SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Advice Sought - Motorcycle Purchase
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Advice Sought - Motorcycle Purchase Login/Join 
Picture of P250UA5
posted
Think I may be getting close to getting a green light from the CFO on a motorcycle purchase.
The one I have my eye on is a few states away & considering a fly out, ride back trip.

What advice do you have when it comes to making a long distance (Orlando FL to Houston TX) trip on 2 wheels?

This message has been edited. Last edited by: P250UA5,

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15314 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
Do you have good quality rain gear? Rain suit of course, and gloves, and rain boots?

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30663 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
What kind of bike are we talking about here? If you can, have the bike checked over thoroughly before you leave Florida. I would be hesitant to make a trip of that distance on a used (I am guessing its used) bike without a full checkup.
Also, how often have you done a long distance ride? For me, I cant do much more than 700 miles a day. Also, your route is important. I try to avoid most large cities and long stretches of interstate highways and mostly travel back roads. This adds to travel time but is way more scenic, way more relaxed and possibly safer. There is also less traffic and better food.
One of things I like most about motorcycling is getting to see more of the country than you see from a car and I travel with that in mind,
Enjoy your trip.
Edit: The 700 miles? That's the maximum for me. I usually shoot for 500.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: YooperSigs,

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16088 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The first thing I'd want to know is the age and condition of the bike, assuming you're buying it used.

Most motorcycles tend to sit a lot and get ignored, and most sellers are not as motivated as V-Tail, offering to have it gone through by his dealer before delivering it.

Beyond that, a long trip across the South could bring on heat exhaustion pretty easily, so good sun protection and plenty of water would be my main concerns.

--------------------------
Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
-- H L Mencken

I always prefer reality when I can figure out what it is.
-- JALLEN 10/18/18

Posts: 9158 | Location: Illinois farm country | Registered: November 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
My SIL is the expert, he's into Iron Butt and has made quite a few long distance trips. I'll ask him, but right off the bat:
Get a Camelback-type water bag with hose. Hopefully, the MC is a bagger--carry more water in an insulated, quart to half-gallon container in the bag;
Carry a Spot locating device. Real comfort for family to know where you are.

Posts: 13255 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Tire and battery condition should be #1&2 on your check list before setting out.

The “POLICE"
Their job Is To Save Your Ass,
Not Kiss It

The muzzle end of a .45 pretty much says "go away" in any language - Clint Smith

Posts: 2890 | Location: See der Rabbits, Iowa | Registered: June 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
Don't be afraid to take a break every half tank vs pushing yourself.

When exiting the interstate remember truckers use the same off and on ramps and as such, they my drop refrigerant on the outside portions (right where you are when setting up to enter) of the curves. Touch your front brake and it may be just like on ice. (Personal experience speaking)

If after dark, do not be afraid of putting on a reflective vest. Few will see you and half of those who do wont's care and will forget you are there in the blink of an eye.

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

"If dogs don't go to Heaven, I want to go where they go" Will Rogers

Posts: 14038 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Never miss an
opportunity to STFU
posted Hide Post
Like the man said, take frequent breaks, and kept hydrated. Good eye protection is a must, also a helmet. Don't push it, when you get tired, stop for the night.

Never be more than one step away from your sword-Old Greek Wisdom

Posts: 2294 | Location: SE Mich-- USA | Registered: September 10, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
What motorcycle? How much mileage? Condition of tires? When was most recent required service?
Does it have Saddle bags for rain gear and personal stuff?

All "Need to know" before you begin the fly out to purchase the motorcycle.

"Some people are alive today because it's against the law to kill them".

Posts: 8228 | Location: Arizona | Registered: August 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Crusty old
curmudgeon
Picture of Jimbo54
posted Hide Post
You didn't say that you have riding gear already. If not, get the best quality you can afford. Don't go cheap, they really are a poster item for "you get what you pay for".

As hot as it might get on that trip, consider getting a cool vest. They will keep you from getting dehydrated and make the ride comfortable.

Get a flat tire kit. The only time you'll need it is out in the middle of nowhere. Never fails.

There is a lot more to add, but let others chime in.

Jim

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll have to be a horrible warning" -Catherine Aird

Posts: 9791 | Location: The right side of Washington State | Registered: September 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
What condition are you in?
How much experience do you have rding?
Longest and times you have driven for extensive distances?

HHo long ago were you regularly riding?

Familiarity with the operation of the bike in question?

I think more important that the questions on the trip and the bike are centered on you.

All the other things seem to have been addressed, so I thought I would bring my monkey wrench...

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43879 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Delmag Tech
posted Hide Post
I would suggest compression type underwear. I liked Under Armor boxer briefs when I took long trips, but there's many options out there. Anything unable to bunch-up is going to help. Especially if your not used to sitting in a saddle for extended periods.

Posts: 742 | Location: Jacksonville, FL | Registered: April 01, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Crusty old
curmudgeon
Picture of Jimbo54
posted Hide Post
Monkey makes a good point. If you are not experienced and in good shape you would be better off to rent a trailer, if you don't have one and drive to pick it up. A first long distance ride on an unfamiliar bike is inviting a disaster, especially if you have set yourself an unrealistic time frame.

Jim

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll have to be a horrible warning" -Catherine Aird

Posts: 9791 | Location: The right side of Washington State | Registered: September 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
Sounds like a great adventure, and you will have a good time. Plan the trip ahead for back roads, stay off the interstate as much as possible and you'll get to see more of America, from Orlando you can run the back roads easy up to Tallahassee and then down the coast over to Mobile.

So GPS/Phone, get an XGrip and mount from Ram MOunt, if the dealer doesnt' have them you can get them in Daytona At JP Cycles.

That way you can access maps, music, phone for emergency. If you are getting one of the new HD touring the phone syncs with BT to the infotainment system for GPS, Music, phone etc.

Weather wise a decent rain suit, Frog Toggs are good, inexpensive and work well. A helmet will be needed I think AL and LA have helmet requirements, FL doesn't but it's wise to get one, half helmets are good, full face can get a bit stuffy, you need to try them on, full face advantage if you hit bad weather.

Phone, Gun, Knife, wallet, map, but lose the watch man....

Posts: 23441 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
A few more details:
If I decide to fly out ride back, the bike will be fresh from a full service. Otherwise it'll be drive out & haul it back.

Gear: Will likely borrow helmet, jacket, gloves from my dad, he's offered in the even I get a bike.
The bike does have saddlebags, and as far as condition, I have confidence in the seller. newtoSig765 was on the right track. Wink

Route would be predominantly I10 from FL to TX. Given that it's about 900 miles, I'm thinking it should be split in to a 2 day trip, with a stop somewhere between Pensacola & New Orleans, depending on how the progress is at that point. Google maps estimates 14 hours.

As for me, I consider myself in good shape, but have mostly only done in town riding, no real long distance trips to speak of.

Posts: 15314 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Old, Slow,
but Lucky!
Picture of dsmack
posted Hide Post
I agree with the Monkey... there is an excellent probability that the limiting factor will be your condition and readiness for long days in the saddle.

Listen to your body. Stay well hydrated, don't be hesitant to pull into a motel when you are getting tired.

I have made many long days in the saddle without problems, but I had worked my way up to the effort with increasing miles under my fanny for a few weeks prior to the really long days.

As others mentioned, it is difficult to give any recommendations without knowing any specifics about the bike! World of difference between putting big miles on a 250 dirt bike vs a cruiser or Sport Touring bike set up for the task.

Good Luck!
Don

Posts: 3418 | Location: Spokane, WA | Registered: March 15, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
Are you buying from a dealer or individual, what bike are you getting, just curious.

Posts: 23441 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by P250UA5:
...Will likely borrow helmet...

Don't do that!!!

You'll need a good one when you get back anyway, so buy it now, before the trip, so you can break it in. Spend a lot of money on it. (You know what I mean! Wink)

Your father's helmet is already molded to his head, even if it's the right size for you, so it won't be a good, safe fit. Fit and comfort are paramount to safety -- an uncomfortable helmet may not be on your head when you need it the most.

Breaking in a helmet is easy, you just wear it while watching TV or cruising SigForum for an hour or so, then put it away for a day and try it again. It should fit a lot better and more comfortably than when you first put it on.

The suggestion to consider open-faced is good, so long as you get a full-face visor (are they still available?). I was wearing a good, open-face Bell with Porsche Design sunglasses, and sitting behind a Gold Wing fairing, when a small pebble fell from a gravel truck and struck my right eye. A full-face shield would have stopped it, as would a full-face helmet.

--------------------------
Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
-- H L Mencken

I always prefer reality when I can figure out what it is.
-- JALLEN 10/18/18

Posts: 9158 | Location: Illinois farm country | Registered: November 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
The bike is a 750cc sport touring flying brick.
Buying from an individual.

All still dependent on the green light from the CFO. Big Grin

Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by newtoSig765:
quote:
Originally posted by P250UA5:
...Will likely borrow helmet...

Don't do that!!!

You'll need a good one when you get back anyway, so buy it now, before the trip, so you can break it in. Spend a lot of money on it. (You know what I mean! Wink)

Your father's helmet is already molded to his head, even if it's the right size for you, so it won't be a good, safe fit. Fit and comfort are paramount to safety -- an uncomfortable helmet may not be on your head when you need it the most.

Breaking in a helmet is easy, you just wear it while watching TV or cruising SigForum for an hour or so, then put it away for a day and try it again. It should fit a lot better and more comfortably than when you first put it on.

The suggestion to consider open-faced is good, so long as you get a full-face visor (are they still available?). I was wearing a good, open-face Bell with Porsche Design sunglasses, and sitting behind a Gold Wing fairing, when a small pebble fell from a gravel truck and struck my right eye. A full-face shield would have stopped it, as would a full-face helmet.

My dad actually has 2 Shoei helmets, a brand new RF-1200 & a couple year old RF-1100.
The 1100 that he would loan me wasn't used much (he bought it when we would ride my brother-in-law's Shadow).