SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    What is your earliest childhood memory of a 'news' event?
Page 1 2 3 4 ... 11
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What is your earliest childhood memory of a 'news' event? Login/Join 
Semper Fi - 1775
Picture of Ronin1069
posted
For me it was Reagan getting shot. I was still in Grade school, but remember seeing it on TV when it happened. I still recall seeing the Secret Service guys pull what looked like Uzi's out from their jackets.

This happened in March, so I must have been home sick or something.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 12329 | Location: Belly of the Beast | Registered: January 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted Hide Post
I seem to remember the Watergate hearings pre-empting Sesame Street. I was a displeased young boy.

Posts: 45373 | Location: Pennsyltucky | Registered: December 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
Moon landing, walking on the moon, July 20, 1969:

I was 3 years old. I can remember sitting on my father's lap, watching the little black and white TV, and him telling me to remember this.

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 24108 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Amateur Astronomer
Picture of Test1968
posted Hide Post
Cuban Missile crisis, and stupid duck and cover drills resulting from it.

Alcohol
Tobacco
Firearms

Who brought the chips and dip?

Jim

Posts: 14023 | Location: limbo | Registered: August 29, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Constable
posted Hide Post
In October of 1954 I had just turned four. Hurricane Hazel hit NJ and I witnessed the huge waves hitting the jetties, eroding the beaches, etc. Went down to the coast with my Mom and Dad in my Dad's 1950, green Chevy pickup. I recall the huge waves vividly to this day.

Most likely because, even being in a safe spot, a distance away...it absolutely terrified me.

My beloved Grandfathers death and funeral when I was six also stuck with me.

Posts: 7074 | Location: Craig, MT | Registered: December 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just an ACARS message
with feelings
Picture of qxsoup
posted Hide Post
Challenger explosion. I was in the 4th grade and watched it live in the cafeteria along with the rest of my elementary school.

220/229/228/226/P6/225/XO/SP2022/239

Posts: 3062 | Location: The Queen City (the one in Ohio) | Registered: May 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
The Texas City explosion blew out the windows in our house. I remember that, and only later did I associate it with the event.

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of Death
and Destruction
Picture of walker77
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by qxsoup:
Challenger explosion. I was in the 4th grade and watched it live in the cafeteria along with the rest of my elementary school.

Same here. I was in 3rd I think.

Posts: 7398 | Location: Raymore, Missouri | Registered: June 24, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
The first event I remember watching on the evening news was the release of the hostages from the 444 day Iran hostage crisis on Reagan's inauguration day. I still remember asking my Dad why they released them that day, and he said it was to thumb their nose at Jimmy Carter.

I also remember Reagan getting shot. I was in elementary school, and my classmates older brother knocked on our class room window. The teacher opened it and that is when we learned Reagan had been shot.

The first major news event I remember watching live was the Space Shuttle Challenger explosion. I was home sick and watched the launch live on TV. At first, I thought I had accidentally turned into a movie.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23249 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of fwbulldog
posted Hide Post
The shuttle explosion. I was home sick from school watching it live due to the educational tie-in.

Posts: 3017 | Location: Round Rock | Registered: February 11, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
JFK's assassination and funeral.

Posts: 26903 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
If you're gonna be a
bear, be a Grizzly!
Picture of Todd Huffman
posted Hide Post
Although I was alive, I don't remember the first moon landing. The first historical event I can remember is Harry Truman's funeral.

Here's to the sunny slopes of long ago.

Posts: 3633 | Location: Morganton, NC | Registered: December 31, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eschew Obfuscation
posted Hide Post
The JFK assassination. I was 4 years old.

I remember hearing it on the TV. I walked into the kitchen and told my Mom: "The president is dead". She said "Don't talk like that; it's not funny." I told her to come in the living room and look at the TV. She did and broke into tears.

“Civilization is not inherited; it has to be learned and earned by each generation anew; if the transmission should be interrupted for one century, civilization would die, and we should be savages again." - Will Durant

Posts: 6403 | Location: Chicago, IL | Registered: December 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The Challenger explosion for me as well.

Posts: 1702 | Registered: November 07, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mikeyspizza
posted Hide Post
November 22, 1963. I was 10 and home for lunch from school when it happened.

Posts: 4010 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: August 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nothing can be Something
Picture of greybeard9
posted Hide Post
JFK's assassination. I was a sophomore in high school and it was announced over the PA system.

"In the age of madness, to expect to be untouched by madness is a form of madness." - Saul Bellow

Posts: 1063 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 20, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 2012BOSS302
posted Hide Post
JFK assassination, and getting out of school early when it was announced on the school intercom. Although I think him being shot was the announcement and they sent us home. My father was stationed in MA at the time, it seemed like a big deal there. It was many years later I understood why for MA it was more than the president.

Donald Trump is not a politician, he is a leader, politicians are a dime a dozen, leaders are priceless.

Posts: 3791 | Location: Idaho | Registered: January 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of olfuzzy
posted Hide Post
Watching Eisenhower's Inauguration on a neighbor's TV (we didn't have one yet).

Posts: 5181 | Location: 20 miles north of hell | Registered: November 07, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
JFK's assassination. I was in second grade and my teacher came into the class room crying.

Posts: 7549 | Registered: October 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bookers Bourbon
and a good cigar
Picture of Johnny 3eagles
posted Hide Post
The Korean War. We lived under the flight path at Willow Grove NAS. The jets at night would wake me up, and I was afraid that the war was here.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Johnny 3eagles,

BIDEN SUCKS.

If you're goin' through hell, keep on going.
Don't slow down. If you're scared don't show it.
You might get out before the devil even knows you're there.

NRA ENDOWMENT LIFE MEMBER

Posts: 7120 | Location: Arkansas  | Registered: November 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post