SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Secure File Sharing for Small Business (Real Estate)
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Secure File Sharing for Small Business (Real Estate) Login/Join 
eh-TEE-oh-clez
Picture of Aeteocles
posted
My wife is starting a new career as a real estate, and we're looking for a secure file sharing platform to use with clients.

My wife currently uses Google's G Suite services for basically everything--Gmail, Drive, Sheets, Hangouts chat, etc. My understanding is that Google encrypts all data at rest, so stuff stored within the Apps while in the cloud is encrypted.

Data traveling to and from G Suite services to our devices are encrypted using HTTPS and PFS. We also use Tunnel Bear VPN whenever on a public network.

At the device level, we are using Google phones with hardware encryption for the whole device. Her laptop is currently running Windows 10, but I'll upgrade it to Windows 10 Pro shortly when I can confirm that her laptop has the TPM module installed.

So, the last link of the chain we need to protect is the data that is sent between our computer and the client. She's looking for a platform that allows her to send documents to a client in an encrypted state, and more importantly, for her to receive documents securely--bank statements, credit reports, things with social security numbers, etc.

Am I being overly cautious? Would emailing stuff like that be secure enough, considering the data is encrypted at rest on the email server, and any copies locally would exist only on encrypted devices?

We're currently using Docusign for signatures, and the computer backup files are encrypted before being sent to the NAS.

Thanks in advance!

Posts: 13047 | Location: Orange County, California | Registered: May 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
I can ask my mortgage guy what his company used, as I just went through this process with him.

He provided a link to his website that would allow me to securely upload my bank statements, pay stubs, all the documentation needed to apply for a mortgage. It was all encrypted and it worked both ways from me to him and him to me IIRC.

Posts: 33777 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
eh-TEE-oh-clez
Picture of Aeteocles
posted Hide Post
Sharefile seems like the one that came out ontop from my quick google search. Anyone have experience with that?

Posts: 13047 | Location: Orange County, California | Registered: May 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PeterGV
posted Hide Post
If she’s looking for something the works in email, and the people with whom she’s corresponding are willing to use what she uses, Voltage (now HP Enterprise) secure email work great, and is very reasonably priced. Check it out here.

We used this at my company for a while, during a security critical issue... very easy to use. Used it with email on the iPhone as well as outlook.

Posts: 1318 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: April 24, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
eh-TEE-oh-clez
Picture of Aeteocles
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PeterGV:
If she’s looking for something the works in email, and the people with whom she’s corresponding are willing to use what she uses, Voltage (now HP Enterprise) secure email work great, and is very reasonably priced. Check it out here.

We used this at my company for a while, during a security critical issue... very easy to use. Used it with email on the iPhone as well as outlook.

Thanks for the suggestion, but clients won't/aren't going to install anything or participate in any way.

We're at the point where some of our clients are going to be millennials. I anticipate that many will not have a personal computer, that their only exposure to a computer will be what they have at work. Many people operate completely from a phone or tablet now. We need to be able to accommodate that.

I don't think it is necessary to secure every communication with the client, just individual files like credit reports and bank statements.

I think Share File has a feature that allows the client to click a link from an email and upload directly that way. That seems pretty easy.

Looking to see if Dropbox has that feature. I wish Google Drive had that feature. Looking to see if anyone's created an app that works with google drive yet.

eh-TEE-oh-clez
Picture of Aeteocles
posted Hide Post
For anyone else doing some research on this subject, looks like I can deploy a script that creates an anonymous upload link to upload into google drive.

posted Hide Post
google has at least 6 partners that provide encrypted email.

Anther choice is adobe acrobat you can lock the file and send the password separately.

a lot of real estate people use a digital signing services.

I think its more useful than encrypted email.

https://www.capterra.com/digital-signature-software/

I have used the DocuSign and Adobe, both worked fine.

Posts: 4743 | Registered: February 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post