SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Cold Brew Coffee guys...
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Cold Brew Coffee guys... Login/Join 
Music's over turn
out the lights
Picture of David W
posted
I have the cold brew Toddy set and have made a few very good brews but mostly I get super bitter undrinkable crap.

I have used all kinds of coffee, I grind it on the coarsest setting and have used varying brew times from 7 hours to 24 hours and its hit or miss.

Any tips to help me out?

David W.

Rather fail with honor than succeed by fraud. -Sophocles

Posts: 3636 | Location: Winston Salem, N.C. | Registered: May 30, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
paradox in a box
Picture of frayedends
posted Hide Post
Are you diluting it? I know most cold brewers make a concentrate.

These go to eleven.

Posts: 12407 | Location: Westminster, MA | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Big Stack
posted Hide Post
When I got mine, it said to make sure the water is really cold. So I fill the carafe with water and let it sit in the fridge for a while before grinding up the coffee and putting it in the filter into the carafe.

also, and this is obvious. Play with how much coffee you use.

Posts: 21240 | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Delusions of Adequacy
Picture of zoom6zoom
posted Hide Post
from my understanding, when cold brewing you need to use about double the amount o grounds.

I have my own style of humor. I call it Snarkasm.

Posts: 17944 | Location: Virginia | Registered: June 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
I put a 12oz of ground coffee from the vacuum sealed bricks that you get at the supermarket into a half gallon pitcher, fill with cold water, and put it in the fridge for 24 hours. Then I pour the liquid through a coffee filter to separate the grounds out. When I use it, I dilute one part coffee concentrate to two parts water. Tastes great, and makes the best iced coffee ever.

Oh, and Maxwell house works fine. I like good coffee; even might be something of a coffee snob, but when it comes to cold brew, the cheap ground supermarket stuff works quite well.

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12748 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of tha1000
posted Hide Post
I make mine in a french press just like I do when it's hot... same water, same grounds. I leave overnight in fridge. It's drinkable, almost pleasant if I am working out in my hot ass Mississippi garage.

Posts: 5383 | Location: MS | Registered: June 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of domcintosh
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tha1000:
I make mine in a french press just like I do when it's hot... same water, same grounds. I leave overnight in fridge. It's drinkable, almost pleasant if I am working out in my hot ass Mississippi garage.
This as well. I use the same quantity of espresso grounds.

The opinions expressed in no way reflect the stance or opinion of my employer.

Posts: 5446 | Location: Stationed in Kitsap Washington w/ the USN | Registered: November 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rockchalk06
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tha1000:

I never thought of that. That's freggin genius. In the summer I generally french press it and just add ice in my Yeti. Keeps it cold for an hour or so before it's gone.

Posts: 1363 | Location: OK | Registered: April 13, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
Cold brew coffee to water ratio is much higher than hot brewed.
Hot Brew = 16 to 17 : 1
Cold Brew = 5 to 7 : 1

Measure by weight not volume.

Posts: 22860 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Curious - are you using filtered water, bottled water or water from the tap?

I got hooked on cold brew after a Disney cruise a few years ago. I bought several different units where you put ice and water in the top and let it drip to brew. Returned every one of them. I ended up with a Tekaya 1 Qt cold brew tea pitcher. It has a center cone filter that attaches to the lid.

I have experimented a couple ways and now actually "brew" twice with the same batch.

I like flavored coffee (mixed with regular - not full strength) and I Love coffee who makes coffee for Disney. I mix 1/4-1/2 Flavored with of one of their dark/bold Disney hotel blends. I used 8-9 coffee scoops in the filter, then fill the pitcher with cold water from my fridge (filter right out of the door). I sit it on the counter for 24 hours. I pour that brew into a pitcher and put it in the fridge. Then I add 3 more scoops of coffee into the filter and refill the pitcher and let it sit for 48 hours. The second batch is not at strong, but I mix it in with what is left from the first batch. I just keep the cycle going.

I love STRONG coffee, and usually don't dilute it, but if I add water it is a small amount.

I have been getting pretty consistent coffee since I started doing it this way.

Bonnie

Posts: 21 | Location: Central FL South of the Mouse | Registered: July 02, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SigSentry
posted Hide Post
I've made a few batches sous vide 1/2c french press grind in 4 cups water (2 hours @150F). with the mct and heavy cream, it's like a milkshake for breakfast Smile

Posts: 3484 | Registered: May 30, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Seotaji
posted Hide Post
I use a ratio of 1 cup of cold water to 1/3 cup coarse ground coffee. I'll add more on occasion.

Steep for 12 hours on the counter and then filter into a pitcher or another jar. Dilute as needed.

Posts: 6917 | Registered: February 19, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Curious - are you using filtered water, bottled water or water from the tap?

Never say never but I'd never use tap water.
Filtered or bottled for most folks.
Something that most won't do that I use is distilled water with additive Third Wave Water for the exact perfect coffee water. YMMV

Posts: 22860 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post