SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Galveston officers on horseback seen leading handcuffed man with rope
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Galveston officers on horseback seen leading handcuffed man with rope Login/Join 
Too old to run,
too mean to quit!
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 12131:
quote:
Originally posted by GA Gator:
What if this were one of your sons or grandsons who was going to be arrested for something as trivial as trespassing and they lashed him to a horse and drug him of to jail.

I would say they deserved it.

YUP!

Elk

There has never been an occasion where a people gave up their weapons in the interest of peace that didn't end in their massacre. (Louis L'Amour)

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical. "
-Thomas Jefferson

"America is great because she is good. If America ceases to be good, America will cease to be great." Alexis de Tocqueville

FBHO!!!

The Idaho Elk Hunter

Posts: 25642 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 16, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of HayesGreener
posted Hide Post
Texas lawmen on horseback have been leading criminals around with ropes for a couple hundred years. So what's the big deal?

CMSGT USAF (Retired)
Chief of Police (Retired)

Posts: 4358 | Location: Florida Panhandle | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Sailor1911
posted Hide Post
Hey, it wasn't at a gallop! That's the way I've always seen it in the westerns!

Place your clothes and weapons where you can find them in the dark.

“If in winning a race, you lose the respect of your fellow competitors, then you have won nothing” - Paul Elvstrom "The Great Dane" 1928 - 2016

Posts: 3762 | Location: Wichita, Kansas | Registered: March 27, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Page late and a dollar short
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pessimist:
quote:
Originally posted by Fed161:
All I can say is that this should surprise no one. Yeah I get tired of the optics argument too. Do I have sympathy for the guy. No. My sympathy is with the cops who have to put up with this nonsense. But pick your battles. How much trouble would it be to put him in the back of a patrol car?

I basically agree. Poor judgement. What they did is rarely seen so it's going to attract attention. That may be exactly what they were looking for. What's the point of police on horseback in populated areas that are accessible by typical patrol vehicles? Ridiculous. They don't do themselves many favors.

Visibility of the officers during patrol and visibility for the officers while on patrol. And has it not been pointed out in the past that getting officers out of cars and putting them on horses, on foot and on motorcycles breaks down some perceived barriers between police and citizens?

So we have several different scenarios for prisoner movement and control of the horses, all of them not allowing full control of either.

-------------------------------------——————
————————--Ignorance is a powerful tool if applied at the right time, even, usually, surpassing knowledge(E.J.Potter, A.K.A. The Michigan Madman)

Posts: 8099 | Location: Livingston County Michigan USA | Registered: August 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
And how many of you have been in handcuffs in the back of a patrol car? I'd rather walk with a rope attached and I'm a small flexible guy.

I have, I'll take the 2 or 8 block walk please.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20815 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pessimist:
quote:
Originally posted by Fed161:
All I can say is that this should surprise no one. Yeah I get tired of the optics argument too. Do I have sympathy for the guy. No. My sympathy is with the cops who have to put up with this nonsense. But pick your battles. How much trouble would it be to put him in the back of a patrol car?

I basically agree. Poor judgement. What they did is rarely seen so it's going to attract attention. That may be exactly what they were looking for. What's the point of police on horseback in populated areas that are accessible by typical patrol vehicles? Ridiculous. They don't do themselves many favors.

Given the current climate, optics are huge, right now, why put yourself under more scrutiny. Being on horseback you're in the spotlight, mounted patrols are great for chasing somebody down, crowd control, and public relations. They didn't do anything wrong however, their chief, captain and lieutenant all now have to answer to their bosses as to why, and was that the best option.

Posts: 14634 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Would our apology and a couple of mil ease your pain and suffering, Mr.Neely? Of course, any record of your humiliation will be expunged.

Posts: 5768 | Location: west 'by god' virginia | Registered: May 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HayesGreener:
Texas lawmen on horseback have been leading criminals around with ropes for a couple hundred years. So what's the big deal?

Truth.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53121 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by smschulz:
They could of just hog tied him and threw him over the back of the horse seawall.
FIFY... Big Grin Big Grin

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 11066 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Move Up or
Move Over
posted Hide Post
he should be glad they didn't rope him by his feet and drag him horizontally down the road at a gallop

Posts: 4954 | Location: middle Tennessee | Registered: October 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spinnin' Chain
Picture of Expat
posted Hide Post
Those MP's are thrilled I'm sure. "Trained technique and best practice" and they still get thrown under the bus. Way to cultivate loyalty Chief. Roll Eyes

Posts: 3239 | Location: Oregun | Registered: August 02, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of HayesGreener
posted Hide Post
That chief will likely get a no confidence vote from his officers as a result of this

CMSGT USAF (Retired)
Chief of Police (Retired)

Posts: 4358 | Location: Florida Panhandle | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blackmore
posted Hide Post
This wouldn't even be a blip on the radar if the suspect weren't rich & vibrant. Both mounted officers are white.

Truth: The New Hate Speech

Posts: 3445 | Location: W. Central NH | Registered: October 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of TigerDore
posted Hide Post

Posts: 8615 | Registered: September 26, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ozarkwoods
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by smschulz:
They could of just hog tied him and threw him over the back of the horse.

LOL exactly what I was going to write!

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 4829 | Location: SWMO | Registered: October 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by downtownv:
Well, it wasn't around his neck...

That is where the cops fucked up...they should have put it around his neck and asked the horsey to giddy up...

Posts: 151 | Location: Florida | Registered: May 02, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
quote:
What if this were one of your sons or grandsons who was going to be arrested for something as trivial as trespassing and they lashed him to a horse and drug him of to jail

Pretty sure he was neither “lashed to a horse” or “drug of to jail”, but nice hyperbole.

And having had plenty of experience with trespassers on our rural property, I don’t consider it trivial.

Posts: 26893 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Inject yourself!
posted Hide Post
I think the trend toward kinder gentler policing has trended too far, to the point of disrespecting authorities more. Case in point, the women in another thread that got tazed for resisting arrest and running to try and avoid a minor ticket.

Do not send me to a heaven where there are no dogs.
Step Up or Stand Aside: Support the Troops !
Expectations are premeditated disappointments.

Posts: 8343 | Location: West | Registered: November 26, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Political animals often need a rope, and many times a branch!

Jim

Posts: 1349 | Location: Southern Black Hills | Registered: September 14, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Just so tired of the politically correct crap.

Since this was a dept. trained technique there should not have been any comment other than saying that they followed procedure.

Posts: 794 | Location: NW North Carolina | Registered: November 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post