SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    BC/BS dropping dental coverage for daughter
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

BC/BS dropping dental coverage for daughter Login/Join 
SF Jake
posted
received a notice from my family health insurance that they are dropping dental coverage for my soon to be 19 year old daughter...apparently that is their cut off age, covered for medical until age 26. I’m confused and wasn’t aware this would happen...anyone else know about this? I have to contact my HR dept on monday and see what they have to say...what are my options?
I called BC/BS and they said it was the normal cut off....didn’t care she is a full time student...so basically, told me to screw. Mad

Posts: 3119 | Location: southern connecticut | Registered: March 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gone but Together Again.
Dad & Uncle
Picture of h2oys
posted Hide Post
The age 26 cut off for medical is due to ObamaCare which was passed on 3/23/10.

Dental can be set at 19, 19/23, 19/25, etc. What 19/23 means is 19 if not full time student and 23 if full time student, etc. Some cut off on the day they become the deadline age, others the end of the month in which they hit the deadline age, and others the end of the year they hit the deadline age.

The choice of deadline can be insurance carrier imposed, or, its how your employer decided to set up the plan.

Posts: 3720 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: November 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
Luckily it’s only the dental which coverage for is relatively cheap compared to medical.

Posts: 33787 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
eh-TEE-oh-clez
Picture of Aeteocles
posted Hide Post
When I was a student, it was cheapest to buy healthcare through the school. More convenient too, as the health clinic was on campus.

Posts: 13047 | Location: Orange County, California | Registered: May 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Learn it, know it, live it
Picture of 1lowlife
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Aeteocles:
When I was a student, it was cheapest to buy healthcare through the school. More convenient too, as the health clinic was on campus.

When my insurance stopped on my son at 26, he did the same thing.
He was still working on his PhD at UT Dallas..

He now does cyber stuff for State Farm and has better insurance than I do...

Posts: 4360 | Location: Great State of TEXAS | Registered: July 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PASig:
Luckily it’s only the dental which coverage for is relatively cheap compared to medical.

Agreed. The more expensive “procedures” like crowns or root canals aren’t covered worth beans because they are considered “cosmetic”. Cleanings and fillings are relative inexpensive; there are very, very few medical procedures that don’t come with a staggeringly large bill.

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15569 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
SF Jake
posted Hide Post
As has been mentioned, dental is relatively cheap compared to medical....but I have one quote for just under a thousand dollars a year so far....going to shop around this next week and make some decisions.

Posts: 3119 | Location: southern connecticut | Registered: March 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
I've never found that dental is worth buying. They don't cover the big stuff you would normally buy insurance for. The stuff they do cover is about the amount of the premiums, if you use it all.

Posts: 9500 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 220-9er:
I've never found that dental is worth buying.

This ^^^^^

My wife and I used to have dental insurance via my company's health care plan. For what it cost, it was worth it. But when we looked into dental plans after my retirement, what they cost, what they covered, etc., we found they were not worth it.

Upon out dentist's office's recommendation, we signed up for the DenteMax Discount Dental Plan with DentalPlans.com. It's more a dental services discount plan than an insurance plan. <Looks...> It's $180/year for the two of us. Just saved us $2k on what would've otherwise been a $4.6k tab for crowns for my wife.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
SF Jake
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ensigmatic:
quote:
Originally posted by 220-9er:
I've never found that dental is worth buying.

This ^^^^^

My wife and I used to have dental insurance via my company's health care plan. For what it cost, it was worth it. But when we looked into dental plans after my retirement, what they cost, what they covered, etc., we found they were not worth it.

Upon out dentist's office's recommendation, we signed up for the DenteMax Discount Dental Plan with DentalPlans.com. It's more a dental services discount plan than an insurance plan. <Looks...> It's $180/year for the two of us. Just saved us $2k on what would've otherwise been a $4.6k tab for crowns for my wife.

Interesting perspective...thank you ensigmatic! good info

Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
It was likely in the paperwork, so it shouldn't really be a surprise.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
SF Jake
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RHINOWSO:
It was likely in the paperwork, so it shouldn't really be a surprise.

your probably right...but admittedly I read the fine print 25 years ago and didn’t have kids at the time...so there’s that. I’m not trying to blame anyone, I know it’s my fault. I’ve brought this to the attention of a couple guys that have kids similar in age, and they weren’t aware of it either...so Im not alone. Big Grin