Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Grill fire Login/Join 
posted
So, had a slightly out of control grease fire with my weber grill tonight. Had to give a couple quick shots with an extinguisher to keep it from getting worse. Is it safe to clean the grill and keep using? Get new grates? The grill is ok, I'm concerned about the extinguisher materials with food.

Posts: 220 | Location: SE Pennsylvania | Registered: May 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cparktd
posted Hide Post
I think I would maybe hit it with oven cleaner and then pressure wash it.

If it ain't woke... don't fix it.

Posts: 4129 | Location: Middle Tennessee | Registered: February 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
Dry chemical fire extinguishers typically use monoammonium phosphate powder. Here's a link to a MSDS for that chemical:

http://www.unitedsuppliers.com...9&forcedownload=true

Posts: 26905 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Crusty old
curmudgeon
Picture of Jimbo54
posted Hide Post
Next time that happens, just put the lid on and close the top vent. Works EVERY time.

Jim

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll have to be a horrible warning" -Catherine Aird

Posts: 9791 | Location: The right side of Washington State | Registered: September 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lastmanstanding
posted Hide Post
I had a huge grease fire in one of my trailer smokers a few weeks back. The grease drain had been plugged and I didn't notice. I could tell by the smoke coming out of the stack things weren't right. Once I got within 10 fet of the smoker I could hear the fire howling inside.

I had 4 briskets going and didn't want to lose them. Grabbed welding gloves and managed to save them. It was a heck of a fire when I opened the doors. Soon as the briskets were out I shut the exhaust and intake vents and it was over in 30 seconds.

I have extinguisher mounted on my smoker but I never thought to use it and probably wouldn't have.

I would clean it, pressure wash it and then build a hot bed of coals in it without food before I used it with food again.

"Fixed fortifications are monuments to mans stupidity" - George S. Patton

Posts: 8532 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: June 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Equal Opportunity Mocker
Picture of slabsides45
posted Hide Post
About 15 years ago I had a grease fire on my gas grill. Really out of control, you know the type.

Luckily, my dad came to the rescue with a giant glass of water..... Eek

"You cannot legislate the poor into freedom by legislating the wealthy out of freedom. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving."
-Dr. Adrian Rogers

Posts: 6390 | Location: Mogadishu on the Mississippi | Registered: February 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It's a q300 - gas grill. Thanks for the replies. Looks like a thorough cleaning is all I need.

Posts: 220 | Location: SE Pennsylvania | Registered: May 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Gas Grill?

Do you cook at low/medium temperatures?

It’s probably a build up of grease drippings that haven’t burned off. Run it on high for 15 or twenty minutes to clean it. Keep an eye on it, cause the fire can get substantial.

Then, everytime you finish grilling, run it on high for ten minutes to clean it.

Posts: 958 | Registered: October 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by slabsides45:
About 15 years ago I had a grease fire on my gas grill. Really out of control, you know the type.

Luckily, my dad came to the rescue with a giant glass of water..... Eek

Doh! I knew better than to add water.
Wink

Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post

The pan directly underneath the grills collects grease (not the aluminum foil pan down at the bottom, but the pan you can pull out and scrape clean). This is where I have found all of my grease fires in using the same Weber grill for 15 years.

Posts: 10786 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sean7:
It's a q300 - gas grill. Thanks for the replies. Looks like a thorough cleaning is all I need.

Yes. A thorough cleaning. A scrub brush. A bottle of soap water and use your hose. Spread it all out in the grass and hose it off.

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 24116 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Isn't flour a good option to use for a grease fire?

Edit:
Not so good I see...

Posts: 10055 | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
No not flour ....

salt!

Posts: 206 | Location: CT. | Registered: March 27, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Conveniently located directly
above the center of the Earth
Picture of signewt
posted Hide Post
....fine particulate flour is not only flammable but explosive in certain circumstances....

on the other hand, a heavy wad of flour on a small point source will extinguish....

the term 'grease fire' doesn't suggest 'glass of water' is a likely solution, from what I've been told.

**************~~~~~~~~~~
"I've been on this rock too long to bother with these liars any more."
~SIGforum advisor~
"When the pain of staying the same outweighs the pain of change, then change will come."~~sigmonkey

Posts: 9854 | Location: sunny Orygun | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Back, and
to the left
Picture of 83v45magna
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sean7:

I have a Q320 (same grill with a handle light) and you cannot put out a grease fire by closing the lid. Trust me I know.

Don't be surprised if your firebox got slightly warped by the experience. Mine works just fine but I can tell the lid fits a little differently.

I clean my firebox more proactively now. Use an old credit card, scraping into the drip tray and it works like a charm.

Posts: 7256 | Location: Dallas | Registered: August 04, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by T-Bohn:
No not flour ....

salt!

Or baking soda

Posts: 26905 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by henryaz:

The pan directly underneath the grills collects grease (not the aluminum foil pan down at the bottom, but the pan you can pull out and scrape clean). This is where I have found all of my grease fires in using the same Weber grill for 15 years.

100%. Keep that pan clean and you're golden.

Posts: 3920 | Registered: January 25, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of HayesGreener
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Spokane228:
Gas Grill?

Do you cook at low/medium temperatures?

It’s probably a build up of grease drippings that haven’t burned off. Run it on high for 15 or twenty minutes to clean it. Keep an eye on it, cause the fire can get substantial.

Then, everytime you finish grilling, run it on high for ten minutes to clean it.

Yes, this will solve the problem in the future.

CMSGT USAF (Retired)
Chief of Police (Retired)

Posts: 4358 | Location: Florida Panhandle | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
I had a couple bad flare-ups but quickly doused them with a box of baking soda and it works very well. It's cheap and easy to clean up and won't hurt you in the least if you ingest any.

Posts: 33808 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Keep a spray bottle of water handy and you can put out most fires with either a spritz or a pour.
I've had some doozies!

-------------

The sadder but wiser girl for me.

Posts: 1057 | Location: Idaho Panhandle | Registered: July 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post