SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Afghan Major tweets letter of tribute to the widow of the Utah mayor killed in Afghanistan Saturday (updated)
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Afghan Major tweets letter of tribute to the widow of the Utah mayor killed in Afghanistan Saturday (updated) Login/Join 
Nature is full of
magnificent creatures
posted
Major Taylor left behind a wife (Jennie) and 7 children, aged 11 months to 13 years. He left in January and was due to come home before the holidays. Brent Taylor joined the Army after 9/11, along with 5 of his brothers (see photo below).

“When I asked Jennie what she would like me to say when we came out, she said that there is heartache but no regret,” said Taylor’s sister-in-law Kristy Pack, who spoke to members of the media on behalf of the family.

“It would be hard to find a family that loves our country more than this family,” Pack said, “and that has the desire to serve our country more than this family.”

https://www.sltrib.com/news/20...utah-national-guard/

May God bless this beautiful family, and all like them.
-------------------------------------

In a moving letter to the wife of the North Ogden mayor slain while deployed in Afghanistan, an Afghan pilot who served with him said the Utahn taught him to love his wife “as an equal” and treat his children as “treasured gifts.”

Major Abdul Rahman Rahmani tweeted a letter to Major Brent Taylor’s wife late Sunday night that, as of Monday morning, had received over 3,300 likes and over 1,200 retweets. Rahman Rahmani said he conducted several missions alongside Taylor who he often remembers saying, “Family is not something. It is everything.”

https://www.ksl.com/article/46...-my-wife-as-an-equal

https://twitter.com/rahmanrahm.../1059319558257946624

Jonathan Taylor, son of North Ogden Mayor Brent Taylor, is held his aunt, Kate Borden, during a press conference in North Ogden on Sunday, Nov. 4, 2018. Taylor, a major in the Utah National Guard, was killed in Afghanistan on Saturday, Nov. 3, 2018.

North Ogden Mayor Brent Taylor and his family

North Ogden Mayor Brent Taylor, who also served as a major in the Utah Army National Guard, stands with his five brothers who all joined the Army in the years following 9/11. Taylor was killed in Afghanistan on Saturday, Nov. 3, 2018.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: deepocean,

Posts: 6273 | Registered: March 24, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Husband, Father, Aggie,
all around good guy!
Picture of HK Ag
posted Hide Post
May we all be as eloquent as Major Rahmani! May we all be as deserving as Major Taylor!

Thank you Major Taylor and Major Rahmani for your service and sacrifices.

Posts: 3495 | Location: Tomball, Texas | Registered: August 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of smlsig
posted Hide Post
Wow, what a great and thoughtful letter.

------------------
Eddie

Our Founding Fathers were men who understood that the right thing is not necessarily the written thing. -kkina

Posts: 6309 | Location: In transit | Registered: February 19, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That rug really tied
the room together.
Picture of bubbatime
posted Hide Post
My computer must have a feature where it emits fresh cut onion vapors or something.

Posts: 6660 | Location: Floriduh | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
Heaven just got a little more crowded.
God Bless his wife and children.

Q

Posts: 26203 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of FlyingScot
posted Hide Post
Wow. I am always proud and saddened that such great men are the cost we pay for our freedom. Prayers for his family and brothers in arms

“Forigive your enemy, but remember the bastard’s name.”

-Scottish proverb

Posts: 1999 | Location: South Florida | Registered: December 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hoping for better pharmaceuticals
Picture of AZSigs
posted Hide Post
Prayers go out to the family.

Getting shot is no achievement. Hitting your enemy is. NRA Endowment Member . NRA instructor

Posts: 8752 | Location: Peoria, Arizona | Registered: April 02, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Prayers for the family.
I hope that there are more like the Afghan Major.
Hope that peace will come to that land.

ARman

Posts: 3146 | Registered: May 19, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of scot818
posted Hide Post
Wow that was an amazing letter. It’s a terrible loss for Major Taylor’s wife and family. Major Taylor must have made a giant impression on the Afghan Major. That is quite an eloquent letter - for something written about a soldier. I’ll be saying a prayer for them all.

Posts: 1440 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: May 31, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
Quite the record of service for that family.

Brings to mind the Sullivan brothers.

Posts: 19975 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nature is full of
magnificent creatures
posted Hide Post
Tonight hundreds of neighbors and strangers gathered outside the home of the family to show their support and love.

(Sorry for the size of the photos. I can only get them to be large or postage stamp size.)

https://www.deseretnews.com/ar...aj-brent-taylor.html

NORTH OGDEN — Hundreds of neighbors and strangers gathered in front of the home of a fallen Utah soldier and mayor Wednesday night, breaking out in spontaneous hymns that filled the quiet, cold air.

American flags lined the sidewalk in front of the home and candlelight illuminated the darkness.

"Everybody in this community just loved Brent. We love Jennie, we love their family. We're going to miss him," Jeri Gale, a neighbor, told the Deseret News tearfully during the vigil for North Ogden Mayor Brent Taylor, a major in the National Guard who was killed in Afghanistan.

Taylor, 39, took an unprecedented one-year leave of absence from his post as mayor for his deployment in January. He was killed in an apparent insider attack in Kabul on Saturday.

During the vigil, Taylor's relatives huddled together on the driveway, facing the crowd of mourners. As the neighbors sang, Taylor's children were hugged by family members.

The feeling of love for the family was palpable among the mourners, both strangers and friends, bundled against the cold.

Jennie Taylor, wife of the fallen soldier, spoke briefly, thanking community members for their support over the past few days.

She said the family has felt "overwhelmed with love."

"We love you, Jennie," an echo of voices in the crowd said following her comments.

Gale told the Deseret News the community plans to "rally around and help her with those kids."

"She's staying put, so we'll be right here to help her with the kids. That's what he would do for us, if the tables were turned, he would be there to help with our kids. It's the least we could do," Gale said.

She said the community is a close one thanks to their mayor.

"We were very divided with the politics of the community until he was selected. And he just brought everybody together. He had a vision for the community. And he wanted us to remember to love each other and to work together to better the community, and that's what we've been doing for the last five years," Gale recalled.

Frank Hare knew Taylor for more than 10 years, working with him on the city's economic development committee and as members of the same congregation of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.

"There's a hole in my heart," he said, pausing to hold back tears. "Something's missing. So right now, it's going to take time. Will that hole ever fill? No, but it may close off a little bit, or scab over if you will. … He was a great person, a great mayor. Most of all he was a great father, and he did what he knew was right, not what he thought was right."

Hare said the community has been deeply affected by the loss.

"The community is hollow right now. And, as you can see, the people who are out here right now, we're all hurting. A lot, some more than others, some are closer to Brent than others, but we're all feeling hollow," he said.

"We've cried a lot of tears," said Pleasant View City Councilwoman Sara Urry, who got to know Taylor while he served on the North Ogden City Council. She called him a "good, good, good man" and praised his wife's strength.

"I can't even imagine. I have children of my own, but from one day to the next, all the sudden now everything is changed in her life forever. And I can't even imagine. But she is an amazing, strong individual. She truly is," Urry said.

As the vigil ended, community members sang the Latter-day Saint children's song "Families Can be Together Forever" while the family trickled back into the home.

Posts: 6273 | Registered: March 24, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post