New
Find
Notify
Tools

Grill fire Login/Join 
silence is acceptance
Picture of birddog1
posted Hide Post
No advice to offer but my old Weber gas grill used to do that too. Ruined some burgers with that black smoke. Closing the lid usually did the trick but I think we used baking soda once. I only use a Weber charcoal grill now so no more dealing with that

Posts: 2337 | Location: Massillon, OH | Registered: January 22, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lbsid:
Keep a spray bottle of water handy and you can put out most fires with either a spritz or a pour.
I've had some doozies!

Water on a grease fire is NOT a good idea, just makes it spread. You need something dry to smother it like baking soda.

Posts: 33750 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
OK, guess I thought I was the only one. My Weber bottom pan (grease collection fixture) has been catching afire for some time now, and I've simply had a bottle of water handy to cool it off & extinguish the subsequent fire. Might letting the grease burn, and consume itself actually be a safe, effective course of action? Or, do I need to get my lazy butt in gear and clean with Dawn, and comet cleanser? Thanks.

Posts: 590 | Registered: December 28, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sigcrazy7
posted Hide Post
Baking soda is the answer the next time you get a fire. Baking soda is CO2, so tossing on a handful is just like hitting it with a non-chemical fire extinguisher, and you won't have to later clean up.

Demand not that events should happen as you wish; but wish them to happen as they do happen, and you will go on well. -Epictetus

Posts: 8212 | Location: Utah | Registered: December 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of maladat
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigcrazy7:
Baking soda is the answer the next time you get a fire. Baking soda is CO2, so tossing on a handful is just like hitting it with a non-chemical fire extinguisher, and you won't have to later clean up.

Baking soda is NaHCO3, but it does break down into CO2 and some other stuff when heated.

Posts: 6319 | Location: CA | Registered: January 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sigcrazy7
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by maladat:
quote:
Originally posted by sigcrazy7:

Baking soda is NaHCO3, but it does break down into CO2 and some other stuff when heated.

Which a grill fire is sure to do. Wink

That's also why it makes your cake light and fluffy.

Demand not that events should happen as you wish; but wish them to happen as they do happen, and you will go on well. -Epictetus

Posts: 8212 | Location: Utah | Registered: December 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Yeah, that M14 video guy...
Picture of benny6
posted Hide Post
I used to get flare-ups, but then I got rid of my old gas grill and got a pellet grill. No flare-ups and meat comes out tasting great! Food takes longer to cook as the max temp I can get is around 465 on a hot summer day and about 425 on a cold winter day, but it's worth it.

I would like a nice Big Green Egg some day though or a basic Weber, just to have the versatility.

Tony.

Owner, TonyBen, LLC, Type-07 FFL
www.tonybenm14.com (Site under construction).
e-mail: tonyben@tonybenm14.com

Posts: 5394 | Location: Auburndale, FL | Registered: February 13, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Master-at-Arms
Picture of apf383
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jimbo54:
Next time that happens, just put the lid on and close the top vent. Works EVERY time.

Jim

Yup. Mine does that from time to time as well. Youve got to keep up on cleaning that grease tray under the flavor bars. Not a big deal.

Foster's, Australian for Bud

Posts: 7494 | Location: Stuck in NY, FUAC  | Registered: November 22, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of heatinajeep
posted Hide Post
fire triangle boys....

Posts: 1976 | Location: Moody, AL | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by chuck416:
OK, guess I thought I was the only one. My Weber bottom pan (grease collection fixture) has been catching afire for some time now, and I've simply had a bottle of water handy to cool it off & extinguish the subsequent fire. Might letting the grease burn, and consume itself actually be a safe, effective course of action? Or, do I need to get my lazy butt in gear and clean with Dawn, and comet cleanser? Thanks.

Been using my Weber Genesis for 8 years (every other day here in SoCal). No uncontrollable grease fires that were so bad I had to use anything, much less baking soda. Running it on high for ten minutes burns off the grease on the grates and the box. Its not complicated.

The worst I get is a flame up from a rib eye. Shutting the lid and killing the burner directly under it solves the problem.

Posts: 958 | Registered: October 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Crusty old
curmudgeon
Picture of Jimbo54
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by apf383:
quote:
Originally posted by Jimbo54:
Next time that happens, just put the lid on and close the top vent. Works EVERY time.

Jim

Yup. Mine does that from time to time as well. Youve got to keep up on cleaning that grease tray under the flavor bars. Not a big deal.

When I made this comment, I wrongly assumed that the OP was talking about a Weber Charcoal kettle. I keep forgetting that some people have gone over to the dark side with propane grills. Big Grin

Whenever I cook indirect I always use a pan under the meat to catch the grease. This keeps the chance of grease fires to a minimum. When cooking over direct heat I keep the oxygen levels low with the vents and this keeps flare ups rare.

Jim

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll have to be a horrible warning" -Catherine Aird

Posts: 9791 | Location: The right side of Washington State | Registered: September 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Shaql
posted Hide Post
I had a grease fire once. Just once.

Burned the coating off the inside top of the grill.

Watch as that stuff has to be continually scraped off so it doesn't fall off during cooking.

Hedley Lamarr: Wait, wait, wait. I'm unarmed.
Bart: Alright, we'll settle this like men, with our fists.
Hedley Lamarr: Sorry, I just remembered . . . I am armed.

Posts: 6850 | Location: Atlanta | Registered: April 23, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
In the future, use baking soda to put the fire out.

A good vacuuming and scraping. Scrub racks, flavorizers and inside grill. Replace grease drip pan.

All is well, don't ask how i know (×2)

Posts: 1038 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: August 16, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Shaql:
I had a grease fire once. Just once.

Burned the coating off the inside top of the grill.

Watch as that stuff has to be continually scraped off so it doesn't fall off during cooking.

It's not damage to a coating, It's a buildup of grease and smoke residue.

Posts: 958 | Registered: October 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
In the five years I've had the grill, this was a first for me. I'm going to make sure it's the last too. I appreciate all the feedback.

Posts: 220 | Location: SE Pennsylvania | Registered: May 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post