SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    What is your earliest childhood memory of a 'news' event?
Page 1 ... 7 8 9 10 11 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What is your earliest childhood memory of a 'news' event? Login/Join 
blame canada
Picture of AKSuperDually
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by qxsoup:
Challenger explosion. I was in the 4th grade and watched it live in the cafeteria along with the rest of my elementary school.
I'd probably go with this also. I certainly have earlier memories, but none come to mind that involved the world outside my own.

I was also in my gradeschool cafeteria watching with my whole school.

What amazes me now, is that the whole gradeschool would sit in a large cafeteria to watch something on a ~32" TV. lol.

I don't remember the explosion registering as a loss of life to me at the time. Perhaps a teach was quick to turn it off or distract us...or perhaps I was too busy picking my nose or staring out the window.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"The trouble with our Liberal friends...is not that they're ignorant, it's just that they know so much that isn't so." Ronald Reagan, 1964
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Arguing with some people is like playing chess with a pigeon. It doesn't matter how good I am at chess, the pigeon will just take a shit on the board, strut around knocking over all the pieces and act like it won.. and in some cases it will insult you at the same time." DevlDogs55, 2014 Big Grin
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

www.rikrlandvs.com

Posts: 13957 | Location: On the mouth of the great Kenai River | Registered: June 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stupid
Allergy
Picture of dry-fly
posted Hide Post
For me it was the Americans being held hostage in Iran. I was 11, but it can vividly remember seeing updates on the news constantly.

"Attack life, it's going to kill you anyway." Steve McQueen...

Posts: 6998 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: July 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Bullshooter
posted Hide Post
While I have dim memories of hearing about the Red Chinese shelling the islands of Quemoy and Matsu, the first memory I have of news when I understood it was the Launch and orbiting of Sputnik in 1957

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time by the blood of patriots and tyrants." Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 644 | Location: NE Ohio | Registered: February 28, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Crusty old
curmudgeon
Picture of Jimbo54
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bullshooter:
Lauch and orbiting of Sputnik in 1957

That was a big one for me as well. We would go out at night and look for it moving across the sky which is amazing because it was only the size of a beach ball, but being made of polished metal it reflected the sunlight easily.

Jim

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll have to be a horrible warning" -Catherine Aird

Posts: 9791 | Location: The right side of Washington State | Registered: September 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
J. F. kennedy inauguration

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54637 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
For me it was the JFK assassination.

I was 2 years old at the time.

In later years I told my mom I remembered it (though at the time I didn't what "it" was). She explained that was impossible and I was probably remembering RFK being shot. When I explained to her what happened that day (she was ironing and when the news came on she dropped the iron on the floor and burned the carpet), she confirmed that was the event.

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

"If dogs don't go to Heaven, I want to go where they go" Will Rogers

Posts: 14038 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Elk Hunter:
Not a news event, but I clearly remember when WW2 ended...

??? In my mind, that was the most important news event of the 20th Century.

--------------------------
Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
-- H L Mencken

I always prefer reality when I can figure out what it is.
-- JALLEN 10/18/18

Posts: 9158 | Location: Illinois farm country | Registered: November 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Only the strong survive
Picture of 41
posted Hide Post
Sometime around 1952, we went to see Herb Parson at the Skyline Drive In Theater where he put on a Exhibition Shoot.

Easy to make Cold Slaw with a shotgun. Big Grin
Shot coins thrown into the air and make them go left or right. Watermelons never had a chance. Smile

Some of you young'n's probably never heard of Herb who worked for Winchester.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nu9-D9KqR4k

Posts: 11828 | Location: Herndon, VA | Registered: June 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
God will always provide
Picture of Fla. Jim
posted Hide Post
The Cuban missile crisis! We watched Army truck convoys headed for Miami for Hours and hours. My Dad a WWII vet said we were going to war for sure. He was a little more than freaked about the nuclear aspect. Then a little later Kennedy being assassinated.

Posts: 4410 | Location: White City, Florida | Registered: January 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by qxsoup:
Challenger explosion.

This.

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37117 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
I remember seeing newsreels of Queen Elizabeth's coronation. Elizabeth II, that is.

Posts: 18066 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drug Dealer
Picture of Jim Shugart
posted Hide Post
Big Grin

When a thing is funny, search it carefully for a hidden truth. - George Bernard Shaw

Posts: 15482 | Location: Virginia | Registered: July 03, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Space Nerd
Picture of Hound Dog
posted Hide Post
Jonestown Massacre. I remember seeing the bodies strewn all over the camp. I don't even know how old I was, and I didn't realize what it was. I just remember the bodies. I don't even know if I realized they were all dead. . .

Fear God and Dread Nought
Admiral of the Fleet Sir Jacky Fisher

Posts: 21845 | Location: Hobbiton, The Shire, Middle Earth | Registered: September 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Armed and Gregarious
Picture of DMF
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SigJacket:
quote:
Originally posted by DMF:
The fall of Saigon.

Likewise. I remember the footage of NVA armor on the news, and the helicopter evacuation.
The helicopters is what I remember most. The weird thing is our only TV was a crappy 13" B&W. Years later when I saw of the same footage I remembered thinking I saw that live, but that it was somehow "wrong." It took me a while to figure out it looked strange because I hadn't seen in it in color.

"War is the remedy that our enemies have chosen, and I say let us give them all they want." - William Tecumseh Sherman

Posts: 12591 | Location: Nomad | Registered: January 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Laugh or Die
posted Hide Post
The OJ Simpson chase.

Posts: 10202 | Location: NC | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned
posted Hide Post
I remember watching the 1960 presidential debate between Kennedy and Nixon. My sister says I told her that Nixon looked "mean". I remember the Cuban Missile Crisis pretty well, my mom was a mess and wanted to put in a fallout shelter. My dad laughed at her.

Posts: 214 | Location: Ohio | Registered: January 01, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Dec 7 1941!! Born and raised in Hawaii

"All warfare is based on deception" Sun Tzu, The art of War

Posts: 552 | Location: Gulf Coast of SW Florida | Registered: August 13, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kalei:
Dec 7 1941!! Born and raised in Hawaii

I think more details are required under the Waiver! Eek

By the way, I think you just won the thread!

--------------------------
Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
-- H L Mencken

I always prefer reality when I can figure out what it is.
-- JALLEN 10/18/18

Posts: 9158 | Location: Illinois farm country | Registered: November 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
Kalei, what island?

Posts: 18066 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of fizteach
posted Hide Post
JFK assassination. I was in second grade. Dad picked me up from school for a doctor's appointment and told me about it.

Get over it!!

Posts: 669 | Location: Campbell, TX | Registered: September 24, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post