SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Giving the LE thing a last try
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Giving the LE thing a last try Login/Join 
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
Best wishes, Edmond.

Is border patrol active here in central Florida? I don't know.

I know a few people who are Federal Air Marshals. They log a lot of airline miles, but they sleep in their own beds here in the Orlando area when they are not traveling.

How about the state? Have you investigated Florida for that?

I really hope that you get something that works well for you.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30669 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Res ipsa loquitur
Picture of BB61
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rscalzo:
quote:
If I may, on paper you appear to be over qualified for an entry level position

Not really Most of our new hires had four year degrees. All had to have at least two years of college or active duty military time. Many came to use after four or five years of active duty military service and some stayed as a reserve even during their time with us.

As far as getting trained and leaving, many states, mine included have language that makes the employee responsible for the costs if they leave within a certain time period.

The media will paint the profession as one that has no one attempting to get in to but they are clueless as usual. We still have large numbers signing up for our testing process when available.

It took me almost three years to get hired full time. Don't give up.

Obviously, I only know my market.

Posts: 12465 | Registered: October 13, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bunch of savages
in this town
Picture of ASKSmith
posted Hide Post
Edmund,

I feel your frustration. I went through the same thing. College degree, military back ground, blew the physical/written tests out of the water.

But they wanted other qualifications, which I could not provide.

I wish you the best, but in hindsight, I'm glad it did not work out for me. I don't think I could do the job in this day and age.

Kudos to all our LEO's onboard.

-----------------
I apologize now...

Posts: 10552 | Registered: December 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ice age heat wave,
cant complain.
Picture of MikeGLI
posted Hide Post
I know OCSO is hiring a shit load of people right now. Money is better at OPD but Demmings is pushing for more money.

Either way, best wishes on your endeavors.

NRA Life Member
Steak: Rare. Coffee: Black. Bourbon: Neat.

Posts: 9692 | Location: Orlando, Florida | Registered: July 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Step by step walk the thousand mile road
Picture of Sig2340
posted Hide Post
Are you willing to relocate?

I think the intel agencies would love your resume.

Nice is overrated

"It's every freedom-loving individual's duty to lie to the government."
Airsoftguy, June 29, 2018

Posts: 31441 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Good luck Edmond. Sometimes a new career is just timing. Don't get discouraged or give up, sooner or later you'll get a break.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
I wish you luck my friend I know how difficult it can be.

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25421 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Assault Accountant
Picture of 12GA
posted Hide Post
Best of luck to you, Edmond.

Posts: 2583 | Location: Upstate NY | Registered: July 02, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do No Harm,
Do Know Harm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BB61:
quote:
Originally posted by rscalzo:
quote:
If I may, on paper you appear to be over qualified for an entry level position

Not really Most of our new hires had four year degrees. All had to have at least two years of college or active duty military time. Many came to use after four or five years of active duty military service and some stayed as a reserve even during their time with us.

As far as getting trained and leaving, many states, mine included have language that makes the employee responsible for the costs if they leave within a certain time period.

The media will paint the profession as one that has no one attempting to get in to but they are clueless as usual. We still have large numbers signing up for our testing process when available.

It took me almost three years to get hired full time. Don't give up.

Obviously, I only know my market.

Any modern, mid size to large agency wants the best cannidates they can get. We have guys with master's degrees, retired military, business professionals, etcetera. Hell, last class I taught at our academy we had a Navy SEAL and an attorney as recruits.

OP, if you are willing to relocate, my agency has a big hiring push. Starting salary is decent, top pay with a bachelor's degree is over $70,000, retirement in my state is stable.

With your qualifications, you would make over $50,000 by your second year.

Knowing what one is talking about is widely admired but not strictly required here.

Although sometimes distracting, there is often a certain entertainment value to this easy standard.
-JALLEN

"All I need is a WAR ON DRUGS reference and I got myself a police thread BINGO." -jljones

Posts: 11448 | Location: NC | Registered: August 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Border Patrol. They are crying for applicants.

You might have to relocate.

"Some people are alive today because it's against the law to kill them".

Posts: 8228 | Location: Arizona | Registered: August 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GWbiker:
Border Patrol. They are crying for applicants.

You might will almost certainly have to relocate.

FIFY. Wink

Posts: 32508 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
Check "Other" when the box comes up for self identification....

many departments are constantly trying to better balance their Affirmative Action ratios....(sighs and shakes his head)

(I know that the better person should get the job-but I have seen departmental higher up pass twenty qualified persons to get to a minority application package)

Also, realize that some agencies will routinely pass applicants on the first application package....for the same reasons I just mentioned...

It's not right, it's not how it should go, and it certainly cannot be proven....but it happens

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11280 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by chongosuerte:
OP, if you are willing to relocate, my agency has a big hiring push. Starting salary is decent, top pay with a bachelor's degree is over $70,000, retirement in my state is stable.

With your qualifications, you would make over $50,000 by your second year.

Chongo,

Please e-mail me. My friend in Kinston is looking to get into LE.

Posts: 13111 | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MikeinNC:
Check "Other" when the box comes up for self identification....

many departments are constantly trying to better balance their Affirmative Action ratios....(sighs and shakes his head)

(I know that the better person should get the job-but I have seen departmental higher up pass twenty qualified persons to get to a minority application package)

Also, realize that some agencies will routinely pass applicants on the first application package....for the same reasons I just mentioned...

It's not right, it's not how it should go, and it certainly cannot be proven....but it happens

I'm the "wrong" minority and when I say that, I'm the minority they're not looking to hire.

How many Chinamen you seen in LE (besides in China)? Big Grin

Posts: 13111 | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Joie de vivre
Picture of sig229-SAS
posted Hide Post
OP; I know you are in CF, if you are willing to move north, Jacksonville, I understand they are down a huge amount of LEO's, might check that out. It so understaffed that a xfer can only happen if there is a back fill.

Posts: 3851 | Location: 1,960' up in Murphy, NC | Registered: January 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of JR78
posted Hide Post
We just hired a gentleman that had a successful law practice for 20 years. He sold it and we hired him. He starts the academy on Monday. He smoked the PAT test. Know what his reason for the change was? "I always wanted be be a cop, like my Dad".

Posts: 1964 | Location: DFW | Registered: December 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
Good luck, Edmond!

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A day late, and
a dollar short
Picture of Warhorse
posted Hide Post
Best of luck!

Posts: 13680 | Location: Michigan | Registered: July 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Casuistic Thinker and Daoist
Picture of 9mmepiphany
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Edmond:
How many Chinamen you seen in LE (besides in China)? Big Grin

That brings back memories

I was the first Chinese deputy hired by our Sheriff's department when I got hired in 1979...it was a <400 person department. When I retired after 28years, the department had grown to >1200 and we had about 30 Asian officers. We even had a Chinese Captain who was fluent in Cantonese, Mandarin, and Spanish

The local PD numbered about the same and they had close to 100 Asian officers. This was during the birth of the Southeast Asian gang problem

No, Daoism isn't a religion

Posts: 14184 | Location: northern california | Registered: February 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Man of few words

Picture of remsig
posted Hide Post
Best of luck to you Edmond!

Posts: 7859 | Location: NE Ohio | Registered: July 03, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post