SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    2008 Expedition strange a/c issue? Techs?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

2008 Expedition strange a/c issue? Techs? Login/Join 
posted
My Expedition today for some reason the a/c (both front and rear a/c's) stopped blowing air cooling or anything. The dashboard display acts normal and can change the temp, fan speed. etc. But nothing blows out of either the front or rear vents. WEll then after driving for like 15 mins it will just start working again. Sometimes yes, sometimes not. Any ideas on what might be the culprit. The dash display appears to be working normal at all times.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
Does anything come out the defroster??
Sounds like your blend door actuator is bad. The plastic teeth are likely worn but will catch occasionally.

My Explorer did the same though I did not have the fancy climate control.
What a gigantic pain had to rip out the ENTIRE dash to get to it.

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25410 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Black92LX:
Does anything come out the defroster??
Sounds like your blend door actuator is bad. The plastic teeth are likely worn but will catch occasionally.

My Explorer did the same though I did not have the fancy climate control.
What a gigantic pain had to rip out the ENTIRE dash to get to it.

No air flows out of anything until it decides to start working.

Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
I've got the same problem with my Camry. Well a little bit different symptoms but it's the electric Blend door actuators.

Mine is in the shop right now. I'll post later in the thread I've got running here once I get a final diagnosis and repair, but it'll run me about $700 labor and just under $200 for the part. Dash has to be pulled.

Good luck to you.

Posts: 11837 | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Only the strong survive
Picture of 41
posted Hide Post
Drive over some speed bumps. Possible bad electrical connection.

Posts: 11828 | Location: Herndon, VA | Registered: June 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm going to drop it off tomorrow. I'm super busy right now with my business and backed up at least 3 weeks since the Fort Lauderdale Boat Show, so it couldn't have come at a more inconvenient time.

His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
quote:
But nothing blows out of either the front or rear vents. WEll then after driving for like 15 mins it will just start working again.

Can you hear the blower motor?

Posts: 27929 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by egregore:
quote:
But nothing blows out of either the front or rear vents. WEll then after driving for like 15 mins it will just start working again.

Can you hear the blower motor?

No blower motor running. So, I was going to take it in this morning, but last night pressed on the harness connections on the engine side firewall, they were tight. This morning, started the truck and it was working perfectly. Stop at Subway for breakfast, started the truck and it was working perfectly for my 45 minute drive. Get back to the truck at 7:30 pm, not working.....turn it off, turn it on and the rear blower motor is working......and it feels like the front blower motor is moving a tiny bit of air even though set on high. I think it's a harness connection somewhere, but who knows....this is a weird one.

Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
Intermittent issues are the hardest to find and repair.

It's always better if something is completely broken and nonfunctional.

Posts: 11837 | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Only the strong survive
Picture of 41
posted Hide Post
Sometimes the wires in the connectors can back out when the clip on the individual wire is not seated completely.

Also some corrosion on the wire connectors resulting in a bad connection.

If one of the motors is not turning fast enough, there could be some resistance reducing the current flow due to a bad connection.

You would need a wiring diagram to check the voltage.

Posts: 11828 | Location: Herndon, VA | Registered: June 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Well I didn't have time to take it in. The rear seems to consistently be working fine. The front not moving air at all. It makes me think it's the blower motor or connection to the blower motor for the front a/c. I'm going to try to take it in Monday.

Sig Forum Smart-Ass
Picture of Rotndad
posted Hide Post
IIRC the front blower motor isn't too difficult to access. It's on the passenger side above the feet of the front passenger. While the truck is running and both blowers are on high speed, smack the bottom of the blower motor and see if it starts working. It very well might. It is a pretty easy one to change too. IIRC (again) it has 5 7 or 8mm screws, a connector and possibly a molded hose that provides cold air to the motor windings. Easy peasy. I would also suspect the blower motor resistor. It should be located to the left of the blower motor in the evaporator case.

Dripping water hollows out stone, not through force, but through persistence.
-Ovid

NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Basic Pistol Instructor

Posts: 10192 | Location: Land O Lakes, FLA | Registered: June 18, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raptorman
Picture of Mars_Attacks
posted Hide Post
Sometimes brush dust builds up and interferes with the contact to the armature.

My Nissan did the same thing.

Pull the motor, remove the cooling tube and spray MAF cleaner in it and let the dust run out.

You gotta spray it aggressively wile holding vertical with the hole downward.

Eeewwww, don't touch it!
Here, poke at it with this stick.

Posts: 34108 | Location: North, GA | Registered: October 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
Usually when a blower motor operates intermittently, there is a connection problem somewhere. One that turns up a lot is the blower resistor. It will be mounted somewhere in the evaporator case so the hot resistor is exposed to cooling air. If it has automatic temperature control, this resistor might be part of a module, but there will be a resistor in it somewhere. Also, switches can go bad.

Since I may run into this some day, I'd like to know what, if anything, resolved this.

Posts: 27929 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I went there this morning, really good guy, a friend of a friend. Shop was big enough to park at least 12 cars in it, 3 lifts, 2 clean cut mechanics in addition to himself, clean enough to eat off of the floor, nicely painted walls/floor, couple of really nice hot rods in there, no clutter and well organized. So he gets out his multimeter, but first bangs on the blower motor once with his hand and it starts working.....gets out his multimeter....and wanted to see it fail again to verify it wasn't the module (it hadn't worked in 5 days now) and shut the a/c off turned it on a dozen times and it just kept working). So he told me he'd really like to see it failed again to rule out the module but he's 90% sure it's the blower motor. He said the module is easy to change if it is. Anyways, so I left it and he couldn't duplicate it again. He changed the blower motor ($72) and charged me for 1/2 an hour of labor ($45) and I tried to make him charge me an hours labor and he wouldn't.....