SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Walmart Private Label Wine
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Walmart Private Label Wine Login/Join 
Eschew Obfuscation
posted
Walmart will soon begin offering customers a new item - Wal-Mart's own brand of wine. The world's largest retail chain is teaming up with Ernest & Julio Gallo Winery of California to produce the spirits at an affordable price, in the $2 - $5 range.

Wine connoisseurs may not be inclined to put a bottle of Walmart brand into their shopping carts, but "there is a definitely market for inexpensive wine," said Kathy Micken, professor of marketing at the University of Arkansas.

"But the right name is important." Customers were surveyed in order to determine a good, but logical, name for the proposed Walmart brand of wine.

The top names in order of popularity were:

10. Chateau Traileur Parc
9. White Trashfindel
8. Big Red Gulp
7. World Championship Riesling
6. NASCARbernet
5. Chef Boyardeaux
4. Peanut Noir
3. I Can't Believe it's not Vinegar
2. Grape Expectations
1. Nasti Spumante

The beauty of Walmart wine is that it can be served with either white meat (Possum) or red meat (Squirrel).

“Civilization is not inherited; it has to be learned and earned by each generation anew; if the transmission should be interrupted for one century, civilization would die, and we should be savages again." - Will Durant

Posts: 6395 | Location: Chicago, IL | Registered: December 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
LOLOLOL

That's so funny I'm stealing to repost on another forum! :-D

Remember, this is all supposed to be for fun...................

Posts: 4123 | Registered: April 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Telecom Ronin
Picture of dewhorse
posted Hide Post
Mad cow .98/.98

Posts: 8301 | Location: Back in NE TX ....to stay | Registered: February 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
I thought Mad Dog and Ripple were the house wine of wall mart.

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

"If dogs don't go to Heaven, I want to go where they go" Will Rogers

Posts: 14036 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
Very good. Shared.

Posts: 26894 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
I shudder and laugh at the thought, but Two Buck Chuck (Charles Shaw, now north of $3) proved years ago that a super cheap wine can sell very well. I bet they could do it.. Smile

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Double-blind taste testing revealed little if any difference between economy brand wines and the finest vintages.

Posts: 17139 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Avoiding
slam fires
Picture of 45 Cal
posted Hide Post
Big Grin
That is great!

Posts: 22409 | Location: Georgia | Registered: February 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fredward:
Double-blind taste testing revealed little if any difference between economy brand wines and the finest vintages.

I find that difficult to believe.

I'm no wine connoisseur, by any stretch of the imagination, but I was briefly "into wine" a number of years ago. Could I tell the difference between a run-of-the-mill fine wine and a several-hundred-dollars-a-bottle fine wine? Perhaps not. But I can usually tell the difference between cheap wine, common "table" wine and finer wines.

Just like I can tell the difference between common supermarket brand ground coffee and freshly-ground whole-bean estate coffees, well whisky and single-malt Scotch, or common American mass-produced "beer" and a good craft beer.

I cannot, however, tell the difference between three-dollar-a-bottle bottled water and our own well water filtered through a Brita filter Smile

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
St. Vitus
Dance Instructor
Picture of blueye
posted Hide Post
If it's a screw top i am in. Big Grin

Posts: 5300 | Location: basement | Registered: April 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
Wine in the US is absurdly expensive. $5 to $8 should actually be the norm for a decent bottle of wine with $8 to $12 actually being considered expensive.

Full disclosure though, my wife and I go through two to three bottles of wine per week. But y'all need to remember that my wife is French.

And there's absolutely nothing wrong with a screw top wine. In fact, they're starting to become a lot more popular even with very high end makers.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30401 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fredward:

That's because the average American is clueless when it comes to wine.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30401 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Knows too little
about too much
Picture of rduckwor
posted Hide Post
Stolified!!!

RMD

TL Davis: “The Second Amendment is special, not because it protects guns, but because its violation signals a government with the intention to oppress its people…”
Remember: After the first one, the rest are free.

Posts: 20319 | Location: L.A. - Lower Alabama | Registered: April 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of DrDan
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CoolRich59:
Walmart will soon begin offering customers a new item - Wal-Mart's own brand of wine. The world's largest retail chain is teaming up with Ernest & Julio Gallo Winery of California to produce the spirits at an affordable price, in the $2 - $5 range.

You are closer to the truth than you may know.

Oak Leaf Vineyards is an under $5 range of wines produced in Ripon, California. These wines, an offshoot of Gallo brands, gained popularity for their value when sold at Walmart stores and have had continued success at other large supermarkets such as Safeway. They also won “Double Gold” at the 2011 Florida State Wine Fair Competition as well as medals at the 2011 San Francisco Chronicle Wine Competition. In addition to the usual single varietals such as Sauvignon Blanc, Pinot Grigio, Chardonnay, White Zinfandel and Cabernet, they are also available in blends such as Sweet Red and Sweet White.

Link.

This space intentionally left blank.

Posts: 4876 | Location: Florida | Registered: August 16, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Plowing straight ahead come what may
Picture of Bisleyblackhawk
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DrDan:
quote:
Originally posted by CoolRich59:

You are closer to the truth than you may know.

Oak Leaf Vineyards is an under $5 range of wines produced in Ripon, California. These wines, an offshoot of Gallo brands, gained popularity for their value when sold at Walmart stores and have had continued success at other large supermarkets such as Safeway. They also won “Double Gold” at the 2011 Florida State Wine Fair Competition as well as medals at the 2011 San Francisco Chronicle Wine Competition. In addition to the usual single varietals such as Sauvignon Blanc, Pinot Grigio, Chardonnay, White Zinfandel and Cabernet, they are also available in blends such as Sweet Red and Sweet White.

Link.

The Oak Leaf Shiraz is really quite good...way better than what you would think a $3 bottle of wine should be.

"we've gotta roll with the punches, learn to play all of our hunches
Making the best of what ever comes our way
Forget that blind ambition and learn to trust your intuition
Plowing straight ahead come what may
And theres a cowboy in the jungle"
Jimmy Buffet

Posts: 10584 | Location: Southeast Tennessee...not far above my homestate Georgia | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I lived in Italy for 2 years. Lots of vino was consumed, much of it home made. Never could acquire a taste for it.
So its Nasti Spumate for me!

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16070 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
it's all about the juice,

'cheap' store brand wine (Baybridge for Kroger, now 3$ chuck for trader joes,) is commodity bought,

with good wine production years, some of the big name houses will release extra juice to the masses, since if they use all the juice, they will make too much of the high end wines and 'dilute' the panache of a $40 bottle ,

so that Coppola, Stags Leap etc etc will be sold off or blended into some other label wine

supposedly (came from a wine vendor, I used to be in the grocery business) some of the bigger houses sold off a bunch of juice and it went into $$ chuck wine,

gave it a great value, great taste, and it is a different wine every year
and since price point sets what some buy as well as perception, and since it is likely no one will ever do a vertical tasting of 2$ chuck, no one will likely ever notice if the juice came from else where and tastes not as good

ditto some of the 'no name' or 'gypsy' branded blends that come out every year or so then disappear,
a big house may release some extra really good juice as a blend, bottle a pallet or 10 under a different name, and it goes away after it is all sold,

it's also a bit of a regional thing,,

and there is still a lot of crap wine out there as well

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10417 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That rug really tied
the room together.
Picture of bubbatime
posted Hide Post
My mother in law and father in law like to entertain at their house and go through several bottles of wine per week. They found out that Aldi sells a house brand wine for $3 per bottle. They conducted a blind taste test with friends, and the $3 bottle beat out $15 and $25 bottles of wine that they normally serve.

Posts: 6660 | Location: Floriduh | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Corgis Rock
Picture of Icabod
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by blueye:
If it's a screw top i am in. Big Grin

"Would monsieur like to sniff the bottle cap?"

Back in the 1980s there were ads for the "Heinie Winnery." It was the only wine sold in flip-top cans. They would help you start your own distributorship by supplying you with two cases of wine and a bicycle so you could peddle your Heinie around town. The had swizzle sticks that you could write your name on so when you put them in you Heinie, nobody would grab your Heinie by mistake.
The resurgence on canned wine seem imminent.

“ The work of destruction is quick, easy and exhilarating; the work of creation is slow, laborious and dull.

Posts: 6060 | Location: Outside Seattle | Registered: November 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glorious SPAM!
Picture of mbinky
posted Hide Post
Not really a wine connoisseur, but every now and again I like to relax with a frosty mug of Arbor Mist.

Posts: 10635 | Registered: June 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post