SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    What is your earliest childhood memory of a 'news' event?
Page 1 2 3 4 5 ... 11
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What is your earliest childhood memory of a 'news' event? Login/Join 
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
Cuban Missile Crisis on black & white TV.
Walter Cronkite was the big guy on the news back then since we only received CBS.
The next big event was when JFK was killed. That seemed to last about a week and during that we saw Oswald shot on TV by Jack Ruby and the funeral in DC.

Posts: 9495 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
1954, end of Korean War,Tinker AFB Midwest City Ok. & TV news coverage & seeing all the USAF men come home and their families so happy. I was 6.

Posts: 5768 | Location: west 'by god' virginia | Registered: May 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Watergate in 1972. I was young but I remember sitting around the TV with my grandmother and parents.
Only 3 TV stations back then.

I'd rather be hated for who I am than loved for who I'm not.

Posts: 3652 | Location: The armpit of Ohio | Registered: August 18, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Armed and Gregarious
Picture of DMF
posted Hide Post
The fall of Saigon.

"War is the remedy that our enemies have chosen, and I say let us give them all they want." - William Tecumseh Sherman

Posts: 12591 | Location: Nomad | Registered: January 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gloom, despair and
agony on me.
Picture of drabfour
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by qxsoup:
Challenger explosion. I was in the 4th grade and watched it live in the cafeteria along with the rest of my elementary school.

Same here.

Posts: 4986 | Location: Texas | Registered: July 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of HayesGreener
posted Hide Post
Sputnik launch. JFK election, Kruschev pounding his shoe on the lectern, Bay of Pigs, JFK assassination.

CMSGT USAF (Retired)
Chief of Police (Retired)

Posts: 4358 | Location: Florida Panhandle | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not all who wander
are lost.
Picture of JohnV
posted Hide Post
Oklahoma City bombing and OJ simpson

Posted from my iPhone.

Posts: 4313 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: February 22, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
The earliest one that comes to mind was the news coverage of the celebrations surrounding the fall of the Berlin Wall in 1989.

Posts: 32495 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Coronation of QE2 on tv. We had just gotten the tube and mom demanded we watch it. I do not think it was live but may have been.

The “POLICE"
Their job Is To Save Your Ass,
Not Kiss It

The muzzle end of a .45 pretty much says "go away" in any language - Clint Smith

Posts: 2889 | Location: See der Rabbits, Iowa | Registered: June 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
In general, I have vague recollections of the Korean War coverage. The first separate event that I recall specifics about was the Sputnik launch. I was already 11 years old by then, but I have poor memories of my childhood—unlike some people who claim to be able to remember what kind of cake they had for their second birthday. Wink

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47399 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bettysnephew:
Coronation of QE2 on tv. We had just gotten the tube and mom demanded we watch it. I do not think it was live but may have been.

My mother sat up far into the night listening to her wedding, in 1947 on the radio, and again to the Coronation. There wasn't much TV in 1947, and not much more in 1953, but it didn't matter as we did not have a TV until years later.

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
I remember the moon walk, the Six Day War and the SALT I talks. Next, I remember the meeting between Nixon and Brezhnev and then the Watergate break-in and the Nixon Impeachment Hearings. I started to pay attention to politics after Nixon's second term election.

I was born in 1965.

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12768 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green Mountain Boy
Picture of Jus228
posted Hide Post
The first Gulf War. I was 8 years old.

!~God Bless the U.S. Military~!

If the world didn't suck, we'd all fall off

Light travels faster than sound, this is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak

Posts: 5563 | Location: Vermont | Registered: March 02, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spread the Disease
Picture of flesheatingvirus
posted Hide Post
Probably the Berlin Wall coming down. I was 6.

-- Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past me I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain. --

Posts: 17269 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: October 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Gosh JALLEN, I thought we were poor, but we had a small TV in '54. We'd sit around & watch the Indian head test pattern And when the National Anthem came on with F-86's flying over, dad would have us stand up straight, hand over heart, in silence til finished. Glad I grew up in that America with a Pa like that.

Posts: 5768 | Location: west 'by god' virginia | Registered: May 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
John Kennedy's death, I was 6 and remember it vividly, probably because it had my Mom crying.

"Once abolish the God, and the Government becomes the God." --- G.K. Chesterton

Posts: 3856 | Location: WNY | Registered: April 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The first one that comes to mind is the OJ circus, but I'm sure there are others. The first one that comes to mind that actually mattered was the Oklahoma City bombing.

Posts: 5161 | Location: Iowa | Registered: February 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Crusty old
curmudgeon
Picture of Jimbo54
posted Hide Post
The Kennedy/Nixon debate because my parents made my brother and I watch it with them. They thought it was the most important election since Roosevelt.

Jim

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll have to be a horrible warning" -Catherine Aird

Posts: 9791 | Location: The right side of Washington State | Registered: September 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My dog crosses the line
Picture of Jeff Yarchin
posted Hide Post
Kennedy's funeral.

Posts: 12918 | Registered: June 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
sick puppy
posted Hide Post
I either wasnt interested in news or my parents tried to keep me from the bad news. I do remember Princess Diana's death, but dont remember hearing about columbine a few years later.

Prior to that, i remember some of Clinton's 1996 campaign, and my parent's dislike for him.

9/11 was the first MAJOR event of my childhood that i was *very* aware of.

Posts: 7546 | Location: Alpine, Ut | Registered: February 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post