SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Advice Sought - Motorcycle Purchase
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Advice Sought - Motorcycle Purchase Login/Join 
fugitive from reality
Picture of SgtGold
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by P250UA5:
More good points.
Given the bi-polar nature of Gulf Coast weather this time of year, a heavy storm is a possibility just about anywhere along the route.

Plus, if we were to make it into a mini-vacation, the wife would want to come as well, and having no passenger carrying experience would definitely dictate taking the truck.

If this is your plan then you by have chosen wisely. Iron butting is not for the inexperienced, and white line fever comes on hard and fast. After a short while of hyper attentive riding the 'song if the open road' becomes the 'drone of dullness'. I've done muliple 800 mile days and it takes it's toll. Better to get you and the bike hone in one piece and tackle the long distance stuff when you're better trained and equipped.

Posts: 7073 | Location: Newyorkistan | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
We take a trip or two a year, most on heavy Harley touring bikes with heated grips and seats, GPS, two way, cb, backrests, tour packs, cruise control, and 300 to 400 a day is about it to have a nice day, stop for lunch, gas, take a leak, light a cigar and these are long distance touring bikes.

It's not just the miles, it's the heat, wind noise, ass fatigue, of a motorcycle that makes a difference than doing 400 in a car.

I've done longer days, it's not hard to do, but not as much fun.

Posts: 23436 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Title updated.

Making progress with the CFO & throughout the thread we've established that drive out & haul back is the best option.

On to ownership.

Who do we like for full face helmets.
Preferred insurance carriers (will be getting a quote from my current auto carrier).
Other necessary gear, specifically for hot/humid Houston climate?

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15311 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Helmet: HJC. Good bang for the buck.
Insurance: Dairyland
Protective gear is very personal. Lots to choose from. I have a pair of Defender Kevlar lined jeans that I love. And good boots are a must. I like Bates. RAM mount for your phone. And a BMW specific (euro) power adapter with USB to keep your phone charged.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16087 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

...Who do we like for full face helmets...

I can't help much with the other aspects, but for helmets I would look for one with a Snell sticker, not just ANSI. Historically, Snell testing and ratings were more stringent.

As I said earlier, fit and comfort are your highest priority, after a suitable safety rating. Go to your local MC dealers, not just the BMW shop, and try them all on. Buy the best fit, which should be snug enough that the helmet moves with your head when you shake it vigorously. Avoid dark colors, as they will get hotter than white or a light color. With one exception, all mine were white.

DO NOT GO CHEAP!!!

--------------------------
Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
-- H L Mencken

I always prefer reality when I can figure out what it is.
-- JALLEN 10/18/18

Posts: 9158 | Location: Illinois farm country | Registered: November 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Thanks, leaning a bit toward Shoei, really like the RF1200 that my dad has, he's since sold the RF1100 that I thought he had as an extra.
Have also heard that Snell testing is a higher standard than DOT.

Will have to look into a good phone mount for a Galaxy Note5

Posts: 15311 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
Arai and Shoei make top tier helmets. Fit is the most important thing though and people have different head shapes. Shoei helmets fit my head best, but many friends have Arai heads.

Posts: 10938 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
http://www.helmetshop.com/

great prices, wide selection available from HJC to Shoei etc....

I prefer a modular full face to a regular full face, they make them with internal flip down sun shades so you don't have to change the main flip down shield.

Geico has good rates on motorcycles and they pay claims on time

doodads and gadgets, JP Cycle sells metric and vtwin products, you may find it first there then shop for it.

I'd suggest a RAM-Mount ball mount system, Link to Ram Stuff and for attachments I'd suggest two, a cup holder for bottles of water and the X-Grip Link allows you to put your iPhone right at your fingertips and sight for GPS use

If you get a helmet with BT you can connect to your phone for GPS instructions, tunes, and if you wish take and make a call.

Having the phone readily visible and accessible is a good thing so you'll have all the tools it offers you for nav, comm and entertainment.

Also install a good power port if the bike doesn't have one so you can run a charger to your phone if you are doing a long ride and using the phones GPS and music interface.

Posts: 23436 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Perception
posted Hide Post
quote:
Thanks, leaning a bit toward Shoei, really like the RF1200 that my dad has, he's since sold the RF1100 that I thought he had as an extra.
Have also heard that Snell testing is a higher standard than DOT.

Will have to look into a good phone mount for a Galaxy Note5

Fit is probably going to be the deciding factor between those two helmet brands. They both make great helmets, but everything I've ever read said one or the other will fit you best, there isn't a lot of middle ground.

As suggested above, RAM mounts are great. that's what I used, and when I totaled my bike the RAM and GPS was still in one piece attached to the handlebars while most of the rest of the bike wasn't.

"The people hate the lizards and the lizards rule the people."
"Odd," said Arthur, "I thought you said it was a democracy."
"I did," said Ford, "it is."
"So," said Arthur, hoping he wasn't sounding ridiculously obtuse, "why don't the people get rid of the lizards?"
"It honestly doesn't occur to them. They've all got the vote, so they all pretty much assume that the government they've voted in more or less approximates the government they want."
"You mean they actually vote for the lizards."
"Oh yes," said Ford with a shrug, "of course."
"But," said Arthur, going for the big one again, "why?"
"Because if they didn't vote for a lizard, then the wrong lizard might get in."

Posts: 3514 | Location: Two blocks from the Center of the Universe | Registered: December 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Perception:
Fit is probably going to be the deciding factor between those two helmet brands. They both make great helmets, but everything I've ever read said one or the other will fit you best, there isn't a lot of middle ground.

True, you need to try them on, the Shoei was too narrow for my melon, the HJC fit very well and was half the cost of the uber brands...

Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Will have to stop in the local cyclegear for some test fits.
I know the RF1100 & RF1200 that my dad had/has are both comfortable, but haven't tested any other brands.

Waiting on a call back from my ins agent for a quote.

Old, Slow,
but Lucky!
Picture of dsmack
posted Hide Post
I've had very good experiences with Nationwide Insurance on both autos and m/c.

When I had my crash down in Oregon a year and a half ago, they treated me very well, replacing my Shoei helmet and paying to replace my Aerostich Roadcrafter, Gerbing gloves, etc. Not a single argument from the claim adjuster, but I DID have full coverage and ACV riders which made a big difference in payout.

Unfortunately, rates vary tremendously based on home location, age, driving record, etc., so it's hard to tell anything without making many phone calls and listening to sales pitches! Confused

Good luck with your new bike. It has undoubtedly been loving maintained by V-Tail over it's life. Should be a stellar ride for many more miles/smiles!

Don

Posts: 3418 | Location: Spokane, WA | Registered: March 15, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
fugitive from reality
Picture of SgtGold
posted Hide Post
quote:
Who do we like for full face helmets.
Preferred insurance carriers (will be getting a quote from my current auto carrier).
Other necessary gear, specifically for hot/humid Houston climate?

I have ridden in Shoei, Arai, Nolan, Schuberth, and Bell. Except for the Bell all the helmets have been full faced. Arai is the only brand where the ventilation actually worked behind a large windscreen. Couple that with the fact that I have an Arai shaped head and the choice is pretty simple for me. Arai is expensive, but the comfort level is worth it AFAIC. I know several riders with HJC helmets and they like them a lot. I've never used them but they are very popular.

A word of advice on buying a helmet. If you don't know how a motorcycle helmet is supposed to fit then please don't shop bottom dollar and try to go mail order. The proper fit of the helmet is the single most important factor in terms of comfort and safety. Find a shop with a large selection and let someone help you.

A summer jacket only works when you wear it, so for the heat I use a Firstgear Mesh Tex jacket. It's a flow through mesh jacket with impact padding. I use Motoport overpants, but Dragging Jeans or some other type of kevelar pants would also work.

My agent got me a great rate through Progressive, but YMMV. It pays to shop around. The good news is BMW's are some of the cheapest bikes to insure.

Posts: 7073 | Location: Newyorkistan | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Arai is the helmet that fit my head. Very nice and comfortable. As noted above, has good ventilation. Also has a wider and taller viewing area.

For me, Progressive beat Dairyland hands down. Was on the phone with Dairyland and they went line by line and couldn't beat Progressive, on either bike.

Posts: 10055 | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
10 November, 1775
Picture of MarinetoRN
posted Hide Post
Look...Make the ride back. Take a week off and enjoy the trip in short spurts. I usually go about two hours max when I take a trip. Forget packing water. It gets warm. When you stop is a good time to get a cold bottle or glass. Stay off I-10 whenever possible. You'll learn an awful lot about your bike on a trip like this. Try on the helmet. DO NOT buy online. All Large's are not the same. If you're getting a full face, make sure it has plenty of padding across the forehead. Frequent stops on a long trip is the key to and enjoyable ride. Just me 2cents worth.

SiGArm'd

P220ST X2, 1911 Revolution, P245, P229 RTTEQ/ST .40 X2, P226ST, Mosquito
Other weaponry not SIG

Glocks are ugly.
I don't like repeat offenders, I like dead offenders.

Posts: 2471 | Location: Eastern NC | Registered: August 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bodhisattva
posted Hide Post
"Soft hooks" are handy for tieing down. Do not compress the fork down to the seals. But your need to have it tight enough to hold the wheel straight against the front of the bed. If you have a spray in liner, that helps. Not a fan of plastic liners as they are slick and add a degree of difficulty when loading and unloading. Hauling with the tailgate down is no problem but if you are bringing ramps, have something to tie them in to keep them away from the bike as well as to keep them from sliding out the back.

Your truck being a 2wd helps, as the slightly higher ride height of a 4wd makes loading/unloading a bit more difficult. I like to find a place where the back wheels of the truck sit a little lower or the end of the ramp a bit higher to lessen the angle of the ramp. If you only have one ramp, you'll probably need something to use as a step up to the tailgate.

I've been hauling street bikes in trucks for ~25 years and to be honest, I'm about over it. Borrow or rent a trailer. They're just way easier and safer to load and unload. AFAIK Uhaul does not rent open trailers one way, so you'd have to haul it there empty.

Helmets. Shoei generally fit rounder heads. Traditional Arai fit is more "long oval" shape but they do make round helmets now, too. I was in a shop today and the Arais had a sticker on the face shield with info including the head shape each is designed for. I have tried 2 modular helmets and I find the utility of the flip up chin bar to be very limited, especially in light of the fact that they are LOUD. Much louder than a regular full face helmet. Which brings me to our next point: wind noise. At highway speeds, it is absolutely loud enough to damage your hearing, especially over time. I always wear earplugs when I ride. DOT and Snell certifications are different but one is not better than the other. Snell tests for harder impacts but that doesn't make them "better" as the liner may not protect you as well as a DOT cert liner in a lower impact crash. Vice versa with the DOT test. They also use a different shape anvil in their tests. LOTS OF HELMETS TODAY ARE SNELL AND DOT APPROVED so why not get one that's both.

As others have said, buy the best MOTORCYCLE SPECIFIC safety gear you can afford. Don't go riding in a pair of work gloves, they will come apart at the seams in a heartbeat if you go down.

Posts: 11507 | Location: Michigan | Registered: July 01, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Suppressed
posted Hide Post
Supposedly, all DOT and Snell helmets will protect your head adequately. I have Arai and Shoei top quality helmets. I also have a $150 Nolan helmet that I bought because it was the only one available in hi-viz. The face shield on the cheap helmet never sealed properly and when I turned my head at high speed, the shield would open slightly. Also, when I rode in temperatures below 20 degrees Fahrenheit, my forehead would freeze where it leaked. I think the premium helmet companies pay more attention to details, comfort, and weight.

Posts: 3230 | Location: MD | Registered: March 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post