SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Cleaning a concrete driveway
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Cleaning a concrete driveway Login/Join 
Knows too little
about too much
Picture of rduckwor
posted
I spent a couple of hours yesterday cleaning the driveway. About half way thru, the magic cleaning device ran out of "magic" and quit. New one on the way and I hope it will hold up so I can finish the rest of the job.

Anyway, is it worth trying to seal this concrete to try to keep it cleaner? or am I whizzing in the ocean?

Surface is in good condition, but I live in the South and mildew gets to live wherever it wants down here.

Thanks,

RMD

TL Davis: “The Second Amendment is special, not because it protects guns, but because its violation signals a government with the intention to oppress its people…”
Remember: After the first one, the rest are free.

Posts: 20321 | Location: L.A. - Lower Alabama | Registered: April 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
Best advice here in the south is to just pressure wash it when it needs cleaning. Beating mold/mildew is a losing game. I pressure wash my driveway twice a year to keep it looking as good as possible.

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've had good results using a witches brew of a quart of bleach, a cup of borax & 4gals of water all in a bucket, big squirt of dawn to suds up & hold the mixture on the concrete and using a stiff push broom to move across the stains & the grime. I let it sit for 10 minutes then more push brooming & finally rinsed off with pressure washer. I had a dark mold/mildew stains due to tree shade. Came out nice, satisfied with the results. Cost me a lot less than concrete cleaner. Ps...I never had any experience sealing, might work, but mold & mildew seem ever present.

Posts: 5768 | Location: west 'by god' virginia | Registered: May 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post

Posts: 23448 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks! I see this product is also available for use as hose-end sprayer. Have a 2 story that I can't reach with my brush. I should be able to blast it. Thanks again.

Posts: 5768 | Location: west 'by god' virginia | Registered: May 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of downtownv
posted Hide Post
quote:

Anybody have success with this on gutter and down spouts?

https://www.teampython.com

Posts: 8354 | Location: 18 miles long, 6 Miles at Sea | Registered: January 22, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Avoiding
slam fires
Picture of 45 Cal
posted Hide Post
Be careful with the pressure washer on drive ways.
They erode the cream top layer after several uses of the washer[ask me how I know this]
But it improves traction if your drive is up hill.
Also your days of walking barefoot on it will be over. Wink

Posts: 22410 | Location: Georgia | Registered: February 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cparktd
posted Hide Post
Can't stop the mildew but you can help reduce it maybe, and reduce future stains and make cleaning easier. I have about 2500 sq feet of patio and drive so I'm looking at getting one of these, maybe this one from northern.
http://www.northerntool.com/sh..._200659584_200659584
https://youtu.be/gMa5heVZvBA

Is the drive sealed?
Does it darken and soak in water or does water mostly bead up on it?

To help preserve the life of the drive it should be sealed with a penetrating sealer.

Research Silane and Siloxane concrete sealers. This is what I used.
http://www.ccc-usa.com/products/super-seal-m

The manufacturer said for maximum protection I could apply the penetrating sealer first and then a year later apply a surface sealer. But it's the penetrating sealer that is most important. Top layer coatings are primarily for looks.

If it ain't woke... don't fix it.

Posts: 4129 | Location: Middle Tennessee | Registered: February 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Knows too little
about too much
Picture of rduckwor
posted Hide Post
I had the home owners' version of that made by Troy and it failed on me. The drive is not sealed.

Thanks for the links.

RMD

TL Davis: “The Second Amendment is special, not because it protects guns, but because its violation signals a government with the intention to oppress its people…”
Remember: After the first one, the rest are free.

Posts: 20321 | Location: L.A. - Lower Alabama | Registered: April 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Good enough is neither
good, nor enough
posted Hide Post
I always presssure wash before sealing or resealing.

There are 3 kinds of people, those that understand numbers and those that don't.

Posts: 2034 | Location: Liberty, MO | Registered: November 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cne32507
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rduckwor:
I had the home owners' version of that made by Troy and it failed on me. The drive is not sealed.

Thanks for the links.

RMD

Chin up rduck; we have the real mold down here on the mosquito coast. Nasty, embedded shit.

I broke down this year and hired a professional house wash service. Best $350 dollars I ever spent (outside of pistols). Two story house and driveway shines like a new SIG.

Posts: 2520 | Location: High Sierra & Low Desert | Registered: February 03, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wrightd
posted Hide Post
Uh, new Sigs don't shine, they glow.

+1 on a professional house wash, best money spent. I have the same problem with my concrete. When I pressure wash it next time, I'm going to seal it. I didn't know it was possible until recently.

Lover of the US Constitution
Wile E. Coyote School of DIY Disaster

Posts: 8682 | Location: Nowhere the constitution is not honored | Registered: February 01, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post