SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    WATCHDOGS: Even being seen with gang member sends 1,000s to jail
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

WATCHDOGS: Even being seen with gang member sends 1,000s to jail Login/Join 
posted
I am bothered by the headline from the Chicago Sun Times. Great news, effective policing. However some seem to be bothered by it hindering civil rights. Cannot have things both ways.

http://chicago.suntimes.com/ne...sends-1000s-to-jail/

Posts: 17228 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
Confused

I’m not sure why this is thought to be so remarkable. The offense is “‘unlawful contact’ with a gang member while on parole.” Being on parole restricts many civil rights. The alternative is to be in prison where one has even fewer rights.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47407 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do---or do not.
There is no try.
posted Hide Post
As a law enforcement officer, I'm prohibited from socializing with convicted felons. That keeps me from saying much more than a cordial "hello" to some people I've worked or gone to school with.

That's the rule, and nearly every law enforcement agency I know of has that rule.

To me, this law isn't much different, and I'm okay with it.

Posts: 4498 | Registered: January 01, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Don't Panic
Picture of joel9507
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigfreund:
Confused

I’m not sure why this is thought to be so remarkable. The offense is “‘unlawful contact’ with a gang member while on parole.” Being on parole restricts many civil rights. The alternative is to be in prison where one has even fewer rights.

Assuming the definition of 'unlawful contact' is reasonable and clear, I have no issue with this either.

Nobody is under compulsion to accept parole. If parole terms are not something they can abide, they can opt to stay in the big house a bit longer, and then when they get out, parole would not apply and they can hang out with whomever they please.

Posts: 15027 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: October 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Never miss an opportunity
to be Batman!
Picture of jsbcody
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by joel9507:
quote:
Originally posted by sigfreund:
Confused

Assuming the definition of 'unlawful contact' is reasonable and clear, I have no issue with this either.

Nobody is under compulsion to accept parole. If parole terms are not something they can abide, they can opt to stay in the big house a bit longer, and then when they get out, parole would not apply and they can hang out with whomever they please.

Yep. I have ran into several bad guys and girls who did the max, just because they did not want to abide or be restricted by any rules when they got out. BTW, guess what they did when they got out? If you guessed immediately returning to their criminal ways, you would be correct.

I read the linked article, it was all about the bad mean police. Ahh, the police arrest for parole violation, it is up to the parole officer and courts to charge and convict for violations. Also the article said it was occurring more often in the south and west side of Chicago. Hmmm, well gosh just looking at the murder map on Hey Jackass.com, I can see why that is occurring. That is not even factoring in the prevalence of gangs and the number of parolees running around.

Posts: 3932 | Location: St.Louis County MO | Registered: October 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
WATCHDOGS: Even being seen with gang member sends 1,000s of parole violators to jail

They let you out early If you obey the rules.

The butcher with the sharpest knife has the warmest heart.

Posts: 13399 | Location: Bottom of Lake Washington | Registered: March 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post