SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Job opening in South Florida for qualified snake hunters
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Job opening in South Florida for qualified snake hunters Login/Join 
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted
Snake hunters, yeah, not your garden snake, or even a few water moccasins nope big ol Pythons.

Wanted: South Florida python hunters for hire

James Bales, a wildlife officer for the Miccosukee Tribe, holds a 15-foot female Burmese python found along a levee on the reservation off Alligator Alley Monday.

The female was breeding with four males in a ‘mating ball’ when officers found them. They killed the female and two males. The other two males escaped. Courtesy of Miccosukee Tribe of Florida

South Florida water managers may amp up the state’s failing war against the Burmese python with a new weapon: a paid python posse.

On Thursday, the South Florida Water Management District will consider a proposal to hire hunters, paying them by the hour, plus a bonus for every snake killed, as part of a two-month, $175,000 pilot project. Hunters would patrol only district land in Miami-Dade County, which includes the vast water conservation area where remote tree islands offer hiding places perfectly suited for the well-camouflaged snakes.

The district declined to provide more details until after the presentation is made to the governing board.

Controlling the pythons has vexed biologists and wildlife officers who have been outgunned by the slithery invaders, which can lay clutches of up to 50 eggs at a time. The snakes started turning up in the marshes, either dumped by unhappy owners or escapees from breeding facilities, in the 1980s, and by about 2000 were firmly established. In September, state wildlife officers confirmed that pythons had also spread to the Keys after they found hatchlings for the first time.

$175,000
The amount of money available for a two-month pilot program to pay hunters to slay pythons on state land in Miami-Dade County.
Over the years, biologists have tested a variety of strategies to contain the snakes, including releasing females outfitted with radio trackers to act as ‘Judas’ snakes, snake-sniffing dogs and an iPhone app that lets people immediately report a snake sighting. This past year, the state hired a pair of Irula tribesmen, whose ancestors helped hunt pythons to extinction in India, to track down snakes. And, while it failed to significantly reduce the number of snakes and was largely meant to enlighten the public, the state’s Python Challenge drew the most attention, with headlines around the world.

Posts: 23454 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Poacher
posted Hide Post
Seems like simply offering a bounty would get people o hunt them, if they wouldn't do it for free.

NRA Life Member

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Teddy Roosevelt

Posts: 2242 | Location: Newnan, GA USA | Registered: January 24, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Big Stack
posted Hide Post
Have the Pythons started acclimatizing to the colder weather, and started moving north yet?

Edit:

Apparently yes.

http://cbs12.com/news/local/in...ing-to-migrate-north

Posts: 21240 | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Avoiding
slam fires
Picture of 45 Cal
posted Hide Post
Typical gov thinking,hourly employees.
put a decent bounty and watch those suckers disappear.

Posts: 22410 | Location: Georgia | Registered: February 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
Make it illegel to kill them and let it "leak" that the Python heart will make a man strong and virile, and a women young and atractive.

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43882 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BBMW:
Have the Pythons started acclimatizing to the colder weather, and started moving north yet?

Edit:

Apparently yes.

http://cbs12.com/news/local/in...ing-to-migrate-north

The last freeze we had here in Tampa was in January 2010. Cold weather hasn't been much of an impediment.

Posts: 995 | Location: Tampa | Registered: July 27, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of heisrizn
posted Hide Post
"two males escaped"?

Posts: 1549 | Location: Fayetteville, NC | Registered: April 05, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rumors of my death
are greatly exaggerated
Picture of coloradohunter44
posted Hide Post
Yes, put a bounty on them and let the locals have at it.

"Someday I hope to be half the man my bird-dog thinks I am."

FBLM LGB!

Posts: 10909 | Location: Commirado | Registered: July 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Persian
Picture of PPGMD
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Poacher:
Seems like simply offering a bounty would get people o hunt them, if they wouldn't do it for free.

They already do have a yearly Python bounty program.

http://www.foxnews.com/science...nnual-challenge.html

-------
A turbo: Exhaust gasses go into the turbocharger and spin it, witchcraft happens, and you go faster.

Mr. Doom and Gloom
"King in the north!"
"Slow is smooth... and also slow.

Posts: 20052 | Location: At the wall | Registered: February 13, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too old to run,
too mean to quit!
posted Hide Post
Is there not a market for the skins? Could be some good money there, too.

How about the meat? I have no idea about pythons, but rattler tastes good.

Elk

There has never been an occasion where a people gave up their weapons in the interest of peace that didn't end in their massacre. (Louis L'Amour)

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical. "
-Thomas Jefferson

"America is great because she is good. If America ceases to be good, America will cease to be great." Alexis de Tocqueville

FBHO!!!

The Idaho Elk Hunter

Posts: 25643 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 16, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Avoiding
slam fires
Picture of 45 Cal
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PPGMD:
quote:

Did you you read the amount,$25.00
Not worth the time ,hell its like the state is so poor and that is a chency price.

Posts: 22410 | Location: Georgia | Registered: February 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 45 Cal:
quote:
Originally posted by PPGMD:
quote:

Did you you read the amount,$25.00
Not worth the time ,hell its like the state is so poor and that is a chency price.

Actually the hunters had to PAY $25 to participate... it wasn't a bounty, it was a competition you had to pay to enter.

Posts: 435 | Location: Utah | Registered: March 01, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Corgis Rock
Picture of Icabod
posted Hide Post
This year's hunt got 106 snakes. That was from 600 hunters over a month.

The hunter get to keep the snakes once the state finishes with them. Seems hunters can sell them for $150. Days ne "lucky" hunter caught 13, including the largest. He was also bitten in the face and arm.

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/10...red-in-florida-hunt/

“ The work of destruction is quick, easy and exhilarating; the work of creation is slow, laborious and dull.

Posts: 6060 | Location: Outside Seattle | Registered: November 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of craigcpa
posted Hide Post
So, what caliber? Confused

==========================================
Just my 2¢

Clowns to the left of me, Jokers to the right ♫♫♫

Posts: 7731 | Location: Raleighwood | Registered: June 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of taco68
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by craigcpa:

^^^^^ 50 BMG!!!^^^^^

Sigs P-220, P-226 9mm, & P-230SL (CCW)

Posts: 2539 | Location: Icebox of the Nation | Registered: January 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too old to run,
too mean to quit!
posted Hide Post
I figure a 3 or 3.5 inch 12 gauge magnum loaded with OO shot would deal with them.

Elk

There has never been an occasion where a people gave up their weapons in the interest of peace that didn't end in their massacre. (Louis L'Amour)

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical. "
-Thomas Jefferson

"America is great because she is good. If America ceases to be good, America will cease to be great." Alexis de Tocqueville

FBHO!!!

The Idaho Elk Hunter

Posts: 25643 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 16, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of EasyFire
posted Hide Post
If the state were to put a big bounty on them, I am sure some of those Florida rednecks would be raising them in the garage. Then turning them in for the bounty at 12 inches long. Smile

EasyFire [AT] zianet.com
----------------------------------
NRA Certified Pistol Instructor
Colorado Concealed Handgun Permit Instructor
Nationwide Agent for >
US LawShield > https://www.texaslawshield.com...p.php?promo=ondemand
CCW Safe > www.ccwsafe.com/CCHPI

Posts: 1441 | Location: Denver Area Colorado | Registered: December 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Poacher
posted Hide Post
I haven't lived in FL since 96 when you still couldn't hunt gators, and don't know what it takes to get a tag for one now, but if it is lottery or a small chance of getting a tag, use that as incentive.
Kill XX phythons, get a gator tag.

NRA Life Member

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Teddy Roosevelt

Posts: 2242 | Location: Newnan, GA USA | Registered: January 24, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by taco68:
quote:
Originally posted by craigcpa:

^^^^^ 50 BMG!!!^^^^^
4 gauge shotty:

Link to original video: https://youtu.be/8uJouw9uh84

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23255 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stangosaurus Rex
Picture of Tommydogg
posted Hide Post
We did not have a freeze this year on the Treasure Coast. It should be a good snake year. My cats go on the porch but inside the screened in enclosure. I guess I better keep some 00 buck loaded for one of them big basteges!

Beth Greene

Posts: 7841 | Location: South Florida | Registered: January 09, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post