SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Gym teacher tackles gun man in Illinois school
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Gym teacher tackles gun man in Illinois school Login/Join 
posted
http://www.chicagotribune.com/...-20170921-story.html

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54626 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sgalczyn
posted Hide Post
Ummmmmmm.....three months ago- story is from Sept 20??

"No matter where you go - there you are"

Posts: 4576 | Location: Eastern PA-Berks/Lehigh Valley | Registered: January 03, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sgalczyn:
Ummmmmmm.....three months ago- story is from Sept 20??

Time is bendable.

Posts: 10932 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Conveniently located directly
above the center of the Earth
Picture of signewt
posted Hide Post
quote:
Time is bendable.

....either that or 'it was a long fall'....*kaff*kaff*

**************~~~~~~~~~~
"I've been on this rock too long to bother with these liars any more."
~SIGforum advisor~
"When the pain of staying the same outweighs the pain of change, then change will come."~~sigmonkey

Posts: 9854 | Location: sunny Orygun | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Three months later and NO LINK AT ALL the any story on the shooter, motive, or potential Court Actions. Journalism today isn't even a shadow what it once was. As for the Chicago Tribune, stick a fork in it and heave it into the trash because it's DONE.

I've stopped counting.

Posts: 5646 | Location: Michigan | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Corgis Rock
Picture of Icabod
posted Hide Post
Here's the update:

http://www.chicagotribune.com/...-20171130-story.html

“ The work of destruction is quick, easy and exhilarating; the work of creation is slow, laborious and dull.

Posts: 6060 | Location: Outside Seattle | Registered: November 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Corgis Rock
Picture of Icabod
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Icabod:
Here's the update:

"When a longtime Mattoon High School teacher saw a student raise a gun in the crowded cafeteria, she said that one thought came to mind: “You’re not going to do this to my kids.”

Angela McQueen, a math and physical education teacher at the school for 17 years, rushed over and subdued the student, she said in recounting the chain of events that took place on Sept. 20.

“I sprang into action because I looked over and I saw a student pull a gun out and he was aiming it at students to his right,” she said in a video released Thursday by the Illinois Education Association. “I immediately lunged at the gun and I got the gun up in the air as quick as I could, as fast as I could because I didn’t want him to hit the students.”

The boy fired shots as McQueen tried to disarm him, she said.

One student suffered a gunshot wound and another had minor injuries suffered while leaving the building, said Bridget Shanahan, spokeswoman for the Illinois Education Association.

Both students have returned to school, and the shooting suspect is currently detained, she said. The suspect has been charged with one count of aggravated battery with a firearm, the association said in a news release.

Shanahan declined to release further details about the suspect. The Coles County state’s attorney could not be immediately reached.

McQueen, 40, said her instincts kicked in when she saw the student raising the gun.

“In that moment, you don’t really think. You just react. To me, it’s almost like the mama bear instinct. I don’t have kids of my own right now, but it’s the instinct of, ‘You’re not going to do this to my kids,’” McQueen said. “These are still my kids — even though I don’t know every single kid in there.”

She was honored by city, school district and law enforcement officials on Thursday at a school reception.

To the local leaders, her actions were a stunning act of heroism in the usually quiet school of 1,000 students about 180 miles south of Chicago.

“We are forever grateful to Angela for her courageous actions that saved the lives of our kids. She was a ray of light in our darkest hour,” Superintendent Larry Lilly said in the release.

Mattoon police Chief Jeff Branson had praised McQueen’s quick response at a news conference after the shooting.

“Had the teacher not responded as quickly as she had, I think the situation would have been a lot different,” he said."

http://www.chicagotribune.com/...-20171130-story.html

“ The work of destruction is quick, easy and exhilarating; the work of creation is slow, laborious and dull.

Posts: 6060 | Location: Outside Seattle | Registered: November 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post