SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Advice Sought - Motorcycle Purchase
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Advice Sought - Motorcycle Purchase Login/Join 
blame canada
Picture of AKSuperDually
posted Hide Post
Borrowed gear, no distance riding experience...are you licensed? There's already a lot of good advice here. The model of bike matters..a lot. You should share what you're buying so we can give more specific advice.

For a fairly inexperienced rider, I'd recommend that you split the trip up even more. I have a feeling that you're going to be pretty tired after the first 300 miles. I recommend a lot of breaks. Light food/meals. Have the ability to stay in a hotel. Don't push your timeline or schedule. Don't push through bad weather. Don't be afraid to throw in the towel, and rent a uhaul pickup if you catch yourself or the bike being not up for the trip. There's no shame in recognizing your limits.

It'll be a learning experience, and it'll be an adventure. Set yourself up for success as much as you are able. If the gear you are borrowing doesn't fit well, or isn't quality gear...seriously consider buying good gear.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"The trouble with our Liberal friends...is not that they're ignorant, it's just that they know so much that isn't so." Ronald Reagan, 1964
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Arguing with some people is like playing chess with a pigeon. It doesn't matter how good I am at chess, the pigeon will just take a shit on the board, strut around knocking over all the pieces and act like it won.. and in some cases it will insult you at the same time." DevlDogs55, 2014 Big Grin

www.rikrlandvs.com

Posts: 13957 | Location: On the mouth of the great Kenai River | Registered: June 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by P250UA5:
The bike is a 750cc sport touring flying brick.
Buying from an individual.

All still dependent on the green light from the CFO. Big Grin
If it looks anything like this one, I strongly suggest having it prepped for the trip at this place. I can orchestrate the logistics.

Tom really knows what he's doing and it will be in 110% condition before he releases it.

The comment about buying, not borrowing, a good quality helmet is spot on. The inner lining / padding is compressible and molds itself to the user's head shape. Get your own, from a shop that knows what they are doing. It needs to fit correctly. Just as each of us has a different shaped head, different helmet brands have different shapes. Some are more round, some are more oval, etc. I taught the MSF safety course for many years. When questioned by non-believers about the value of a helmet, our stock reply was "If you have a ten dollar brain, get a ten dollar helmet."

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30669 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The success of a solution usually depends upon your point of view
posted Hide Post
Way too many variables. some more information would get you more targeted advice.

What is the bike?
What is your riding experience?
How much time do you have?

Generally speaking;
-sunscreen
-lots of water. (cool, not cold)
-rain gear
-15 minutes off the bike for every 100 miles on the bike.
-Meals at sit down style restaurants instead of fast food.
Don't eat heavy meals.
-Basic tool kit if you know what to do with it.

“We truly live in a wondrous age of stupid.” - 83v45magna

"I think it's important that people understand free speech doesn't mean free from consequences societally or politically or culturally."
-Pranjit Kalita, founder and CIO of Birkoa Capital Management

Posts: 3851 | Location: Jacksonville, FL | Registered: September 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Thanks for all that has been posted so far.
The bike is indeed the one above, given the green light, I'd be the next owner of VTail's BMW K75S.

With all that I've read so far, it's sounding like driving out & hauling it back may be the better option, as much as appeal as the long ride home has. May be better to get acquainted with the bike on my terms on familiar ground.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15318 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
blame canada
Picture of AKSuperDually
posted Hide Post
That sounds like a wise choice. You'll be making long trips soon enough.

"The trouble with our Liberal friends...is not that they're ignorant, it's just that they know so much that isn't so." Ronald Reagan, 1964
"Arguing with some people is like playing chess with a pigeon. It doesn't matter how good I am at chess, the pigeon will just take a shit on the board, strut around knocking over all the pieces and act like it won.. and in some cases it will insult you at the same time." DevlDogs55, 2014 Big Grin

www.rikrlandvs.com

Posts: 13957 | Location: On the mouth of the great Kenai River | Registered: June 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Thanks for all that has been posted so far.
The bike is indeed the one above, given the green light, I'd be the next owner of VTail's BMW K75S.

With all that I've read so far, it's sounding like driving out & hauling it back may be the better option, as much as appeal as the long ride home has. May be better to get acquainted with the bike on my terms on familiar ground.
When we had discussed this, I was under the impression that you were an experienced road rider. If that is not the case, the trip would still be doable, but a mandatory safety condition would be that you remove ALL time pressure. Short legs, plenty of rest, etc.

Relating this to aviation: "Get-there-itis" is a major contributing factor to many fatalities.

It would be a terrible idea to combine an unfamiliar motorcycle, a rider who is not experienced in road riding, and time pressure to complete the trip. If you can allocate the time to do this in a relaxed manner, it will be a lot safer.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30669 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
blame canada
Picture of AKSuperDually
posted Hide Post
Good advice from Vtail.

You can certainly do this...with good gear, and no pressure. Don't even make hotel reservations, just stop at dinner time, and find a hotel from the restaurant. Sit down meals.

www.rikrlandvs.com

Chilihead and Barbeque Aficionado
Picture of 2Adefender
posted Hide Post
My advice would be don't do the ride now. You get caught out in some of the strong summer thunderstorms we have, and you will regret it. Wait till the dry season, or have it shipped to you.

The Second Amendment is not about hunting or sport shooting.

Posts: 10491 | Location: FL | Registered: December 29, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
More good points.
Given the bi-polar nature of Gulf Coast weather this time of year, a heavy storm is a possibility just about anywhere along the route.

Plus, if we were to make it into a mini-vacation, the wife would want to come as well, and having no passenger carrying experience would definitely dictate taking the truck.

Posts: 15318 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Conveniently located directly
above the center of the Earth
Picture of signewt
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigmonkey:
What condition are you in?
How much experience do you have rding?
Longest and times you have driven for extensive distances?

these are even more essential than the mechanical bike condition IMHO.

I've retired from riding after 40+ years on the road. Very challenging physically, and very challenging road conditions over that length of trip for the beginner.

**************~~~~~~~~~~
"I've been on this rock too long to bother with these liars any more."
~SIGforum advisor~
"When the pain of staying the same outweighs the pain of change, then change will come."~~sigmonkey

Posts: 9854 | Location: sunny Orygun | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
All still dependent on the green light from the CFO. Big Grin

What, the AFE hasn't been approved yet? Good luck! I'm not a biker, but I like those BMWs.

P229

Posts: 3825 | Location: Sacramento, CA | Registered: November 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
Would not be a bad idea per VTail's suggestion on having a shop go over it before you leave considering the length of the trip

As to gear, rainsuit - Frogtoggs, Helmet, gloves, boots, water bottle, smartphone, and I'd skip running I-75 to I-10. 75 is a frigging race track from Tampa to Gainesville heck to Atlanta... 6 to 8 lanes of idiots, tired vacationers all wanting to get home.

From Vtails you can take 441 North to Hwy 44 West over to 41 North to Williston, then 27 ALt over to 19 to Tallahassee, all 4 lane highways, light traffic, plenty of places to stop to eat, pee, gas and you'll make decent time, see FL farmland and avoid the nuts on the interstate.

Once you have your legs under you then either find a back route to Alabama or jump on 10 in Tallahassee.

I wouldn't start off having to run 85 MPH on two of the busiest interstates in Florida...

Of course bringing the wife, a trailer and spending a few days on the coast riding it around on back roads then hauling it home isn't a bad idea either.

Posts: 23448 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
You don’t fix faith,
River. It fixes you.

Picture of Yanert98
posted Hide Post
quote:
remove ALL time pressure. Short legs, plenty of rest, etc.

That is great advice.

If you take your time and enjoy the ride, then it's definitely doable.

In a perfect world you would have your own gear and lot's of experience, but that's not always the case. I've made several long trips when I was younger on new bikes. Showed up with only my personal helmet, gloves, and boots. Borrowed the rain gear, etc. I just couldn't afford all that stuff right up front.

Take it easy and have fun. If you're in a rush and find yourself driving in conditions outside your 'fun zone' take a break. Accidents are more likely to occur when you're pushing things to "stay on schedule".

----------------------------------
"If you are not prepared to use force to defend civilization, then be prepared to accept barbarism.." - Thomas Sowell

Posts: 2673 | Location: Migrating with the Seasons | Registered: September 26, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Crusty old
curmudgeon
Picture of Jimbo54
posted Hide Post
quote:
More good points.
Given the bi-polar nature of Gulf Coast weather this time of year, a heavy storm is a possibility just about anywhere along the route.

Plus, if we were to make it into a mini-vacation, the wife would want to come as well, and having no passenger carrying experience would definitely dictate taking the truck.

This makes the most sense. It takes a little time to get used to a new bike and the best way to do that is near your home on familiar secondary roads. It'll also give you time to purchase your gear to fit your needs.

Jim

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll have to be a horrible warning" -Catherine Aird

Posts: 9791 | Location: The right side of Washington State | Registered: September 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
When you fall, I will be there to catch you -With love, the floor
posted Hide Post
quote:
t's sounding like driving out & hauling it back may be the better option

there are many companies that offer bike transport. It probably would be a lot cheaper than a two way trip. Towing a bike you're not going to make good time.

As gfar as riding it back, you stated you have experience only in local riding. you're first trip shouldn't be on interstates at high speeds with large commercial traffic all around. Scaring the crap out of yourself on the first trip isn't the best way to go.

900 miles in two days??? doable for an experienced rider. Pushing it for someone new to that type of riding is difficult.

As far as a helmet, many have already said it. Buy a new one for yourself. Almost every weekend we do trips that usually cover 200 miles through the back roads of NH, Vt. and ME. When I get off the bike, I'm beat. Not 25 any longer.

I'd say doing the trip alone isn't advisable. At least not your first.

Look into a good bike road service policy. AMA has one. My State Farm includes it in my MC policy. But if you ever need road service, the costs equal that of towing in a boat.

Richard Scalzo
Epping, NH

http://www.bigeastakitarescue.net

Posts: 5803 | Location: Epping, NH | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rscalzo:
there are many companies that offer bike transport. It probably would be a lot cheaper than a two way trip. Towing a bike you're not going to make good time.

A few quick quotes looks to be in the $5-700 range to ship it.
Some quick math & assuming the bike will fit in the back of the truck, driving would cost roughly $200 in fuel, plus a couple meals & a night in a hotel = mini-vacation.

posted Hide Post
Saw a forum member comment this on a video of a motorcycle once, and it's my new favorite piece of advice for everyone, in every situation ever.

Dress for the slide, not for the ride.

May our caskets be made of hundred-year oak, and may we plant those trees tomorrow.

Posts: 813 | Location: Eastern Iowa | Registered: January 03, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
...assuming the bike will fit in the back of the truck...

OK, now we're going to need info on the truck -- how else can we fulfill our roles as Mother Hens if you don't give the details? Razz

Seriously, fit can be an issue. I managed to put my GL1100 into the bed of a Ford Ranger, but the guy buying it was highly experienced in transporting bikes, a previous BMW owner (Airheads), one of the best drivers and pilots I knew, and it was a short haul of about 50 miles.

Yeah, a few days of road tripping with your wife is a great idea, done right. I'd choose that option over riding it back or shipping it. Of course, knowing it's V-Tail's bike, we know you'll be taken care of, as will the bike, and if you choose to ship it, V-Tail will make sure everything is OK on his end.

So, the truck?

--------------------------
Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
-- H L Mencken

I always prefer reality when I can figure out what it is.
-- JALLEN 10/18/18

Posts: 9158 | Location: Illinois farm country | Registered: November 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Truck is a 2WD 2016 F150. I've measured & the bed is long enough based on the 87.5" length spec I've found online for the K75; have 90" of bed length available if loading in line with the truck.
Angling the bike across the bed, I haven't measured.

A 500lb bike is within the weight capacity of the truck as well.

Was that you
or the dog?
Picture of SHOOTIN BLANKS
posted Hide Post
Trailer...
But should you decide to ride the estimated time is 13 hours and change. This time of year I would be in the saddle at sunrise and off the road by early afternoon and in a hotel pool re-hydrating for the day. Hit it again at sunrise day 2. The heat is what kills great rides. It saps your strength, becomes a distraction and is largely avoidable.

Posts: 1633 | Location: PA | Registered: February 11, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post