SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Giving the LE thing a last try
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Giving the LE thing a last try Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Edmond:
quote:
Originally posted by MikeinNC:
Check "Other" when the box comes up for self identification....

many departments are constantly trying to better balance their Affirmative Action ratios....(sighs and shakes his head
(I know that the better person should get the job-but I have seen departmental higher up pass twenty qualified persons to get to a minority application package)

Also, realize that some agencies will routinely pass applicants on the first application package....for the same reasons I just mentioned...

It's not right, it's not how it should go, and it certainly cannot be proven....but it happens

I'm the "wrong" minority and when I say that, I'm the minority they're not looking to hire.

How many Chinamen you seen in LE (besides in China)? Big Grin

A buddy is Korean. Started copping in Georgia and now copping back home in Iowa. He had some interesting stories of being an Asian Yankee enforcing the law in some locations. The city next time me has a Laotian officer.

Don't get down. It takes a while but, you will get it.

Posts: 4054 | Registered: January 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
What part of CFL are you in? You can email me: L90814@hotmail.com

Posts: 848 | Location: FL | Registered: January 29, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Honky Lips
Picture of FenderBender
posted Hide Post
Las Vegas metro is hiring. As is LA county in Cali.

Posts: 8146 | Registered: July 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 71 TRUCK
posted Hide Post
Not sure what part of central FL you are in. I thought I heard Polk county was hiring. You may have to start in the jail first. Do you have your Fl law enforcement cert. Polk sponsored a friend of mine When he retired from the Coast Guard after almost 28 years. He works in the jail and after about a year they offered him a job on the road. He turned it down.

The Second Amendment to the United States Constitution.

A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.

As ratified by the States and authenticated by Thomas Jefferson, Secretary of State

NRA Life Member

Posts: 2571 | Location: Central Florida, south of the mouse | Registered: March 08, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by L90814:

E-mail sent.

quote:
Originally posted by FenderBender:

Didn't see us living in Vegas and definitely didn't see us living in Commiefornia. Almost no job is good enough to live in that state.

quote:
Originally posted by 71 TRUCK:
Not sure what part of central FL you are in. I thought I heard Polk county was hiring. You may have to start in the jail first. Do you have your Fl law enforcement cert. Polk sponsored a friend of mine When he retired from the Coast Guard after almost 28 years. He works in the jail and after about a year they offered him a job on the road. He turned it down.

I spoke with a recruiter a couple months ago. Sponsorship was working in the jail first. I listened to his pitch but said no thanks. Have no interest in working in the jail.

I do not have my cert but I've toyed with the idea of using some GI Bill to pay my own way. I'd still have more than enough GI Bill left to pay for grad school.

Posts: 13109 | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 71 TRUCK
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by L90814:

E-mail sent.

quote:
Originally posted by FenderBender:

Didn't see us living in Vegas and definitely didn't see us living in Commiefornia. Almost no job is good enough to live in that state.

quote:
Originally posted by 71 TRUCK:

I spoke with a recruiter a couple months ago. Sponsorship was working in the jail first. I listened to his pitch but said no thanks. Have no interest in working in the jail.

I do not have my cert but I've toyed with the idea of using some GI Bill to pay my own way. I'd still have more than enough GI Bill left to pay for grad school.

Have you looked into Fl Highway Patrol, Fish and Wildlife or State Fire marshals office. I think they are all sworn law enforcement officers.

The Second Amendment to the United States Constitution.

A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.

As ratified by the States and authenticated by Thomas Jefferson, Secretary of State

NRA Life Member

Posts: 2571 | Location: Central Florida, south of the mouse | Registered: March 08, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of AzMikeCFD102
posted Hide Post
Best of luck to you.

One word of advice, Never, ever give up.

Great success to you!

MAGA

NRA
Gun Owners of America

Posts: 388 | Location: Tucson, Az | Registered: August 17, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Don't give up.

It took me about 9 years of trying to get on before I was finally picked up.

I had to move south out of Ohio before I got picked up.

Posts: 1836 | Location: In NC trying to get back to VA | Registered: March 03, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post

Posts: 3232 | Location: Middle Earth, Rivendell | Registered: November 13, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mrapteam666:
Don't give up.

I don't have 9 years in me, I'm almost an old man at 37. LOL.

Posts: 13109 | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posting without pants
Picture of KevinCW
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by mrapteam666:
Don't give up.

I don't have 9 years in me, I'm almost an old man at 37. LOL.

Good luck. I'd suggest that if this fails, or doesn't fail, either way you shoot me an email on April 5th....

I"ll send you another email before that, regarding the background and poly again.

Strive to live your life so when you wake up in the morning and your feet hit the floor, the devil says "Oh crap, he's up."

Posts: 33287 | Location: St. Louis MO | Registered: February 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I took a brief hiatus to join the Army Reserves, and then I started deploying. I am just getting back into LE after about 5 years.

I have applied all over and couldn't even get an interview.

I spoke with the girlfriend and told her if I didn't get picked up pretty soon, I was going to use my GI Bill and pay my own way through an academy in Ohio, NC or FL.

((I turned 45 in December and I am waiting on word if I will have to go back through the whole VA academy (22 weeks) or just a refresher.))

I know many individuals who paid their way through an academy who lived in GA, Ohio and FL. It made them a more attractive candidate, they didn't have to sign any kind of contract, and it would also transfer to other states.

Posts: 1836 | Location: In NC trying to get back to VA | Registered: March 03, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of msfzoe
posted Hide Post
Good luck in your search.

Posts: 2422 | Location: newyorkistan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ozarkwoods
posted Hide Post
Best of luck!

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 4835 | Location: SWMO | Registered: October 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My sister (who lives in St. Petersburg) sent me a picture of a recruiting flyer for the Pasco County Sheriffs Office.

They are actively hiring and sponsoring applicants for the academy.

I forgot she sent this to me, or I would have posted this earlier.

I am not sure how close this is to your current residence.

Shit don't
mean shit
posted Hide Post
I'm not a cop, but I have a few friends who are. It took some of them quite a bit of time to get picked up. Just keep forging ahead. The non-LEO job market can be real tough too! My sister has been under-employed for about 2 years now. Doesn't get replies to resumes, etc.. It's just tough all over, don't give up!

Posts: 5760 | Location: 7400 feet in Conifer CO | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jack32586
posted Hide Post
I've worked in our Background section from time to time when I was recovering from injury. Just a year ago most recently. I'm only speaking from the point of view here in "Commiefornia" as you put it. A couple words of advice, IMHO.

We pay for bilingual deputies, but most of our non-english speaking population speaks Spanish or Hmong. It would cost extra to hire you, and we wouldn't get the return. I would look for areas that play to your strengths. Customs and Border Patrol is an excellent choice, but know that you will prob end up in LA, Seattle, NY, San Francisco or the like.

The SECRET clearance really doesn't mean anything and its outdated if its 5 min old. An LE background will get much deeper than that. We will talk to everyone you worked for, AND those that worked for you, your neighbors, your neighbors neighbors, and then ask them who they think we should seek out. You will never hear what people have said about you. Personal, financial, professional- we all have a skeleton or five in the closet. Count on them finding it. The Commissioned Officer part is excellent.

One of the big killers for us is Social Media. They will check every Facebook, Twitter, Insagram, Tinder, Grinder and Forum post they can find. If you said it somewhere, there's a good chance they will find it.

Lastly, keep trying. Go to the Acedemy if you can, it will give you that much of a head start. Look at smaller agencies to get your foot in the door, then kick ass there. If your stumbling blocks aren't huge, then it should work out. Like many others have said- sometimes its timing. Best of luck to you sir.

Posts: 206 | Location: S/W Florida | Registered: October 10, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
^ Yeah, the places your Cantonies would be a bonus are all places you wouldn't want to live/work.

Posts: 21105 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do No Harm,
Do Know Harm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cas:
^ Yeah, the places your Cantonies would be a bonus are all places you wouldn't want to live/work.

It's a 5% bonus in Charlotte... 4 year degree is another 10%. Do well and become a field training officer after a couple of years and that's another 5%.

So potentially 20% above base. 15% as guaranteed as it can get.

Knowing what one is talking about is widely admired but not strictly required here.

Although sometimes distracting, there is often a certain entertainment value to this easy standard.
-JALLEN

"All I need is a WAR ON DRUGS reference and I got myself a police thread BINGO." -jljones

Posts: 11448 | Location: NC | Registered: August 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
Best wishes, Edmond. I know you've been after it for a while now. Don't give up.

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post