we feel really good about the partnership with BDT,” he said. “They have a track record of success with businesses as special as ours that want to grow, while preserving culture and family history. They are trusted advisors and partners who have worked closely with other family businesses and they have a tremendous reputation for doing the right thing.”

Ed Nelson, Whataburger’s chief financial officer and controller, will become the company’s president. Several other company executives are also being promoted.

Whatburger was founded by entrepreneur Harmon Dobson in 1950. According to the company’s website, Dobson had one goal in mind: “to serve a burger so big that it took two hands to hold, and so good that after a single bite customers couldn’t help but exclaim, ‘What a burger!’ He named his humble burger stand, located on Ayers Street in Corpus Christi, ‘Whataburger.’ ”

Today, Whataburger has more than 820 locations, with more than 670 of those in Texas. Whataburger’s other locations are in the South and Southwest, including Alabama, Arizona, Arkansas, Florida, Georgia, Louisiana, Mississippi, New Mexico and Oklahoma. The company has more than 43,000 employees and has more than $2 billion in annual revenue, according to a company news release.

“Whataburger is an iconic brand and extraordinary company with an important legacy of family ownership, loyal customers, valuable community involvement, dedicated and talented employees, and a highly experienced management team,” Tiffany Hagge, managing director of BDT Capital Partners, said in a written statement. “We look forward to a long-term partnership with the Whataburger team, continuing their commitment to serving high-quality, great-tasting food at a value and delivering a superior customer experience. We are excited to support Whataburger as they continue to innovate and pursue accelerated growth in existing and new markets.”

The sale was not unexpected. Whataburger said last month that it had hired investment banking firm Morgan Stanley to help the company figure out how best to fuel its expansion.

(Story continued below...)
“Whataburger has grown significantly over the years. And, in order to keep satisfying our customers, we’ve been exploring different options to expand the brand and introduce it to new audiences,” Atkinson said. “We’ve gone through this process purposefully and diligently because we wanted to find a partner who honors our values, culture and 69-year legacy of family tradition.”

Richard Perez, CEO of the San Antonio Chamber of Commerce, said Whataburger has long been a strong corporate citizen in San Antonio and throughout Texas.

“Whataburger has been extremely involved in the San Antonio community, and also involved in various boards and of course they have given extensively to community organizations,” he said. “They’re always everywhere.”

BDT Capital Partners’ plans for expanding the chain will likely create more jobs in San Antonio and also more opportunity give back to the community, Perez said.

“This allows them to expand the footprint, not only restaurants but also in their retail space,” he said. “This will allow them to go to another level, and the fact that they’re staying in Texas bodes very well for us.”

Additional material from the San Antonio Express-Ne

Posts: 11837 | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
Bad news, most likely.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53121 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
What is the
soup du jour?

posted Hide Post
There’s really only one way this goes. Down. Whataburger will be just another Burger King in a few years.

Posts: 2008 | Location: TX | Registered: October 28, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
Not sure why some folks like Whataburger. Sure, nice that they're home state brand, but that's about it. Their burgers have always been nasty to me. Always the same, at different locations, the meat is dry.

Q

Posts: 26339 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Truth Seeker
Picture of StorminNormin
posted Hide Post
I like Whataburger and am sad to hear they sold out.

NRA Benefactor Life Member

Posts: 8668 | Location: The Lone Star State | Registered: July 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Space Nerd
Picture of Hound Dog
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jhe888:
Bad news, most likely.

I don't know. I don't know when this has ever happened, but EVENTUALLY, somebody who buys out a beloved franchise like this will realize that they shouldn't muck with what works and destroy the brand in an attempt to cut corners and save money.

I LOVE Whataburger. Sure, it's not Ruths Chris or Fleming's, but I like their food. I just hope they keep things as they are while hopefully expanding the chain up North to us poor Yankees.

Fear God and Dread Nought
Admiral of the Fleet Sir Jacky Fisher

Posts: 21838 | Location: Hobbiton, The Shire, Middle Earth | Registered: September 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wingspar
posted Hide Post
Never heard of Whataburger.

---------------
Gary
Will Fly for Food... and more Ammo
Mosquito Lubrication Video

If Guns Cause Crime, Mine Are Defective.... Ted Nugent

Posts: 2505 | Location: Oregon | Registered: January 15, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
At Jacob's Well
Picture of jaaron11
posted Hide Post
Bummer. Whataburger is my second favorite fast food burger behind only In-N-Out (which I can't get here anyway). Hopefully the new owners will realize that the recipe for success doesn't need any new ingredients.

J

Rak Chazak Amats

Posts: 5281 | Location: SW Missouri | Registered: May 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Texas Proud
Picture of texassierra
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 12131:
Not sure why some folks like Whataburger. Sure, nice that they're home state brand, but that's about it. Their burgers have always been nasty to me. Always the same, at different locations, the meat is dry.

Probably 30 years ago the burgers were cooked fresh and they were steaming with melting cheese when they came out. Somewhere along the way they began pre-cooking their meat and holding it in a warmer. Result...dry, grey, luke warm meat. If I do eat at WB I tend to get the patty melt which must come out hot to be done right.

NRA Life Patron

Posts: 1905 | Location: DFW | Registered: March 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
Is this the place that makes their own ketchup, dark, spicy and pretty good? I recall eating at one in Mississippi but that’s all I remember about them.

Posts: 33757 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sorry it finally happened. I remember eating them when we went to town (McAllen) about 65 years ago. It is still one of my favorites.

I hope they don't suffer the same fate as so many popular places that only become "an asset" to some big holding company.

armadill0

Posts: 35 | Location: San Antonio | Registered: April 01, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post
Well that's probably gonna suck in the long run. I don't eat fast food that often, but when the hankerin' hits me, it's usually Whataburger.

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 11066 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
I buy their sausage biscuits and cinnamon rolls.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jhe888:
Bad news, most likely.

Your CUT is fantastic.

Posts: 10908 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alea iacta est
Picture of Beancooker
posted Hide Post
quote:

My experiences at Whataburger have always been the opposite. Fantastic burger every time I have been. Never dry or nasty. It’s by far my favorite burger place.

quote:
Originally posted by parabellum: You must have your pants custom tailored to fit your massive balls.
The “lol” thread

Posts: 4025 | Location: Staring down at you with disdain, from the spooky mountaintop castle.  | Registered: November 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Never Go
Full Retard
Picture of MitchbSC
posted Hide Post
Watch it get raped like Ellett Brothers.

link

They don't think it be like it is, but it do.

Posts: 4797 | Location: SC | Registered: January 27, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
sick puppy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wingspar:
Never heard of Whataburger.

must've never spoken to a Texan. I think it's one of those things they're legally required to talk about. Big Grin

Seriously, though: I"ve never had whataburger, but I hope it doesn't end up dropping the quality. most every Texan I've talked to seems to like it. Would be a shame to try to fuel expansion and end up fucking up the brand... but that seems to be the typical norm.

Posts: 7546 | Location: Alpine, Ut | Registered: February 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
St. Vitus
Dance Instructor
Picture of blueye
posted Hide Post
Investment firm = bean counters = shit product.

Posts: 5300 | Location: basement | Registered: April 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CQB60
posted Hide Post
1st rule of acquisition: “How do we make it more efficient”? = Reduction in product quality.
2nd rule of acquisition: “How do we improve our margins”? = Reduction in product quality
3rd rule of acquisition: “How do we quickly recoup our investment”? = Reduction in product quality

Posts: 13806 | Location: VIrtual | Registered: November 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:

Their burgers have always been nasty . . . the meat is dry.
Overcooked?

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30641 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post