SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Bedroom clock recommendations?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Bedroom clock recommendations? Login/Join 
Charmingly unsophisticated
Picture of AllenInAR
posted
For several years I've had this big, clunky CD-playing, non-DST-adjusting behemoth of a bedside table clock. Today it dawned on me (no pun intended) that I don't use ANY of the features. I use my iPhone for 'go to sleep music' and a nice gentle wake up (when I don't get up before alarm time).

Silly me, I thought finding a simple clock with adjustable brightness and capable of adjusting to DST would be easy. Instead I find them with all manner of gizmos, and the relatively simple ones seem to be all battery powered (or USB, w/o the block to go into an outlet).

Any ideas? I'm curious as to what the hive mind might cook up. Big Grin

The artist formerly known as AllenInWV

Posts: 16188 | Location: Harrison, AR | Registered: February 05, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
I have one of these. I don't use it for an alarm any more, but my old eyes can tell the time in the middle night without putting my glasses. It's accurate (atomic clock) and automatically adjusts to daylight savings.

I use my iPhone as an alarm clock.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23251 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Good enough is neither
good, nor enough
posted Hide Post
Get one that projects time on the ceiling. I won’t be without one ever again.

There are 3 kinds of people, those that understand numbers and those that don't.

Posts: 2034 | Location: Liberty, MO | Registered: November 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I am in the same boat as you. I have been looking at:
Sony ICF-C1PJ
Has a phone charger and time projector. Very small. 4.5 X 4.2 I don't think it has the atomic feature but does have battery backup.
I am leaning towards Sony as my old Sony has lasted 30 years!

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16088 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Truth Seeker
Picture of StorminNormin
posted Hide Post
I use an alarm clock app for either my iPhone or iPad. It has adjustable brightness, can play music to go to sleep or wake up to. It shows the weather and is reliable. The app is called Alarm Clock.

NRA Benefactor Life Member

Posts: 8668 | Location: The Lone Star State | Registered: July 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cruising the
Highway to Hell
Picture of 95flhr
posted Hide Post
I just use the phone.

“Government exists to protect us from each other. Where government has gone beyond its limits is in deciding to protect us from ourselves.”
― Ronald Reagan

Retired old fart

Posts: 6486 | Location: Near the Beaverdam in VA | Registered: February 13, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of dlc444
posted Hide Post
I have one that projects the time on the ceiling as well. I am fairly myopic without glasses and I can see the ceiling just fine.

-.---.----.. -.---.----.. -.---.----..
It seems to me that any law that is not enforced and can't be enforced weakens all other laws.

Posts: 4357 | Location: Tampa | Registered: August 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because something is legal to do doesn't mean it is the smart thing to do.
posted Hide Post
I had one also. I could see the ceiling but without my glasses I couldn't read the time.

Retired now so I don't need a clock

Integrity is doing the right thing, even when nobody is looking.

Posts: 4134 | Location: Metamora MI | Registered: October 31, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Charmingly unsophisticated
Picture of AllenInAR
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by StorminNormin:
I use an alarm clock app for either my iPhone or iPad. It has adjustable brightness, can play music to go to sleep or wake up to. It shows the weather and is reliable. The app is called Alarm Clock.

I have a similar app, and it's great for the music/alarm....not so great for seeing the time from across the room.

Yooper, I did stumble across that Sony. I'm not sure I want a projector. Sig77, what's the appeal of the projector?

The artist formerly known as AllenInWV

Posts: 16188 | Location: Harrison, AR | Registered: February 05, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Mensch
Picture of kz1000
posted Hide Post
Has served me well for 30 years:

------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Yidn, shreibt un fershreibt"

"The Nazis entered this war under the rather childish delusion that they were going to bomb everyone else, and nobody was going to bomb them. At Rotterdam, London, Warsaw and half a hundred other places, they put their rather naive theory into operation. They sowed the wind, and now they are going to reap the whirlwind."
-Bomber Harris

Posts: 16120 | Location: Ivorydale | Registered: January 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of smlsig
posted Hide Post
We just bought a bunch of alarm clocks for our beach rental that have a USB port to charge your phone while you sleep..
We have received a bunch of compliments on them

------------------
Eddie

Our Founding Fathers were men who understood that the right thing is not necessarily the written thing. -kkina

Posts: 6316 | Location: In transit | Registered: February 19, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
One of the happiest moves we made in our move and retirement was that we no longer have clocks in the bedroom.

We both have watches, hers synched to her phone and iPad, and I have my iPad, and an old not so smart phone. Between those, we’re covered.

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just for the
hell of it
Picture of comet24
posted Hide Post
I to use one that projects onto my ceiling. Easy to see at night.

It was hard to find one that didn't have a display that splashed light into the room.

Because in the end, you won’t remember the time you spent working in the office or mowing your lawn. Climb that goddamn mountain. Jack Kerouac

Posts: 16397 | Registered: March 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Truth Seeker
Picture of StorminNormin
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by AllenInWV:
quote:
Originally posted by StorminNormin:

I have a similar app, and it's great for the music/alarm....not so great for seeing the time from across the room.

Yooper, I did stumble across that Sony. I'm not sure I want a projector. Sig77, what's the appeal of the projector?

I keep my iPhone and iPad on my nightstand right next to my bed so I don’t have an issue with needing to see it from across the room so I have no other suggestions for you. Plus, I hope I sleep through the night to not see the clock until the alarm goes off....lol. Best of luck!

NRA Benefactor Life Member

Posts: 8668 | Location: The Lone Star State | Registered: July 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of adobesig
posted Hide Post
Look at a simple non-ticking alarm clock. it's amazing how simple and nice they are. https://www.amazon.com/Peakeep...t+analog+alarm+clock

Posts: 1089 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: November 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cparktd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gjgalligan:
Retired now so I don't need a clock

Ha Ha! When I retired the company gave me a nice clock in a Mahogany mount. I looked at the Plant Manager and asked him "Is this a joke? What the Hell do I need with this?" LOL!

He replied... OK rub it in...

This message has been edited. Last edited by: cparktd,

If it ain't woke... don't fix it.

Posts: 4129 | Location: Middle Tennessee | Registered: February 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Texas Proud
Picture of texassierra
posted Hide Post
The Palazzo in Vegas has this clock in their rooms. I thought the triple display was really cool. They're difficult to find with only a few places carrying them.

NRA Life Patron

Posts: 1906 | Location: DFW | Registered: March 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Corgis Rock
Picture of Icabod
posted Hide Post
Keep using the iPhone. I put mine on the charger and crash.

“ The work of destruction is quick, easy and exhilarating; the work of creation is slow, laborious and dull.

Posts: 6060 | Location: Outside Seattle | Registered: November 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post

Ceiling projection is nice, and I have it. But I find myself mostly looking at the Walmart bedside clock. They last a few years (@$20 per), but work well while they last. Current version has two alarm settings, though it is getting troublesome to set the alarm times. Time for a new one.

Posts: 10785 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Inject yourself!
posted Hide Post
Ours is failing, I’m thinking one of these:

https://www.marathonwatch.com/...display-alarm-clock/

https://www.marathonwatch.com/...nt-facing-usb-ports/

Do not send me to a heaven where there are no dogs.
Step Up or Stand Aside: Support the Troops !
Expectations are premeditated disappointments.

Posts: 8344 | Location: West | Registered: November 26, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post