SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Walmart Private Label Wine
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Walmart Private Label Wine Login/Join 
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
My favorites from France have been $5-10/bottle, relatively unknown, and delicious.

*Tons* of good wines under $100. I can't imagine ever spending more than that again. I don't regret the $40-150+ bottles I've had, but I see no need to repeat the ones north of $50 again, at least not if there's a Trader Joe's around or if I can travel and bring some back.

Most of the time I'm perfectly satisfied with several choices that retail for $20 or less.

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Waiting for Hachiko
Picture of Sunset_Va
posted Hide Post
Many years ago, used to try wines from this region:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Valpolicella

Nowdays, Perhaps consume 1 bottle a year.

美しい犬

Posts: 6673 | Location: Near the Metropolis of Tightsqueeze, Va | Registered: February 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do the next
right thing
Picture of bobtheelf
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by blueye:
If it's a screw top i am in. Big Grin

Speaking with a few vintners and sommeliers, they actually speak highly of screw tops. There are a few advantages over cork for sealing wine. They don't use them much because the public expectation is for a cork; not because a cork is actually better.

Posts: 3659 | Location: Nashville | Registered: July 23, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of dsiets
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bobtheelf:
quote:
Originally posted by blueye:
If it's a screw top i am in. Big Grin

Speaking with a few vintners and sommeliers, they actually speak highly of screw tops. There are a few advantages over cork for sealing wine. They don't use them much because the public expectation is for a cork; not because a cork is actually better.

Corks can go dry out or go bad. I guess screw tops are pretty reliable.

Posts: 7349 | Location: MI | Registered: May 22, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cne32507
posted Hide Post
The best wine experience may wife and I have ever had was the table wine at a little fondue cafe in Chamonix. They just put red & white carafes on the table: no extra charge. Delicious!

Posts: 2520 | Location: High Sierra & Low Desert | Registered: February 03, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stop Talking, Start Doing
posted Hide Post
Ha that’s a good one!

Posts: 5071 | Location: The (R)ight side of Washington State | Registered: August 31, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We vacation at a vineyard in upper Michigan every year. The owner of that vineyard who we became friends with over the years, told me a few years ago that no wine should sell for more than five dollars a bottle. Anything above that is greed.

Posts: 5742 | Location: Chicago | Registered: August 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bulldog7972:
We vacation at a vineyard in upper Michigan every year. The owner of that vineyard who we became friends with over the years, told me a few years ago that no wine should sell for more than five dollars a bottle. Anything above that is greed.

my wife and I spent the weekend in Virginia's 'wine country' on our 20th anniversary.
one the way home Sunday, we stopped at opening time at a small winery up in the middle of no where,

literal paved road, to gravel, to dirt in a hollow in the mountains ,

Delfosse winery,
at that time , the tasting room was a small chestnut log cabin, tasting was done on the porch,

we arrived at 11, right when they opened

we did not know at the time, but the winery owner's wife was the lady sweeping the floor, and scowling at us, the owner gave us the tasting,

for whatever reason, he took a shine to us and gave us not only a tasting of all his product, but a very good history lesson of his wine, wine in general, and how to taste,

he was French (he passed a few years ago) and a hell of a guy,

he got kicked out a few of the local distributors because he would sell the the distributor for grocery stores (I was a manager at a grocery store) and then drive to other smaller shops and sell out of his car,,,cutting prices lower than the distributor,,

they did a fantastic merlot, and Cab Franc

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10417 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post