SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Advice Sought - Motorcycle Purchase
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Advice Sought - Motorcycle Purchase Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
An F-150 should be up to the job, and then some. Just verify the bike will fit straight as opposed to angling (greater stability at speed), bring plenty of stuff to tie it with, and a way to lock it in the bed when you stop at a motel.

Oh, and I'll add that the F-150 probably has better air conditioning than the bike!

--------------------------
Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
-- H L Mencken

I always prefer reality when I can figure out what it is.
-- JALLEN 10/18/18

Posts: 9127 | Location: Illinois farm country | Registered: November 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
I definitely have a plethora of straps, so I should be good there.
Assuming the online length measurements are tip of front wheel to taillight, I'd have 2.5" at the rear, and figure something like a foot or so between contact patch on the rear tire & the taillight would put the rear tire well within the length available in the bed.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15154 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
blame canada
Picture of AKSuperDually
posted Hide Post
Leave some suspension travel when you're ratcheting it down. I've seen a few guys wrench them down too tight.

I use an only strap tied into a loop, but webbing works well in tying down the handlebars.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"The trouble with our Liberal friends...is not that they're ignorant, it's just that they know so much that isn't so." Ronald Reagan, 1964
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Arguing with some people is like playing chess with a pigeon. It doesn't matter how good I am at chess, the pigeon will just take a shit on the board, strut around knocking over all the pieces and act like it won.. and in some cases it will insult you at the same time." DevlDogs55, 2014 Big Grin
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

www.rikrlandvs.com

Posts: 13939 | Location: On the mouth of the great Kenai River | Registered: June 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Get V-Tail to measure the height of the tail light to see if it will clear your tail gate. If not, maybe he can remove it for you. Don't try padding it.

2-1/2" isn't enough clearance to insure they won't contact each other during the trip.

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
-- H L Mencken

-- JALLEN 10/18/18

Posts: 9127 | Location: Illinois farm country | Registered: November 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
I have never put a motorcycle into a pickup truck, so this might be a really dumb question, but I'll ask it anyway.

Does the tailgate have to be closed? Would there be a problem leaving it open?

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30545 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Only a legal question, if he can run with it down. If the bike is tight enough, I wouldn't worry.

The guy who bought my bike put the gate up, but it cleared the tail light as it was a small truck.

-- H L Mencken

-- JALLEN 10/18/18

Dirty Boat Guy
Picture of parallel
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
I have never put a motorcycle into a pickup truck, so this might be a really dumb question, but I'll ask it anyway.

Does the tailgate have to be closed? Would there be a problem leaving it open?

No. I've hauled my old Triumph Scrambler with the tailgate down with no issues. Just be sure to strap her in good and tight.

A penny saved is a government oversight.

Posts: 6708 | Location: New Orleans Area | Registered: January 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Tailgate will have to be down. My above measurements are front bulkhead to edge of down tailgate. Short bed crew cab F150.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15154 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by P250UA5:
Tailgate will have to be down. My above measurements are front bulkhead to edge of down tailgate. Short bed crew cab F150.
OK, so the way I'm looking at it, the real concern is from the front of the truck bed to the rear axle of the motorcycle. The point of contact for the rear tire would be directly under the center of the axle, ¿si?

Anything aft of this point would not impose a requirement on the bed length.

Is my thinking correct on this? Again, I have never put a motorcycle in a truck, so I might not know what I'm talking about.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30545 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If the rear wheel is on the tailgate and not on the bed itself, I'd strongly advise against it. One big bump will overstress the supports holding the tailgate, and you'll have BMW all over the road.

P.S. -- V-Tail, you figure it right, regarding the axle being the point of contact, and if that's solidly in the bed, you should be OK.

By the way, from the earlier post about the truck, I assumed a standard bed, not a short bed.

-- H L Mencken

-- JALLEN 10/18/18

Member!
posted Hide Post
I'd agree with the trucking option. I found out the hard way, that it's not my back, butt, condition that can't take the long rides it is my freaking wrist and hand on the throttle. After a couple of hours, the thumbpad area of my palm of my right hand is in agony from the squeeze and twist (left hand is OK since it doesn't twist). Carpal tunnel from lifting weights. Didn't realize it from the weights since it's a quick heavy and repetitious relaxes, but the simple and minor throttle squeeze and twist over time REALLY made it ache.

Posts: 4340 | Location: Boise, ID USA | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ironbutt
posted Hide Post
I haven't read every post, so all this may have been covered already. Maybe you've deduced from my handle that I'm a member of the Iron Butt Assn. & I've done a "few" long distance rides.

While TX to FL is easily do-able, I'd be hesitant to ride it on a bike that I haven't put a few thousand familiarization miles on around home. I'd rather haul it in my pickup or a trailer.

------------------------------------------------

"It's hard to imagine a more stupid or dangerous way of making decisions, than by putting those decisions in the hands of people who pay no price for being wrong."
Thomas Sowell

Posts: 2048 | Location: PA | Registered: September 01, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
Putting an 8' 2x10 under the front and rear tires of the bike will take most off the load off the tailgate. Screw a couple 2x4 blocks on each side of the front and rear wheels to keep them from shifting left or right. You want to compress the motorcycle's suspension a fair bit when strapping it down. You don't want your tie downs losing tension went you hit bumps and chance the motorcycle shifting. That doesn't mean it should be completely compressed.

I-10 and I-75 aren't too bad, but you couldn't pay me to ride I-4 between Tampa and Orlando and I've ridden the Ike, Dan Ryan, Kennedy, and LSD in Chicago.

Posts: 10823 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
If you truck it, leave your tailgate at home.

I have a Lariate, they remove/install easy-peasy.

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43810 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Chilihead and Barbeque Aficionado
Picture of 2Adefender
posted Hide Post
Rent a U-haul trailer if it won't fit in the bed. They're not that expensive.

The Second Amendment is not about hunting or sport shooting.

Posts: 10487 | Location: FL | Registered: December 29, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ridewv
posted Hide Post
The fly and ride sounds just fine on a just serviced motorcycle. 750cc Flying Brick....K75S?

I bought a 1991 K100RS in Portland OR back in 2000, flew out and rode it around Oregon and Washington then home to WV. I had confirmed the tires were good, oil recently changed and the routine services had been done so I didn't have any real concern.

Seller even picked me up at the airport and put me up in his home for the night. LOL he told me his girl friend had left for the night telling him he didn't even know me and I could be a serial killer for all he knew!

Great guy, great bike that I wish I still owned, and great ride.

No car is as much fun to drive, as any motorcycle is to ride.

Posts: 7039 | Location: Northern WV | Registered: January 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Did a shorter trip like this with a friend in June. PA to Indianapolis. Truck with a trailer. Test ride in Indianapolis, overnight in a hotel, drive home next day.

This worked out great. We would have been fine, any weather, heat, cold, etc. We were dry and air conditioned 100% of the time. I have done motorcycling in the rain - miserable experience.

Borrow or rent a trailer. Make/take a ramp to get it in/out. It will make the trip a great one, as it should be.

Your brick is a great bike. You'll love it. Mine is an airhead, R100S, from '77. My friends, that we went to pick up, is a 1984, R100RT. Smooth, strong machines. You'll find your weaknesses soon enough. Pick it up with a truck and trailer.

Posts: 2130 | Location: south central Pennsylvania | Registered: November 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parallel:
...Triumph Scrambler...

Very cool! I restored a BSA Thunderbolt, rode it a while, then lost it in a flood.

Extra points if you post a picture, with or without the trailer. Wink

-- H L Mencken

-- JALLEN 10/18/18

posted Hide Post
You Southerners may correct me on this, but isn't I-10 a long series of potholes that have semis in them?

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16005 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That rug really tied
the room together.
Picture of bubbatime
posted Hide Post
I bought a gently used motorcycle a few weeks ago. Guy said, "Dont worry about the oil. I just had it changed. You should be good to go for a while."

When I got it home, I looked for oil in the sight glass (none) In fact it was a quart low (only holds 2.1 quarts total) and was blacker and dirtier than snot.

Just changed the oil my ass.

Trust, but verify, what others say.

Posts: 6660 | Location: Floriduh | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post