SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    T12 Fluorescent to T8 LED... possible?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

T12 Fluorescent to T8 LED... possible? Login/Join 
Team Apathy
posted
I was given a box of T8 LED lamps.... is there a way I can get those to work in my T12 fixtures in my garage?

Apparently the T12’s have reached their end of life. 6 of the 8 tubes have died in the last week. My garage is getting dark!

Posts: 6361 | Location: Modesto, CA | Registered: January 27, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
Since nobody else has jumped in...

I believe you have to replace the magnetic ballasts with electronic ballasts. Or simply bypass the ballasts entirely?

If you search on "T12 T8 LED" (w/o the quotes), or something like that, I imagine you'll get plenty of hits.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
Yes. We are doing this in our barn.

Remove the T-12 tubes, open the fixture, remove the ballast, wire one set of tombstones (one "end" of the fixture) from the hot/black wire coming in, and wire the other "end" set of tombstones with the white/neutral wire. It's best to cut the wires from the ballast close to the ballast, and use the existing wiring. Secure each branch with wire nuts, and you are good to go.

Better light, less energy.

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12768 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
Depends on the LED bulbs, they make them that work without disconnecting the ballasts, bought some at Costco and they install right into the existing fixtures, didn't have to remove the ballast in either..

[URL=https://www.costco.com/feit-electric-led-4'-replacement-glass-tubes%2c-4-pack.product.100482236.html]link[/URL]

Product Details

Convert your existing fluorescent fixture to LED technology with the 12-Pack Feit Electric T48/841/LED/12 4ft. T8/T12 LED Plug and Play Lamps. This 4100K cool white lamp is non-dimmable. It produces a similar fluorescent lamp output (1750 lumens), uses 14 watts of electricity and up to 56% less energy than a standard fluorescent lamp. Get instant on to full brightness even in sub-zero temperatures with relatively cool running performance. Feit Electric shatterproof T8/T12 lamps have an average life of 50,000 hours / 45.7 years are RoHS compliant and are 100% mercury free. Choose a dependable flicker-free lighting for residential or commercial applications. No replacement of the ballast or installation of LED driver or removal of old ballast required

Features:
T8 & T12 Plug & Play Replacement
32/40 Watt Replacement
Universal Base
Instant Full Brightness
Shatter Resistant Coating
No Flicker or Strobing
5 Year Warranty
UL/CUL Listed
RoHs Compliant
100% Mercury Free
Non-Dimmable

Specifications: Feit Model# T48/840/LEDG2/12

Posts: 23393 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ensigmatic:

I believe you have to replace the magnetic ballasts with electronic ballasts. Or simply bypass the ballasts entirely?
I have seen two different types of fluorescent replacement LED tubes.
  • One type that is a direct replacement for fixtures with electronic ballast, plug & play, as HRK posted,

• and another type that works without the ballast, as Artie posted.
Read the package carefully, it will tell state which type it is.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30647 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
^^^^^^^ What are tombstones?

Posts: 11837 | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
I've been doing this exact thing in the last few weeks. They are so cheap now that the payback should be under 6 months if you do your own installation.
I had a shop full of T8's and my home garage had T12's. The prongs on the led bulbs fit either type.
The best alternative was to use the power on one end type without a ballast, wired directly.
I bought a case of 25 bulbs online and they were $5.99 ea. with free shipping. Mine are 2000 lumens (brightness) and 5000K (light color) for a more daylight light.
Depending on your present type fixture and ballast, you may have to buy replacement unshunted (terminals not connected) tombstones for one end (the end mount) but the wiring is very simple. The other end has no wiring after the conversion and just holds that end of the bulb in place.
The old fluorescents were 40-45w and the new bulbs are 15, so less than half the electricity. Also, fluorescent bulbs radiate 360 degrees of light and the reflected part is not as efficient as the LED's that shine all the light down.
Using a ballast type defeats the purpose because the ballast costs as much or more than two bulbs and when it eventually goes out you have to replace it and buy different bulbs. Also the ballast type has more fire risk (ballasts can catch fire) and is less efficient.
Plenty of youtube videos and other info to guide you. I have minimal electrical skills and it was easy, even for me.

Posts: 9495 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by OKCGene:
^^^^^^^ What are tombstones?

Those white (usually) connector thingies into which you slot and turn the bulbs.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
These are what you want.
https://www.1000bulbs.com/prod...ieH_T_xoCk_sQAvD_BwE

How to tell what you have.
https://insights.regencylighti...mbstones-lampholders

These are the bulbs I ordered. They are 2000 lumens, not 1800 as the ad shows. Better for what I wanted which was more light.
https://www.atlantalightbulbs..../led48t8-se-850-byp/

Posts: 9495 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Timely post.
Have a few in the garage getting dim & the fluorescent in our master closet has a bulb out.
Been considering LED replacements.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15285 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
Post a picture of the box, or link to product as well as a picture of the guts of the fixture. I can tell you exactly how to do it with that information.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20815 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Team Apathy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Skins2881:
Post a picture of the box, or link to product as well as a picture of the guts of the fixture. I can tell you exactly how to do it with that information.

I’m pretty sure these are them. The only apparent difference is mine are a different color temp and a box of 16.

4 Pack 32W Equivalent Bright White T8 LED Tube Light Bulb Bright White (4,000 K) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07B..._api_i_Un.IEbF8TXPR8

Fixture pictures forthcoming....

Link to pictures of the fixture guts:
https://imgur.com/a/6Qa4eWg

This message has been edited. Last edited by: thumperfbc,

Posts: 6361 | Location: Modesto, CA | Registered: January 27, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
Not a huge fan of utilitech branded stuff, but pretty easy to rewire.

You will need to replace the ballasts. Replacement ballast.

To rewire. Cut two yellow wires, splice both together with red wire from replacement ballast. Then cut both blue wires, splice with one blue from new ballast. Next cut both red wires from old ballast and splice with second blue wire from new ballast.

Ballast in my pic is different brand than link, but I prefer advance ballasts over others, and wiring is the same either way.

Wire nuts in my pics are Ideal 30-072, but you can use any smallish ones you want. Save and reuse screw from old ballast that secures ballast in place.

I do this for a living, takes under 10 min for each location, you should be able to do it under 15 min per location. Wire size is 18awg, make sure you have strippers that can strip 18awg wire.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20815 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
quote:

You skipped turn off the power. Razz

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12402 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Team Apathy
posted Hide Post
Thanks Skins. I’ve ordered the ballasts.

Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Georgeair:
quote:

You skipped turn off the power. Razz

That shit is for amateurs. 99% of the time I'm working on stuff hot. No choice, can't tell the stores to close and turn off the lights while I fix them.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by thumperfbc:

Anytime. Anyone who has electrical questions now is the time to ask them. I got nothing better to do.

An added bonus. Electronic ballasts are silent, no more him from the magnetic ballast. No flicker-flicker-flicker start and instant on. The lamps themselves may make a slight noise, if they do, give them to a buddy, and replace with different brand. Wink

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
quote:

How much are the ballasts?

Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 220-9er:
quote:

How much are the ballasts?

$12-19 depending on where you get them from.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
I was lucky when I replaced the fluorescent bulbs with LED bulbs from Costco in the five el-cheapo fixtures hanging in our garage. With only one of them did they not work correctly. It would light for a while, then go out. Cool off. Light. Get hot. Out it'd go.

I simply replaced the entire fixture, since it was only the one.