SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    First lady Melania Trump marks first year with grace and dignity
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

First lady Melania Trump marks first year with grace and dignity Login/Join 
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted
Melania Trump, who on Saturday marks the end of her first year as first lady, has conducted herself with grace and dignity. She’s had to navigate an onslaught of detractors and a hostile media that follow her every move, looking for any opportunity to undermine her efforts and diminish her position.

The first lady carries herself with an understated elegance and, known for her privacy, she’s measured in her words and actions. Since she chooses to stay below the radar most of the time she doesn’t give her critics much material to work with.

But have no fear, they’ll resort to schoolyard antics. We saw a lot of that this year.

It didn’t take long after the election results were in for a barrage of designers to begin announcing they would refuse to dress the first lady. Among them, Sophie Theallet, who said: “As one who celebrates and strives for diversity, individual freedom, and respect for all lifestyles, I will not participate in dressing or associating in any way with the next First Lady.”

Liberals never seem to get the irony of demanding diversity, freedom and respect while refusing to give the same things in return. The street has two lanes, but they think they own both.

Then there was stiletto-gate, an absurd debate about the first lady’s choice of shoes. Otherwise known as much ado about nothing.

Mrs. Trump became front-page news and lit up Twitter when she left the White House wearing high heels to get on Air Force One to go to Texas with President Trump to assess damage from Hurricane Harvey. Never mind that when the plane landed she walked off wearing sneakers.

The vultures saw their window of opportunity to attack and went for it. In a world where major newsworthy events are happening every day, news outlets picked the first lady’s shoes as the big event worth highlighting.

Mrs. Trump has also been criticized for her anti-cyberbullying campaign because her critics think it’s at odds with the president’s Twitter habits. The first lady has said of her initiative: “It is never OK when a 12-year-old girl or boy is mocked, bullied or attacked. It is terrible when that happens on the playground and it is absolutely unacceptable when it’s done by someone with no name hiding on the internet.”

The first lady is her own person, and no matter your opinion of the president’s tweets, those on the other end of them are not children.

Entertainer Chelsea Handler, always good for a hysterical tirade, also went after the first lady, accusing her of not being able to speak English. Newsflash to Handler: Mrs. Trump speaks five languages.

The only language Handler speaks is the feminist fiction that she and her liberal Hollywood friends unleash on anyone who disagrees with them. Her attempt at trying to make Mrs. Trump sound unintelligent missed its target, but ricocheted back and found a new one. Perhaps Handler could learn a few things about grace from the first lady.

Melania Trump’s critics also took the opportunity to use this year’s White House Christmas decorations to bash her, something somewhat unprecedented. Phrases like “house of horrors” were used to describe the decor. The New Yorker referred to Mrs. Trump as a “wicked queen,” and she was repeatedly criticized for wearing a coat while decorating the Christmas tree.

There are some 12,000 ornaments, more than 1,000 feet of garland and 53 Christmas trees, including the 18-and-a-half foot tall White House Christmas tree.

One hallway in the White House was decorated in all white and lined with trees. The first lady’s detractors compared it to “The Nightmare Before Christmas,” “The Blair Witch Project,” and “The Shining.” She was even criticized at one point during the White House Christmas festivities because she was caught interacting with predominantly African-American children.

The Trump administration is supposed to be racist, so Mrs. Trump’s haters needed to change that narrative. Their answer: accuse her of staging the encounter.

Mrs. Trump’s first year as our country’s first lady has been a success. She’s kept her composure despite unprecedented attacks against her husband, her son, and herself by a media intent on making news instead of reporting it.

Through it all she’s kept a low profile while holding her head high. All the intolerant women on the left could learn a lot from Melania about dignity and respect if they stopped talking long enough to listen.

Link

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ridewv
posted Hide Post
I can't recall a better First Lady,and my God what an improvement over the last one.

No car is as much fun to drive, as any motorcycle is to ride.

Posts: 7039 | Location: Northern WV | Registered: January 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I liked Laura.

Posts: 958 | Registered: October 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Spokane228:
I liked Laura.

So do I, bigly.

Their similarities are different.

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Even if the First Lady had done nothing in the past year, she still would be infinitely better in that position than the angry, racist, America-hating TRASH that is Michelle Obama.

Posts: 107254 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SIG 229R
posted Hide Post
The classiest First Lady since Mrs. Reagen.

You have to admire her for her knowledge of five languages if nothing else.

There is a Female singer that I really love to hear but, some people I know say they can’t stand her but I admire her for being able to sing in six languages. A great majority of people in this country can only speak one.

However our current First Lady has abundantly more qualities than just that.

SigP229R
Harry Callahan "A man has got to know his limitations".
Teddy Roosevelt "Talk soft carry a big stick"
I Cor10: 13 "1611KJV"

Posts: 6066 | Registered: March 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I liked Laura Bush as well. Not only has Melania done well with the "press", she is easy on the eyes doing so.

Posts: 6840 | Location: Treasure Coast,Fl. | Registered: July 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of kent j
posted Hide Post
When Trump was sworn in my wife and I both commented on how she brought dignity and class back to the White House. She has done nothing to disappoint. So much better than that cow who was in there before.

Regards, Kent j

You can learn something from everyone you meet, If nothing else you can learn you don't want to be like them
It's only racist to those who want it to be.
It's a magazine, clips are for potato chips and hair

Posts: 294 | Location: Southern Indiana | Registered: December 11, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
Even if the First Lady had done nothing in the past year, she still would be infinitely better in that position than the angry, racist, America-hating TRASH that is Michelle Obama.

Or Bill Clinton..... Razz

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 11052 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
Remember reading all those fashionistas who lined up to announce they would have no part in dressing Mrs. Trump?

How’s that working out?

Pretty well, I’d say. They look like those art critics who gushed all over each other praising the paintings by an obscure painter who turned out to be a chimpanzee.

Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
God bless the President and First Lady.

Posts: 26852 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Melania is certainly a great representative for the United States as a First Lady-classy, intelligent, loyal and beautiful.

Laura was, IMO, sorta like that "girl next door" (whose parents would never allow her to date me, but that's another story).

Our last one was an embarrassment, IMO, and I am quite happy she is gone (though I might have preferred her to Bill-don't know for sure and now will never know).

Posts: 1558 | Location: TampaBay | Registered: May 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
wishing we
were congress
posted Hide Post
Way back in Nov 2016, I was a bit worried about how Melania Trump would do as first lady. Especially when at first she stayed in NYC.

Political life in the big fish bowl w a vicious cheap shot media attacking every day would be a challenge.

but she has come through w extreme dignity and class and is a real help to President Trump. When they appear together, she softens his image and always seems to have it together.

Posts: 19502 | Registered: July 21, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JALLEN:
Remember reading all those fashionistas who lined up to announce they would have no part in dressing Mrs. Trump?

How’s that working out?

Pretty well, I’d say. They look like those art critics who gushed all over each other praising the paintings by an obscure painter who turned out to be a chimpanzee.

yeah, we really dodged a bullet with that one - they did so well with Moo-Shell

[B] Against ALL enemies, foreign and DOMESTIC

Posts: 53085 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My dog crosses the line
Picture of Jeff Yarchin
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Spokane228:
I liked Laura.

and Barbara.

Posts: 12915 | Registered: June 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Our First Lady is first class all the way. She can balance out our Pres. in some situations with other "big wigs". Always a lady.....we could have done so much worse!!

Posts: 6600 | Location: Az | Registered: May 27, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Someone to be proud of as a First Lady.

And I'm thankful she made the sacrifices and shared Donald Trump with us. The impact on her Family is immense and she has stepped up to the challenges admirably.

The butcher with the sharpest knife has the warmest heart.

Posts: 13386 | Location: Bottom of Lake Washington | Registered: March 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Tuckerrnr1
posted Hide Post
I would hold the door or give up by seat with pride for this first lady

Posts: 5720 | Location: Florida | Registered: March 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post