SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Woman fined $500 for saving free Delta Air Lines snack
Page 1 2 3 4 5 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Woman fined $500 for saving free Delta Air Lines snack Login/Join 
Corgis Rock
Picture of Icabod
posted Hide Post
We fly maybe once a year. Now, with a major trip to Europe, we are finalizing our Global Entry paperwork. It will help entering the country but also with TSA. It's not just for elite, frequent fliers.
About the apple. Odds are good it was grown in America. As was pointed out the fruit left on the plane had to also pass customs.
About the only wrong she appears to have made was in filling out the custom form.
No doubt the agent was fired from his Walmart greeter job.

“ The work of destruction is quick, easy and exhilarating; the work of creation is slow, laborious and dull.

Posts: 6060 | Location: Outside Seattle | Registered: November 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Be not wise in
thine own eyes
Picture of kimber1911
posted Hide Post
It would give great insight if new posts to this thread would start with:

I believe this was her X offense.
With X being either 1st or 2nd

Then state your position, opinion, or comment.

“We’re in a situation where we have put together, and you guys did it for our administration…President Obama’s administration before this. We have put together, I think, the most extensive and inclusive voter fraud organization in the history of American politics,”
Pres. Select, Joe Biden

“Let’s go, Brandon” Kelli Stavast, 2 Oct. 2021

Posts: 5267 | Location: USA | Registered: December 05, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mikeyspizza
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sgt Neutron:
I don't have an issue with her making a mistake. I could've made the same mistake. And I would've paid the fine, and learned from my mistake, and would be extremely careful in the future. What I Would NOT have done is go to the local "On Your Side" media, and whine about something being "Unfair", so that I could be mocked online.
I agree 100%.

Wonder if we'll ever hear the whole story.

Posts: 4010 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: August 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No double standards
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by arfmel:
It seems to me that after we get serious about the hordes of illegal IMMIGRANTS crossing our borders, carrying God only knows what, then we can worry about US citizens carrying an illegal apple off an aircraft in a plastic bag....

That got me thinking. Seems she flew into Denver. Had she flown into SFO or LAX, there would be no issue. Just claim the apple was undocumented, they would have a celebration. Smile

"Liberty lies in the hearts of men and women. When it dies there, no constitution, no law, no court can save it....While it lies there, it needs no constitution, no law, no court to save it"
- Judge Learned Hand, May 1944

Posts: 30668 | Location: UT | Registered: November 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of redleg2/9
posted Hide Post
I believe that everyone is missing a very important fact.

Had it been a banana, or orange, or even a kumquat, no one would have cared.

However, US Customs is charged with the protection of the US. This woman was caught trying to bring in an APPLE!

Remember how it turned out the first time a woman had an apple – yep, expulsion from the Garden of Eden and the start of Original Sin.

Thank you US Customs. God might not have been so lenient this time. Big Grin

“Leave the Artillerymen alone, they are an obstinate lot. . .”
– Napoleon Bonaparte

http://poundsstudio.com/

Posts: 2274 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: January 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted Hide Post
I wonder if Delta declared their leftover apples.

Posts: 17887 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Oz_Shadow:
I wonder if Delta declared their leftover apples.

All garbage coming off an international flight, at the first point of disembarkation, must be put in sealed bags, and cannot reach the lowest step on the stairs or reach the ground; it has to be taken directly to a customs incinerator for disposal. They don't declare them, but they do have to dispose of them.

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No double standards
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by darthfuster:
Mindlessness is the primary product of bureaucracies.

While not Customs, rather TSA, last Dec I was traveling, am TSA approved, went through the scanner, it went off, seems I had my prescription sunglasses/case in my pocket. I took it out, handed it to the TSA fellow standing to the side. I went through a second time, no problem. But when I got through and went to the belt to get my carry-on bag, my sunglasses were gone. They looked all around-under-over-through, no one could find them (they cost ~$200). I went to the TSA supervisor at the desk behind the security area, she said they were out of "lost luggage" cards, they had given them all out as they were experiencing a high volume of "lost luggage".

I have declining confidence in the quality or integrity of rank and file bureaucrats (and their bosses).

"Liberty lies in the hearts of men and women. When it dies there, no constitution, no law, no court can save it....While it lies there, it needs no constitution, no law, no court to save it"

Posts: 30668 | Location: UT | Registered: November 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Most of us have done it, if you really look at the list. No Legumes.....AKA Nuts, who hasn't had a pack of nuts in their bag etc. when traveling.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Something wild
is loose
Picture of Doc H.
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by redleg2/9:
I believe that everyone is missing a very important fact.

Had it been a banana, or orange, or even a kumquat, no one would have cared.

However, US Customs is charged with the protection of the US. This woman was caught trying to bring in an APPLE!

Remember how it turned out the first time a woman had an apple – yep, expulsion from the Garden of Eden and the start of Original Sin.

Thank you US Customs. God might not have been so lenient this time. Big Grin

Actually, biblical translations only specify "fruit" in Genesis. A kumquat would do. Or mango or quince. Just sayin'....

"And gentlemen in England now abed, shall think themselves accursed they were not here, and hold their manhoods cheap whiles any speaks that fought with us upon Saint Crispin's Day"

Posts: 2746 | Location: The Shire | Registered: October 22, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rail-less
and
Tail-less
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigmonkey:
quote:
Originally posted by Dusty78:...When I was 9 I snuck a tortoise into the country from Chile in a fanny pack. Fed him lettuce in the bathroom. I turned out alright Big Grin

My turtle wants to know what happened to the "undocumented" tortoise?

He’s chillin’ at the zoo

Posts: 13190 | Location: Charlotte, NC | Registered: May 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lighten up and laugh
Picture of Ackks
posted Hide Post
Even if the passenger is to blame the smart move for Delta would be to pay her fine for the PR. We love our customers and will do a better job of announcing that passengers can't take fruit off the plane.

Posts: 7934 | Registered: September 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No double standards
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ackks:
Even if the passenger is to blame the smart move for Delta would be to pay her fine for the PR. We love our customers and will do a better job of announcing that passengers can't take fruit off the plane.

You make sense.

Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:

Maybe, but Delta can't be responsible for every dumb thing a passenger does after exiting a Delta flight. (nor would they necessarily want to set such a precedent)

Posts: 17733 | Registered: August 12, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lighten up and laugh
Picture of Ackks
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LDD:

Maybe, but Delta can't be responsible for every dumb thing a passenger does after exiting a Delta flight. (nor would they necessarily want to set such a precedent)

Absolutely not, but customer service isn't about the letter of the law and they handed the food packet out without announcements. Yes, the passenger is to blame and should have known the rules, but that is probably something I would have done as well. Heck, that is something I've done on domestic flights.

It is just my opinion, but in this situation they could spend $500 and get a lot more than that in PR while saying it is a one time deal. Our passenger made a mistake with the Delta food package we handed out, but we love our customers and are paying the fine. To prevent any confusion in the future we'll now be announcing on all our international flights that passengers must consume the complimentary items or leave them behind. All the follow up stories will be about what Delta did for their customer. If it happens again down the line then it's on the passenger and Delta won't have to do anything.

Posts: 7934 | Registered: September 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No double standards
posted Hide Post
Sidenote to Ackks:. Maybe your attitude is why my wife and I fly almost exclusively Delta. Smile

posted Hide Post
quote:

No, it wouldn't be the smart thing. Whether she's done it before or not, she was made aware prior to getting off the airplane. Everyone is. It's asked on the declaration, it's asked in person, and she would have been told.

That said, it's a freaking apple. People are told not to bring water bottles and liquids over three ounces all the time, and show up at the screening line with things they can't take through. That's what the big bins are for. No different if someone has an article of fruit they can't carry through. Drop it in the bin, and move on.

Five hundred dollars is asinine, regardless of whether she carried an apple through before. It's a goddamn apple. What is she supposed to be, some kind of repeat-offender serial apple-carrier? Find it, chuck it, be done. It's not like she was carrying weapons grade plutonium.

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Save today, so you can
buy tomorrow
posted Hide Post
I remember seeing at the airport last week right before we entered Immigration (before Customs), there was a sign that said "Declare It, Dispose It or Pay Fine". I declared that we were bringing in some food, but did not itemize as I am not sure how to correctly describe the food (some sort of fruit we got from Japan). I described to the Customs Officer what we were bringing it the best I can. He then waived us through.

I think they just want to make sure that a passenger actually declares it if something is being brought into the country.

About the apple incident, if this was her second offense (documented by Customs), then the fine imposed is justified (IMO). But if this was her first offense, then I think the Customs Officer could have just confiscated the apple and dispose it. Obviously, the officer followed the printed warning at the arrival area.

Posts: 1886 | Location: Las Vegas | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Scoutmaster:
quote:

You make sense.

It’s been a while but the last time I flew international the flight attendants passed out forms for customs declarations then spent at least 5 minutes going over every single detail. Do they not do that anymore? If so, I agree the lady should know better with or without GES.

Posts: 3954 | Location: UNK | Registered: October 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Even if the passenger is to blame the smart move for Delta would be to pay her fine for the PR.

I don't think the fine is her biggest concern.

quote:

Tadlock said the innocent mistake could end up costing her bigger than just the $500 fine – she could also lose her Global Entry Status...

Doubt Delta can help her with that.

I notice nobody who's been protesting the unfairness of it all has anything to say when the Mediterranean Fruit Fly and other incidents, which were precipitated in likewise "innocent" ways, are brought up.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post