SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    What gun company are you most disappointed in?
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What gun company are you most disappointed in? Login/Join 
Corgis Rock
Picture of Icabod
posted Hide Post
Kimber

Bought the Kimber Solo when it came out. Beautiful gun. Never worked. At the time Kimber listed 15 different ammunitions that they promised would work in the gun. Nope. Getting through a magazine without a FTE was a pipe dream. Sent it back. Got one (1) magazine through it before everything went south.
Took it back to the LGS where I bought it. The gunsmith asked me how many rounds I'd fired? Now the "break in" was 50 rounds. At that time I had about 600. The guy stared and said he'd guessed several thousand. The slide went forward if you shook the gun. The slide and the barrel were knocking metal off each other. The gun went back with a letter from the gunsmith. Kimber sent a new gun. I looked, sighed, then traded it for a Springfield EMP. That never has given me an issue.

“ The work of destruction is quick, easy and exhilarating; the work of creation is slow, laborious and dull.

Posts: 6060 | Location: Outside Seattle | Registered: November 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Kimber here also. when they left Clackamas, the quality stayed there. Owned three over the years, always beautiful looking pistols that could not fire a full magazine of rounds. Bang, bang, jam. Bang, jam. still think they are some of the best looking pistols out there, but I much prefer my Dan Wessons' that work on a very regular basis.

The “POLICE"
Their job Is To Save Your Ass,
Not Kiss It

The muzzle end of a .45 pretty much says "go away" in any language - Clint Smith

Posts: 2882 | Location: See der Rabbits, Iowa | Registered: June 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Warhorse:
Colt has disappointed me over the years.

Financial problems, labor problems, quality control problems.

Colt was my first thought. They ought to be able to be successful, but they keep screwing it up.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53120 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ignored facts
still exist
posted Hide Post
Smith and Wesson quality control on their revolvers through the late 80's and 90's.

----------------------
Let's Go Brandon!

Posts: 10889 | Location: 45 miles from the Pacific Ocean | Registered: February 28, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do No Harm,
Do Know Harm
posted Hide Post
S&W and their stupid internal locks with the fugly key hole on the side.

I'll never spend my money on one. I do have a 40 year old Model 36.

Knowing what one is talking about is widely admired but not strictly required here.

Although sometimes distracting, there is often a certain entertainment value to this easy standard.
-JALLEN

"All I need is a WAR ON DRUGS reference and I got myself a police thread BINGO." -jljones

Posts: 11448 | Location: NC | Registered: August 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Whack-Job
Whisperer
Picture of 18DAI
posted Hide Post
The current company posing as s&w.

They have cheapened the brand. Poor designs. Cheap parts, misaligned barrels, internal locks.
Non existent QA/QC.
Scalpers prices. Eliminated the actual Performance Center and sell you slightly modified mass produced junk wearing the famous Performance Center seal - at REAL Performance Center prices.

Ugly plastic guns with lousy triggers and droopy dust covers that you have to rebuild with aftermarket Apex parts - to give them everything the factory couldn't be bothered to..........

I could go on but why bother. I have not purchased a new s&w product in over 17 years. And have no intention of doing so. As far as I'm concerned, S&W went out of business in 2001. Regards 18DAI

7+1 Rounds of hope and change

Posts: 4231 | Registered: August 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bobandmikako
posted Hide Post
Smith and Wesson gets my vote for reasons other have mentioned.

十人十色

Posts: 2103 | Location: Semmes, Alabama | Registered: June 15, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Constable
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 18DAI:
The current company posing as s&w.

They have cheapened the brand. Poor designs. Cheap parts, misaligned barrels, internal locks.
Non existent QA/QC.
Scalpers prices. Eliminated the actual Performance Center and sell you slightly modified mass produced junk wearing the famous Performance Center seal - at REAL Performance Center prices.

Ugly plastic guns with lousy triggers and droopy dust covers that you have to rebuild with aftermarket Apex parts - to give them everything the factory couldn't be bothered to..........

I could go on but why bother. I have not purchased a new s&w product in over 17 years. And have no intention of doing so. As far as I'm concerned, S&W went out of business in 2001. Regards 18DAI

THIS! The Beancounters are running most of the manufacturers anymore. It's about cheapening up production and zero QC. S&W really pains me, as I've been a fanboy for half a Century.

Posts: 7074 | Location: Craig, MT | Registered: December 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of steelcityfishanddive
posted Hide Post
EAA, while not making the Tanfoglio guns, they're bringing them in and their lack of customer service and after market accessories blow. Not having holsters available or dummy guns available for leather craftsman to make holsters is very unfortunate.

Posts: 1315 | Location: Tampa, FL | Registered: June 26, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Step by step walk the thousand mile road
Picture of Sig2340
posted Hide Post
SIG Sauer.

Those morons will not build 550 and 553 rifles in the US.

I'd be throwing money at them is they did.

Nice is overrated

"It's every freedom-loving individual's duty to lie to the government."
Airsoftguy, June 29, 2018

Posts: 31419 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rangeme101
posted Hide Post
MagPul

For never seeing their Masada through with all the barrel/caliber options that they hyped for years. Selling it off to Remington who also didn't follow through with the options. Could have been the "new standard" if MagPul would have kept it and made it for the masses.

Just think where they could be right now in the firearms industry. Hell they would probably be the new "Colt" for the military at this point. They would still own the accessory market AND own the firearm market. I'm sure if they would have never given up on the Masada they would have eventually made a pistol to match.

Way too many fan boys and those who drink their kool-aid to not make it work if they had made it to begin with. Imagine if you will what the past 10 years could have been. Dammit MagPul.

" like i said,....i didn't build it, i didn't buy it, and i didn't break it."

Posts: 1299 | Location: N. Georgia | Registered: March 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Ruger... my LCP failed out of the box (50% of rounds wouldn't eject even after 100 through the barrel)

SR-22 Trigger refused to reset every time a round was fired.

The only two Ruger semi-autos I've owned and they were both duds out of the box.

I had some problems with the LCP and the SR 22, sent both in and no problems now. They paid shipping and had guns back within a week. Both had seen very heavy use and are now 100 per cent reliable.

Posts: 17221 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jezsuiz
posted Hide Post
I agree with several of the posts about chasing the bottom line. I'd gladly pay a few dollars more for good finishes and sights etc. a little goes a long way in this regard.

Posts: 556 | Location: NE not new england | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Washing machine whisperer
Picture of Appliance Brad
posted Hide Post
Chiappa

My wife did a T&E on their Rhino revolver. Great concept, the thing actually did mitigate recoil incredibly well. But the fit and finish was crappy, it wouldn't eject cases, extractor star would go right past the case heads.

It was so awful she sent it back and didn't do a review on it.

Posts: 11219 | Location: below the palm tree line of Michigan | Registered: September 17, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post