SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    What is your earliest childhood memory of a 'news' event?
Page 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 11
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What is your earliest childhood memory of a 'news' event? Login/Join 
Knowing is Half the Battle
Picture of Scuba Steve Sig
posted Hide Post
Challenger explosion. I was 5, first time I remember my dad crying. We had been on vacation just prior and almost saw it take off. Except for all the cold weather delays...

Posts: 2516 | Location: Iowa by way of Missouri | Registered: July 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Doing my best to shape
America's youth
Picture of MooneyP226
posted Hide Post
STS-51-L for me as well, 4th grade. Christa McAuliffe spent a portion of her youth local to my hometown (2 towns over) so she was celebrated as a local hero for being selected for the mission. I was VERY interested in the mission of NASA as a youngster, and was absolutely devastated when the live feed we were watching during school showed the explosion.

Later I found the science behind the tragedy fascinating, but I still remember the empty, hollow feeling thoughout the auditorium, as the scope of what just happened hit the 400-odd students in attendance.

Clarior Hinc Honos

BSA Dad, Cheer Dad

Posts: 1624 | Location: on the 42nd parallel  | Registered: November 19, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Probably 9/11. That was the start of the 24/7/365 news cycle. I was in third grade.

May our caskets be made of hundred-year oak, and may we plant those trees tomorrow.

Posts: 813 | Location: Eastern Iowa | Registered: January 03, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Different events for different generations. Up until JFK assassination people got their news from the evening paper or the radio. I still remember men lining up to get the evening paper that day, to get the details. Prior to then I read the front page of the Chicago Tribune. I remember the milkman delivering milk the day Sputnik launched and thinking the Russians were gonna beat us to the moon, if they didn't nuke us first.

Posts: 17231 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
JALLEN, sorry I took so long to re-visit this thread. I had forgotten about going to Sears or MonkeyWards watching rows of TV's along with lots of other folks. Always crowed, Thanks!

Posts: 5768 | Location: west 'by god' virginia | Registered: May 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Rosenberg trial.

Posts: 7019 | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Notary Sojac
Picture of festus haggen
posted Hide Post
Mike Todd, Elizabeth Taylor's husband at the time, being killed in a plane crash.

Golden lads and girls all must,
As chimney-sweepers, come to dust.

Posts: 368 | Location: Maryland | Registered: June 13, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Info Guru
Picture of BamaJeepster
posted Hide Post
The moon landing and other Apollo missions. I was 4 when the moon landing happened.

I remember my Dad watching a Watergate hearing on a Saturday.

Then I remember Elvis dying - that was huge.

I was in college when Challenger exploded. I happened to be home sleeping in when my mother woke me up and watching the clip over and over.

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
- John Adams

Posts: 29408 | Location: In the red hinterlands of Deep Blue VA | Registered: June 29, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
We gonna get some
oojima in this house!
Picture of smithnsig
posted Hide Post
I have vague recollection of the end of Vietnam. I was born in 67 so I was young. I really remember where I was during the Challenger disaster. I was a bit older and working. For my dad.

-----------------------------------------------------------
TCB all the time...

Posts: 6501 | Location: Cantonment/Perdido Key, Florida | Registered: September 28, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post

Nixon's "Checkers" speech, on our B&W console that had maybe a 12" screen, corners rounded a lot.

Posts: 10785 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The shooting of JFK.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16086 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fourth line skater
Picture of goose5
posted Hide Post
The moon landing for me as well. I remember it from the novelty of being allowed to stay up and long as I wanted after bed time. My Dad said, "This is history."

Posts: 7524 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: July 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ozarkwoods
posted Hide Post
For me it was the JFK assassination. I remember my mother sobbing uncontrollably.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 4834 | Location: SWMO | Registered: October 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Sailor1911
posted Hide Post
Sputnik.

Place your clothes and weapons where you can find them in the dark.

“If in winning a race, you lose the respect of your fellow competitors, then you have won nothing” - Paul Elvstrom "The Great Dane" 1928 - 2016

Posts: 3762 | Location: Wichita, Kansas | Registered: March 27, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I remember listening to F.D.R's Fireside Chats during WWII as well as news commentators, H.V. Kaltenborn , Gabriel Heater and Walter Winchell. I remember hearing about the D Day Invasion but I didn't listen to any radio news accounts. I also "followed" the 1948 GOP, Dem conventions as well as election night returns.
After the Kennedy shooting, I was watching live when Ruby shot Oswald.

"If you think everything's going to be alright, you don't understand the problem!"- Gutpile Charlie
"A man's got to know his limitations" - Harry Callahan

Posts: 9249 | Location: Indian Territory, USA | Registered: March 23, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ZSMICHAEL:
...Up until JFK assassination people got their news from the evening paper or the radio. I still remember men lining up to get the evening paper that day, to get the details...

Do you remember the Chicago Sun-Times being sold back-side-up that day to show Bill Mauldin's drawing? I do.

--------------------------
Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
-- H L Mencken

I always prefer reality when I can figure out what it is.
-- JALLEN 10/18/18

Posts: 9156 | Location: Illinois farm country | Registered: November 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Do you remember the Chicago Sun-Times being sold back-side-up that day to show Bill Mauldin's drawing? I do.

Yeah vividly. Great drawing. I had forgotten about that. Do you remember the Holy Angels fire and the pictures of the dead kids on the front page of the Trib?

Posts: 17231 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Kennedy assassination. I think I was in the second grade. I remember getting to school and a lot of teachers upset and crying.

Posts: 2127 | Location: Tacoma, Wa. | Registered: February 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Happily Retired
Picture of Bassamatic
posted Hide Post
Eisenhower re-election in 1956. My mom and dad liked him so it was on the TV quite a bit. I would have been 9.

.....never marry a woman who is mean to your waitress.

Posts: 5038 | Location: Lake of the Ozarks, MO. | Registered: September 05, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ZSMICHAEL:
...Do you remember the Holy Angels fire and the pictures of the dead kids on the front page of the Trib?

Yes, I do. I attended a Catholic grade school in a near-west suburb at the time, and I think a couple of the survivors transferred out there. Not to my grade, and I don't remember if they were younger or older.

--------------------------
Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
-- H L Mencken

I always prefer reality when I can figure out what it is.
-- JALLEN 10/18/18

Posts: 9156 | Location: Illinois farm country | Registered: November 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post